Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2015, 12:04   #1

Boat: Koopmans 40 aluminum centerboard cutter
Accidentally pressed glow-button on controls for Perkins engine

Sometimes one does stupidities so bad, so that one might feel so embarrased, that one doesnt really even want to confess to others. However stupid Ive been, im stuck. Sitting with an ipad in the cockpit of the boat, with an engine that wont start.

My stupid act simply is this: starting my cold Perkins i read the manual, applied full throttle in Natural, held down the glow button for six seconds and pressed start. The engine sprang to life and ran well. Having remembered that the manual said, if engine runs a bit un-evenly, keep pressing the glow button, - i pressed glow button. Mistake. Engine stopped and will not come back, electrics out, no buzz on keyturn, light for water in fuel glows. So i guess i somehow messed up the electrics. Tried resetting by disconnecting power. No good.

The thing is: in the continued paragraph in the manual, it says: do NOT press glow button when engine is running. So, - i basically screwed up.

The diagnosis now is: no power to the start system when key is turned, instead the water in fuel indicator light is on.

So my simple question: Any ideas how to fix/reset?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
SY Marelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 14:32   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Accidentally pressed glow-button on controls for Perkins engine

The complete lack of electrical power suggests a blown fuse. This does not explain the engine stopping when you activated the glow plugs... that's kinda odd!

But, there is often a fuse in the main supply wire to the engine and switch panel, so I'd start by finding and inspecting that.

Jim
Old 29-01-2015, 14:52   #3

Boat: 1981 Irwin 37

is it posible you have water in the fuel? This would most likely be my first guess. Water in fuel most likely disables the engine start. Momentarily pressing the glow plugs should not hurt them, I will hold them on for a few extra seconds when cold and running a little ruff.
irwin37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 15:16   #4

Hi Jim and Hi Irvin37,

Thanks to the both of you for the replies.

Chronology of events:

1. glow engine, 2. start engine, 3. glowing it while running, 4. engine immediately stops and warning lamp "water in fuel" comes on.

I also have a feeling it could be a fuse, or a "ghost" in the electrics caused by conflicting input into some sort of operating system, - but, this is all a relatively old 1996 installation.

however, I discovered a "black box" in the wiring leading from the VDO panel, to the engine. Im thinking it could be some sort of computer. In that case maybe it could be reset.

Searching the net for VDO / perkins / reset / water in fuel warning and similar search terms, gives no meaningful returns.

So now my thoughts are:

1) find relevant fuses, - but Ive searched and cant find any
2) find the sensor which measures for water in fuel. Cant find it. Checked the separator, fuel seems fine.
3) try and re-set the electronics. Have powered off batteries, no result. Maybe some other way

It seems unlikely that there really is water in fuel, - it could be that pressing the glow button whilst running, made some sort of electric "knot" in the system...

Or?

So Im down to;

1) finding the sensor which senses water in fuel. Could that be inline or on the engine? There is a wire coming out of the diesel pump, - could this be it? Or maybe solenoid for shutoff for fuel.

2) finding the fuses. There are lots of "ships fuses" in the main electricity boards, but these specific fuses should be either a) at the VDO panel (cant see anything there except that mentioned "black box". Or b) they could be somewhere on/by the engine...

Im a bit lost here... any help would be appreciated, -
Old 29-01-2015, 15:37   #5

Boat: Heritage 35

the black box might be a fuse box? See if you can open it. What kind of voltage regulator do you have? My old WB had a delco but above that were two buttons marked 30 and 50 I think. These were the main breakers for the engine. A major short tripped them. Drove me crazy until I found them!
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 15:40   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

at a guess you have blown a fuse,fuse would normally be on the pos+ cable post on the starter motor leading to the relays for the glow plugs or near the relays.
if this powers up the fuel solenoid as well will be likely cause of engine not starting.
edit
(the wire coming from the injector pump is for the fuel shutoff solenoid.)

water in fuel sensor would likely be in the fuel bowl of your racor type filter.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 15:42   #7

Not sure how a blown fuse would stop the engine. Maybe they have a fail safe so the engine shut down solenoid stops the engine if you press the glow plug switch? Do you have a stop solenoid?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 15:45   #8

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

That "black box" could be the wiring harness going from the engine to the engine panel. Mine is a "black box" with a wiring loom going in and a wiring loom coming out. Having just been through a similar issue I recall reading on Mainesails website that (1) that harness is a source of trouble and that (2) some glow plug wiring is under sized and not fused and that holding the plug down for extended periods can cause the wire to go 'poof'.

FYI - because I have such tremendous respect for Mainesails opinion on these matters, I'm going to be completely rewiring my engine.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 15:45   #9

Kalinka and Atoll,

Thanks guys, - this is great help, - ill start searching through my wiring and fuses at first light! Will post reply on the progress...
Old 29-01-2015, 15:49   #10

Zboss,

Thanks for the reply, - although it honestly did reduce my optimism a bit...

Wish me luck! Rewiring is not my preferred option...
Old 29-01-2015, 16:13   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Having thought about it for a while, I recall that our Nanni (Kubota)engine has a black (actually blue) box mounted on the engine itself. This contains several things: a complex relay that supplies a timed voltage to the glow plugs, several diode pairs, a multi pin plug and socket and a circuit breaker controlling the whole shebang. This latter looks like a small black button sticking out the side of the box. Perhaps your black box is similar... if so, push the button!

Jim
Old 30-01-2015, 05:05   #12

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Stop solenoids can work either way- that is: power is required to keep it running or power is required to stop it. If you have the former (do you usually hear a "click" when you turn ignition on?) and pushing the glow plug tripped the breaker/fuse, then it would kill it. The "water in fuel" is usually a sensor on the Racor.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 06:24   #13

Boat: Valiant 40

Marek,

If you have a water in fuel sensor it's either in place of the plug at the bottom of the racor bowl or it's at the engine fuel filter. It's not hard to break the sensor at the engine fuel filter, which will give you an alarm if you do.

I'm suspecting that the two symptoms are not related, or if they are, it's at the panel. Do you have a shutoff solenoid or a manual fuel cutoff? Do you have to hold down your glow plug button to engage the starter?
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 07:10   #14

Voltage at the glow plugs? Fuel at the injectors?
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 07:47   #15

this happened to me fried the contcaats in the key switch maybe why the negine won't start
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident, engine, perkins