Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2013, 13:07   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Re: ADVERT CRAP

Have you tried something like MalwareBytes?
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 13:39   #17

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Have you tried something like MalwareBytes?
I was going to try AVG again.

I guess MalwareBytes is worth a try.

Been at it all day. My computer expert friend says that since none of the files seem to be found on my computer it must be coming from the site itself. Kinda like Dell blaming Microsoft and Microsoft blaming Dell. "It's the software, talk to them." "No, it is the computer. Talk to them."

HAH!

MalwareBytes short scan = negative.

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

Full scan now.
Old 16-03-2013, 13:55   #18

Boat: Catalina 36

This is where I would start:
How to remove uncoverthenet.com redirect virus & popups - SafeBro

If it were coming from a particular site, it would happen only when you use that site, no others. ...and.... I can't envision how that would happen...

If it's only been happening for a short while you could always restore your computer to an earlier timepoint.
CatInHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 15:00   #19

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
This is where I would start:
How to remove uncoverthenet.com redirect virus & popups - SafeBro

If it were coming from a particular site, it would happen only when you use that site, no others. ...and.... I can't envision how that would happen...

If it's only been happening for a short while you could always restore your computer to an earlier timepoint.
Thanks Cat.

When I look in all those places to remove those items from the removal link you gave I find none of them. I have followed several instructions from various sites and have found none of the items they say to find and disable or delete. Zero.

I think it happened on Amazon a couple of days ago but not sure. I know it is random when on CF. From the descriptions it should happen a lot. It doesn't. Just every once in a while.

I may go to a restore point but I so hate that due to my updated files I would have to dig out and save. I sometimes forget a few and boy oh boy...........
Old 16-03-2013, 15:05   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I was going to try AVG again.

I guess MalwareBytes is worth a try.

Been at it all day. My computer expert friend says that since none of the files seem to be found on my computer it must be coming from the site itself. Kinda like Dell blaming Microsoft and Microsoft blaming Dell. "It's the software, talk to them." "No, it is the computer. Talk to them."

HAH!

Full scan now.
= Negative.

I do have a history of strange things not acting like a lot of others with the "same" problem.
My sister can't wear a watch - they all stop working. (and she has always been late!)
Maybe it be me and computers.

My ex-Garmin did some things that the tech people said "Wow, I have never heard of that happening. It would be impossible."

Maybe I will just wake up...................
Old 16-03-2013, 15:08   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
= Negative.

I do have a history of strange things not acting like a lot of others with the "same" problem.
My sister can't wear a watch - they all stop working. (and she has always been late!)
Maybe it be me and computers.

My ex-Garmin did some things that the tech people said "Wow, I have never heard of that happening. It would be impossible."

Maybe I will just wake up...................
sounds like you may need that tinfoil hat
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 15:13   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
sounds like you may need that tinfoil hat
I'm thinkin' fer sure.

But can't decide whether to get one with one reflector or two - being a cat guy I am leaning toward two but there are not as many out there and they cost so much............
Old 16-03-2013, 15:17   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
I'm thinkin' fer sure.

But can't decide whether to get one with one reflector or two - being a cat guy I am leaning toward two but there are not as many out there and they cost so much............
a pm to jedi might be the way to go,nic being our resident tin foil hat and mind control expert.......................
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 15:34   #24

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

You want your default browser's address to go to "blank", after starting-up. Check your programs' files, for the most recent add-on date. If you haven't added a new program or any files on that date, out with it! After you clean out your computer, do a defrag TWICE; back to back. My Norton 360 and Norton Utilities will not allow anything to be added without checking it first, and then without my permission. I clean my laptop on a weekly basis, sometimes more often; about 10 minutes' time used for "disk cleanup" and for "optimization scan". Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 08:28   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
You want your default browser's address to go to "blank", after starting-up. Check your programs' files, for the most recent add-on date. If you haven't added a new program or any files on that date, out with it! After you clean out your computer, do a defrag TWICE; back to back. My Norton 360 and Norton Utilities will not allow anything to be added without checking it first, and then without my permission. I clean my laptop on a weekly basis, sometimes more often; about 10 minutes' time used for "disk cleanup" and for "optimization scan". Mauritz
How do you do that?

I didn't think ad-ons were programs in the sense of seeing them in control panel - add/remove programs.
Old 17-03-2013, 09:27   #26

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

If your browser's start-up address is sending you to another address that you did not opt for, get your browser to direct you to a "blank" address. Go over your list of programs/files, and check if anything has a very recent installation/modification date; might need to quaranteen these files. Check if you have programs that you are not familiar with...be very cautious here; some programs, with disguised names, might affect your computer's performance if you remove them. I would stay away from downloading anything in "public domain" or a "free share-ware"; they are laden with bugs and tracking bugs...no exceptions. Do an anti-virus scan, then a "Disk Cleanup", followed by a couple of "Defrags". Red-flagged files obtained through your anti-virus scan, should be investigated and removed. Good luck! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 11:53   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
If your browser's start-up address is sending you to another address that you did not opt for, get your browser to direct you to a "blank" address. Go over your list of programs/files, and check if anything has a very recent installation/modification date; might need to quaranteen these files. Check if you have programs that you are not familiar with...be very cautious here; some programs, with disguised names, might affect your computer's performance if you remove them. I would stay away from downloading anything in "public domain" or a "free share-ware"; they are laden with bugs and tracking bugs...no exceptions. Do an anti-virus scan, then a "Disk Cleanup", followed by a couple of "Defrags". Red-flagged files obtained through your anti-virus scan, should be investigated and removed. Good luck! Mauritz
This problem was not my browser using another address on start up like depicted on some of the googled sites I was looking at. Mine came about when I clicked on page 4 of a CF thread, for instance. It looked like a popup in front of the forum. There was an option to close it but it was annoying. It acted like a popup. I have popups blocked but I know that does not always work on all popups.

I don't know how to look at program dates in a list. I don't know how to see dates of my addons. I only have 6 or 7 I can see. Adobe, one from MS, Java.

I do defrag and disk cleanup but those just sort stuff and take out old dead end paths and such as far as I know.....but,

This computer is new to me having been reformatted a couple of weeks ago and set up by my "computer guy - a company I have been using for 8 years.

He says it is probably the site since it is infrequent and random.

Two different anti-everything programs profess I am clean.
Old 17-03-2013, 13:44   #28

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I think Teknav may be referring to doing a System Restore to an earlier configuration.

Also, have you tried a rootkit scanner?
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 14:22   #29

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
This problem was not my browser using another address on start up like depicted on some of the googled sites I was looking at. Mine came about when I clicked on page 4 of a CF thread, for instance. It looked like a popup in front of the forum. There was an option to close it but it was annoying. It acted like a popup. I have popups blocked but I know that does not always work on all popups.
ooh. I misunderstood. Probably not cf, since no one else has experienced it, but possibly your internet provider. Call and ask if they've had some malware problems as you're having these issues and your computer is clean based on 3 or 4 different cleaning methods.
CatInHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 10:25   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
I think Teknav may be referring to doing a System Restore to an earlier configuration.

Also, have you tried a rootkit scanner?
restore is the ultimate option I know.

No rootkit scanner. Is there a free one? (that works).