Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2022, 03:47   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
PM Archives

From my Control Panel: ➥ https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/private.php
Quote:
You have 1,574 messages stored, of a total 25,000 allowed.
Why is my Private Messaging only archived back to 2018, and/or limited to approx 6% of the number allowed ?
I have only 1,353 PMs stored in my Inbox, going back to 26-03-2018;
and 221 PMs stored in my Sent Items, going back to 27-03-2018.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 14:18   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: PM Archives

Gord, you need help from the webmaster. Use the Contact US button at the bottom of the page, and copy & paste your post into the writing box. It will then go into an administration queue, and that is where the help will be. The webmaster only accepts incoming help requests from the poster, not 2nd hand. if I report it, I get back a message to have the poster do it.

Sorry, but I have no idea why your PM archive only goes back a little way. Perhaps there was a software change then, but the webmaster's the place to go to find a solution.

Ann
Old 08-03-2022, 10:19   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Thanks Ann.
FWIW: Received the following reply [pretty quickly]:

Cruisers & Sailing Forums Contact Us Form
Technical Support
Quote:
Hi Gord - it appears that back in 2018 your account usergroup was changed to/from a marine service provider account. The change was made by ****** (a deceased mod) who did this accidentally when you reported someone else’s commercial posts. Since these accounts have a low PM box limit I surmise that your Pms were jettisoned at that point - but it's only a guess. It's unlikely they can be retrieved but I've asked our programmer if we have a back up that goes back that far.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 13:04   #4

I believe what you were told to be correct. It is what my training administrator wrote to me, also, when I wrote to her about it. A now deceased mod accidentally did the mistake, and now it has had this consequence. Then, someone saw it and changed it back. Could have been during your offline times. That quick. As if the mod had mis-clicked and immediately reported it to an administrator. Maybe the programmer will be able to recover your archived PM's, some of them can do amazing things. I hope they can fix it for you, what a bummer!

Ann
Old 08-03-2022, 14:52   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

"changed to/from a marine service provider account. ... Since these accounts have a low PM box limit".

Wow! That's a major drawback that they don't tell you about a Marine Service Provider account!!!

"Marine Service Providers (non-sponsoring, no fee)
Any member with a marine-related product, service or company, whether for profit or not for profit, may make a request to become a Marine Service Provider Member. This status may also be designated at our discretion.
  • Avatars may not reflect or promote a product, business or service.
  • Marine Service Providers may have their business name incorporated into their signature in standard forum font (size 2). Signatures may not contain any other commercial information.
  • A single link to their business may be included in their profile as their “Home Page URL”, but nowhere else.
  • Marine Service Providers may not use any section of the forum to discuss their products or services unless answering a direct question and even in this case may not quote prices or post links, images, videos or contact details in support of that response.
  • Marine Service Providers are not permitted to discuss competitors or their products."
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 16:07   #6

@StuM,

Are you sure it's a major drawback?

There's always also the e-mail possibility by clicking on their avatar, which bypasses the PM box entirely, and at the Sponsoring Vendor level, they get to have a photolink to their website as part of their signature.

Ann

Tags
arc, archives