Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2023, 03:34   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
“Eternal Members”

Is there a specific Category, Sub-Forum, or Thread, where one can see [or list newly created] all of our “Eternal Members”?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2023, 13:55   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: “Eternal Members”

I don't know.

If you search on posts by <monte>, he is listed as an Eternal Member, under his name. You could try a CF Custom Google search, it's good with concepts.

Sorry.

Ann
Old 29-11-2023, 16:31   #3

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I know that eternal means, something like 'forever lasting or existing'.
But, what is an "eternal member"?
Old 29-11-2023, 16:42   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Deceased, dead or passed member - depending on the customary way of speaking of the departed in your circle.

Usually offered to deceased long term members who have made significant contributions to CF.

I have no idea on who nominates them or approves the change!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2023, 17:18   #5

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Thank you Wotname, that is what I thought.
As Gordmay, and likely as many others, I also often wondered what happens with our posts/name when we depart this world. Many regular posters, seemingly all of a sudden, stop posting. Some I have not seen on CF for years, for instance Coops (yes, another Oz member).

Of course, some of us stop posting for other reasons, other than death, ie changed life style, fallout with CF, having more important things to do than reading and replying to CF posts, deteriorating vision, progressing dementia and a myriad of health issues. I have no access to data of CF membership, but I guess, most of us are 'older'.

We all will stop posting sometime, either as a conscious decision, or our mind or body does not cooperate anymore.
Old 29-11-2023, 17:35   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Is there a specific Category, Sub-Forum, or Thread, where one can see [or list newly created] all of our “Eternal Members”?
First I had a chuckle then I saw you said "eternal"
What I saw was "infernal"
Old 29-11-2023, 20:50   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^^^Dang! Creative reading strikes again!

Ann
Old 29-11-2023, 21:06   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

I was going to complain... I've been around here pretty long. Don't I deserve this special designation!?!

But now that I've learned what you have to do to get it, well... never mind . I'm good .
Old 30-11-2023, 01:28   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I was going to complain... I've been around here pretty long. Don't I deserve this special designation!?!
But now that I've learned what you have to do to get it, well... never mind . I'm good .
Mike: You've only "been around" for about half the Forum's life. Some of our discussions might make that "seem" a very long time, though.

I agree, that the membership requirements, for that particular designation, are a little stringent, for my taste, as well.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2023, 07:11   #10

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
...Usually offered to deceased long term members who have made significant contributions to CF...
I hope that, if I'm ever "offered," I'll be able to refuse!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2023, 12:04   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Although not an "Eternal Member", my avatar is listed with the name "Moderator Emeritus". I remember a number of moderators as an earlier member, but I don't see them listed. I think that maybe Nolex and Janet H were moderators before me as well as a number that are not on the current "Meet the Mods" list. Older mods have faded away! I'll hold off as long as possible for the "Eternal" Tag!
Old 30-11-2023, 12:41   #12

There problem here is, you simply don't know in most cases. Unless someone knows the user personally and posts an announcement, how would you know?

People stop posting for a large number of reasons, even those who had, at some point, been avid posters (Zeehag, MarkJ). Who knows whether someone got sick of the forum, or upset about an incident or exchange. Maybe they found another hobby.

Or....maybe they are no longer with us.

If I got hit by a bus tomorrow, my wife isn't going to create logons on social media forums to announce it to people. I doubt it would even cross her mind. Even the forums I moderate.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2023, 14:48   #13

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
There problem here is, you simply don't know in most cases. Unless someone knows the user personally and posts an announcement, how would you know?

People stop posting for a large number of reasons, even those who had, at some point, been avid posters (Zeehag, MarkJ). Who knows whether someone got sick of the forum, or upset about an incident or exchange. Maybe they found another hobby.

Or....maybe they are no longer with us.

If I got hit by a bus tomorrow, my wife isn't going to create logons on social media forums to announce it to people. I doubt it would even cross her mind. Even the forums I moderate.

That's a good point. Sometimes people just drop off a forum and we don't know why (and they may not care for us to know their reasons for leaving). And if their real name wasn't known to the forum, nobody may correlate an obituary to their username. Other times, a death on the forum gets announced because someone saw an obituary, or someone else on the forum knew the person and heard about their passing.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2023, 15:01   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Mike: You've only "been around" for about half the Forum's life. Some of our discussions might make that "seem" a very long time, though.
Yes... time dilation is real, as Einstein said .

Quote:
I agree, that the membership requirements, for that particular designation, are a little stringent, for my taste, as well.
Yup. Happy to remain outside this club.
Old 30-11-2023, 15:32   #15
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

It is possible for some active (i.e. alive) members to have the user title of 'Eternal Member'.

To check if you are in the select group, go to your control panel (User CP) and select 'Edit Your Details'. If you are permitted to select a custom user title, you will see the appropriate box - follow the prompts!

I gave a moment's thought about changing mine but then got cold feet - did not want to tempt fate. You may be more adventurous!

I have forgotten the criteria that gives some the privilege of a custom user title but I think it was grandfathered change or money had to change hands or some such .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 8.16.55 am.png
Views:	22
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	283935  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags