Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2017, 08:50   #1

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII
Question No Glow Plug Button on Universal M3-20 ('92 Catalina 30)

We tagged along behind the surveyor and broker on a '92 Catalina 30 MKII we made an offer on and there seemed to be some confusion as to how the glow plugs on the Universal M3-20 engine were operated.

The engine panel had no "Glow Plug" button on it, just a key switch and starter button.

The consensus seemed to be that the glow plugs were "automatic".

I didn't get a chance to dig through the original manuals on the boat, but online searches mentioned a button for the glow plugs.

Lacking a button, I'm guessing that the spring-loaded "start" position on the key switch is likely how the glow plugs are operated lacking any other visible way to do it. (Not buying the "automatic" story.) I can't see a reason for a "start" position on a key switch on a panel with a start button. (Unless of course the original switch was replaced with a different one.)

Can anybody confirm or deny this assumption?
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 08:53   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: No Glow Plug Button on Universal M3-20 ('92 Catalina 30)

Not all diesel engines have glow plugs at all. Some of them have air pre-heaters instead and some have nothing at all. You should try to get a copy of the manual for your engine.

My Yanmar has an air preheater instead of glow plugs. I don't know if it even works, since I've never used it even once. You activate it by turning the key backwards.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 09:15   #3

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

According to Universal's (Westerbeke's) web site, the M3-20 does have glow plugs "For easy starting year-round".

The manual available online at Westerbeke's site mentions two ways of actuating the glow plugs (both manual BTW) but neither fit the panel on this Catalina. I think it's Calalina's panel, not Universal's.

The online manual looks like the engine manual that is on the boat - so - I guess I have to find the Catalina manual for more insight into this.

I just thought with this being one of the most popular production boats in the world, somebody here would know off the top of their head.
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 09:40   #4

Boat: Catalina 320

I had a '94 Catalina 270 with a Perkins and the glow plugs were on the spring loaded start position as you surmised, I used to hold it for a count of ten before starting.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 10:15   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Universals with glow plugs and a start button use the momentary position of the key switch for glow plug operation.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 30, plug