Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15-08-2016, 15:35   #1

Turkey to Australia

I'm about to buy a Lagoon 400 in Turkey and plan to sail it to Australia via Gibraltar and Panama. I would appreciate any advice on the trip.
When is the optimum time of the year to cross for Gibraltar to the Caribbean.
I have a couple of friends that are willing to come along for part of the trip, however they are semi retired bulk carrier Masters. I need a person with experience on sailing cats, perferably with RYA cert.

My previous experience:
  • During the seventies crewed on cruising yachts in Sydney to Hobart races, not as a skipper which is a whole different ball game.
  • 1989 bought a 52 ft. ketch and sailed the East coast of Australia with my wife and son for two years.
  • 1990 went into partnership on a 35 metre 250 passenger motor cat doing whale watching off Port Stephens mostly 30 miles off coast.
  • Eventually obtained a masters ticket for a vessel up to 80 metres and worked teaching Masters at Maritime College.
  • Did a few deliveries mostly motor boats, one of note was delivering a 35 metre Wave Piercer Japan to Brisbane, had to divert 200 NM to dodge a cyclone.
Most of my "skippering" experience has been on large motor vessels.

I'm 60 years old and when I tell people about my experience they say I must know what I am doing, well I have learnt enough to know that I really don't know much at all.

Thanks for listening
frankie46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, Turkey