Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2017, 09:36   #1

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Pacific Seacraft 380 Opinions

Does anyone have a Pacific Seacraft 380 that they would be willing to share their opinion of. It's the Ericson 38 built by Pacific Seacraft after Ericson went bankrupt. They were built from 1991 until 1998 or 1999.
Opinions on the Pacific Seacraft version of the Ericson 34 would also be helpful.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 13:08   #2

Boat: 1994 Ericson 380, 38'
Re: Pacific Seacraft 380 Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Does anyone have a Pacific Seacraft 380 that they would be willing to share their opinion of. It's the Ericson 38 built by Pacific Seacraft after Ericson went bankrupt. They were built from 1991 until 1998 or 1999.
Opinions on the Pacific Seacraft version of the Ericson 34 would also be helpful.
I'm very late replying to this thread, as I just saw this and I recently purchased a Pacific Seacraft Ericson 380. I would be glad to answer any questions you may have. I just completed the journey from South Dartmouth MA down to the Middle Chesapeake Bay bringing the boat home and now know my vessel very well.
Lnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 22:11   #3

Thanks Lnewman! What are your thoughts? Do you still own her? I’m currently shopping for a boat and found an Ericson ps 380 that looks interesting. Any advice would be appreciated.
Robertko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:24   #4

Hi. Yes I still own my Ericson 380. I love it. It doesn't have the huge cabin area as the more modern sailboats like Hunter or Beneteau, but that also means when underway in heavy weather you're less likely to get tossed around the cabin. We find the cockpit very adequate.
My wife and I love the boat. It really sails well. Very sea kindly. No pounding in a chop, but instead just cuts through the water.
Build quality is excellent. Things like thru hulls are labeled. Fit and finish of cabinetry is quality craftsmanship.
My boat was repowered with a Yanmar in 2012, so the engine is like new. Has the PYI dripless stuffing box, so the bilge is always dry. Prop is an H5 Autoprop. I like the prop, though I had to rebuild it this past winter. About $300 in parts. It should be good now for many hours use.

The bilge in this boat is cramped is probably the best word. The re-enforced grid that gives the hull its stiffness makes the bilge a mesh of beams. It does look really strong though. Bilge is dry except for a tiny bit of rain that gets down the mast. I sponge that up whenever it appears.

I have installed air conditioning. If you go to the Ericson forum you can find my threads. Not many posts for the 380 model as only 24 were built by Pacific Seacraft. Mine is hull #15.

In installing the A/C I cut two thru hulls above water line. I can tell you the hull is solid fiberglass and were I cut the hole it is 5/8" thick. Drilled holes through the bulkhead and that was over an inch thick. Boat is built like a tank. All bulkheads are tabbed to the hull.

Search "S/V Osprey Spartina" on YouTube and you'll find recent videos of my boat and a Sabre named Spartina sailing in the Chesapeake Bay. Videos are boring (except for the owners), but you get to see the E380 under sail.

Be glad to answer any specific questions you might have.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:13   #5

Thanks Lnewman!!! I’m on the west coast and looking at a 1994. She has a tall mast and the pics look great! I haven’t had a chance to look at her in person yet. How does she handle under power? Is she manageable single handling and with a small crew? I really appreciate any info!!! Thanks!
Robertko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:38   #6

Mine has a 38hp Yanmar. Motoring is fine. Easily 6 to 7 knots at 2200 - 2400 rpm.
Easily single hand this boat. This is my fifth sailboat over the past 35 years. This one has been my favorite to date. Every boat is a compromise. The galley could have more storage. There is no great place for a garbage can. We keep two small plastic trash cans behind and beside the companion way stairs. You make things work.
But it is just me and the wife and so really there is plenty of space. We sleep in the V berth, so stern berth is for storage most of the time unless we have guests.

This boat doesn't lend itself to having chain rode for anchor. Owners that have added a chain and windlass had to do a lot of work to get that sorted out, modify the anchor locker. I still haul the anchor in by hand. I have been thinking about how I might modify the anchor locker to handle a windlass and chain. But adding solar was more important and was my most recent upgrade. 300 watts of solar and epever charge controller. Next two Firefly batteries are on the list.

With any boat, have a survey done.

Tags
pacific seacraft