Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2021, 10:59   #31

Boat: SeaRunner 37, 11.3 metres
Re: Change Date Format?

Not that the hosts are in any way obligated, but I would like to know which format is most popular.

Is there a method for conducting a forum-wide poll?
Old 12-05-2021, 12:44   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

The current version of vB that we run has a global setting to configure the time display. If we make a change, it changes for everyone.

Until we change forum software (which we will at some point) this is what's available.

Community Rules | Advertise on Cruisers Forum
Contribute to Cruisers Wiki | Document your Adventures at Sail Blogs
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 13:17   #33

You read posts like this and understand why there is so much head shaking by those that encounter America's self-centered approach to the universe. Thank goodness Galileo had his inspiration about the place of the earth within the solar system well before our country was founded or we'd have a noisy minority insisting that somewhere in corn country was actually the center of the universe.

It's swapping two sets of two digits in your head..You've got folks on this site adapting without complaint to posts using US units of measure, US English (and poor US grammar at that), but the date formatting.... which you've seen before if you've ever raised your head outside of the 'Merica bubble... is where you draw the line.

Macrophylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 13:19   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
The current version of vB that we run has a global setting to configure the time display. If we make a change, it changes for everyone.

Until we change forum software (which we will at some point) this is what's available.

Then please consider changing the global date time display setting to the international standard of the globe?

ISO-8601 (ISO is the International Standards Organization) is not country specific, though it is also the legal standard of the majority of countries.
Old 12-05-2021, 13:23   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrophylla View Post
You read posts like this and understand why there is so much head shaking by those that encounter America's self-centered approach to the universe. Thank goodness Galileo had his inspiration about the place of the earth within the solar system well before our country was founded or we'd have a noisy minority insisting that somewhere in corn country was actually the center of the universe.

It's swapping two sets of two digits in your head...FFS if you can't handle that I'm not sure you should be allowed internet access. You've got folks on this site adapting without complaint to posts using US units of measure, US English (and poor US grammar at that), but the date formatting.... which you've seen before if you've ever raised your head outside of the 'Merica bubble... is where you draw the line.

I moved to Canada from the US in 2016.

My birthday is 12/9. Or was. Now it's 9/12, but I wasn't born in September!!! That's why when they ask, I say December 9th. Why? Because my doctor uses 9/12 but the marine store uses 12/9.

Not so bad if you're born after 11/11...

Thanks for a hefty and healthy dose of reality.

American Exceptionalism: If we didn't invent it, it didn't happen. Whatever problem we have, we're gonna solve it ourselves even if all the rest of the world already figured out the solution.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 13:26   #36

Wow! Requests for use of the International Standards Organization 8601 standard has raised anti-American hate levels!
Old 12-05-2021, 14:16   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post

And setting it to "j M Y" would avoid any doubts about what is mean by 10/05/2021 for everyone.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 14:20   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

I moved to Canada from the US in 2016.

My birthday is 12/9. Or was. Now it's 9/12, but I wasn't born in September!!! That's why when they ask, I say December 9th. Why? Because my doctor uses 9/12 but the marine store uses 12/9.
Why not say 9th [of] December like most of the world do
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 14:23   #39

Boat: Mirage 35

I have another option to consider: Someone I worked with filed weekly meeting minutes with the date as filename and structured so that today would be filed as "May 12, 2021.docx"

Of course after a few years the files were all neatly sorted by the computer -
April meetings, followed by August meetings, you get the drift.

Never managed to convince her that there might be a better way.
Old 12-05-2021, 14:34   #40

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRN View Post
Wow! Requests for use of the International Standards Organization 8601 standard has raised anti-American hate levels!

I think you just like typing ISO 8601.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 14:35   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
I have another option to consider: Someone I worked with filed weekly meeting minutes with the date as filename and structured so that today would be filed as "May 12, 2021.docx"

Of course after a few years the files were all neatly sorted by the computer -
April meetings, followed by August meetings, you get the drift.

Never managed to convince her that there might be a better way.

Ha! I bet that was fun. But it is for the reason of easy sorting in chronological order that I started years before I learned of the ISO 8601 standard using that format of YYYY-MM-DD (2021-05-12). It's a logical sort order, which is why it was adopted internationally. I grew up using m/d/yy (5/12/21) and never liked it.

According to Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_86...onal_standards there are 40 independent countries and the European Union using the ISO standard as their legal standard.
Old 12-05-2021, 14:37   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Why not say 9th [of] December like most of the world do

Hey, Stu, you gave me away! I do that every other time, just to confuse 'em!

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 15:38   #43
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRN View Post

According to Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_86...onal_standards there are 40 independent countries and the European Union using the ISO standard as their legal standard.
The wiki link is interesting and I note it lists Australia as having adopted this standard yet I haven't seen it in use here. Maybe it gets a guernsey in scientific circles but all the government, financial, medical etc type forms which asks for the date, they want it in dd/mm/yyyy format.

To me the dd/mm/yyyy format makes sense as mostly I am interested in that order in day to day life. I rarely wake up thinking what year is it, more likely I think, what day is it, perhaps on occasion, what month is it . I much more often would say "don't forget we are going to the pub on the third" rather than "don't forget we are going out to the pub in 2022".

However I can see many applications where yyyy/mm/dd would be useful but just not in my day to day existence.

Either way, I know I can convert to the other in a nanosecond.

FWIW, I have never understood the reason for month / day / year but I guess there is one.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 16:01   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
The wiki link is interesting and I note it lists Australia as having adopted this standard yet I haven't seen it use here. Maybe it gets a guernsey in scientific circles but all the government, financial, medical etc type forms which asks for the date, they want it in dd/mm/yyyy format.

Either way, I know I can convert to the other in a nanosecond.

FWIW, I have never understood the reason for month / day / year but I guess there is one.
It's the same here, common usage is m/d/yy, and probably similarly different from the official standard in many places. Also of note the legal standard here is the SI since the late 1800s, and the common usage of feet, pounds, miles, etc., are all defined in the official documents by the SI units. My fellow citizens seem to have a great difficulty in understanding the SI, but we're slowly coming around. I started using the SI as my primary system many years ago, but to talk to people around me I sometimes have to revert to the ancient units...

And a FYI, the international standard uses hyphens to help make it clear and distinctive that the format is the ISO standard, i.e., 2021-05-12.