Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2016, 15:37   #1

looking for someone living aboard... Charleston SC

My wife and I talking about living a board a powerboat.. 40 to 45 ft... anyone living aboard in Charleston SC area that we can talk to and or visit to see how things work... Any info would be great... Thanks
Amaksuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 18:52   #2

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Re: looking for someone living aboard... Charleston SC

Tyically live a boards will want electricity and water hook-ups with access to a pump out station. There will be a per month slip fee. $400 - $800 / month or more that will include the hook-ups.

Now...I looked into living on a boat since I already live much of the year in an RV.

You will need to keep birds off the top of your boat and hire a diver to keep scum off the bottom. Also in SC you will need to keep warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

I would advise you live in an RV 1st to see how that works...a boat would work very similar to an RV.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 19:00   #3

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Forgot to talk about living on the hook out in the bays. The fee to live on the hook is cheaper than living in a slip. Once a week or so you would come into the marina to use the dump station, fill with fresh water, get supplies then go back to the hook. Or else do what you can with your dingy.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 06:01   #4

Boat: Pearson 424

I'm a liveaboard in Charleston, what would you like to know?
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 07:03   #5

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

I live in Charleston; great place. Check taxes. They are wicked for boats--in a special and stratospheric category. But not sure about a houseboat. Charleston/state of SC give generous breaks on property tax for primary residences and further breaks if one is over 65. But you need to check this. I would think for a liveaboard a boat would qualify for a primary residence, but a lot of that break will be negated if the boat is taxed in the higher property tax rates assumed for boats. And to add to the fun, each county is different, and Charleston harbor rests in two counties.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:13   #6

Boat: Creekmore 34

Can You recommend the best deal for live aboard marinas (dock or mooring field) and also best deal Boat Yards in Charleston?
Thank You for any local knowledge
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
riggear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:48   #7

Boat: Pearson 424

For the best deal I would suggest you look on Active Captain, I don't know what each marina charges for services.
I know that City Marina charges $3,000 upfront to liveaboards and have heard that Charleston Harbor Marina is going to be doing the same.
There are basically 4 marinas here that allow liveaboards, City Marina, Charleston Harbor, Ashley River(must rent from private slip holders), and St Johns Yacht Harbor.
For access to sailing City, Ashley, and Charleston Harbor marinas are right in Charleston harbor so easy access. All have pluses and minuses, parking is limited at Ashley, costs money to park at City, is a long walk to car at Charleston Harbor. Of the three, City has the best restroom/shower facilities but depending where your boat is slipped could be a long walk. Ashley and Charleston Harbor have terrible facilities. All three are somewhat exposed to wind and waves being in the harbor.
St Johns Yacht Harbor is the by far the best marina, excellent facilities, free parking, close to shopping, located in a quiet salt marsh off the Stono River. The only drawback is access to sailing. You must travel about 1 1/2 miles through the Wappoo Creek(with drawbridge) to get to the Charleston Harbor.
There are some smaller marinas around that might be worth checking out but I have no real info about them. Two that you might search for information for are:
Isle of Palms and Toller's Cove.
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard