Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2019, 19:20   #1

Bahamas, West End, Anchorage for Check In (Question)

Good day all. We are new to boating and are planning to head to The Bahamas in a few weeks. We have been to West End, but the marina was pretty tight... and a sport fishing boat almost hit us while we were tied up.

Sooooo... this time, I'm thinking to anchor out and take the dinghy in to check in.

Thoughts?

Thinking that I should be able to anchor here...

InsuredApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 19:34   #2

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
Re: Bahamas, West End, Anchorage for Check In (Question)

It’s a fair-weather anchorage. We anchored there last year. It was fine, but a bit rolly, especially closer to shore.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 19:42   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsuredApple View Post
Good day all. We are new to boating and are planning to head to The Bahamas in a few weeks. We have been to West End, but the marina was pretty tight... and a sport fishing boat almost hit us while we were tied up.

Sooooo... this time, I'm thinking to anchor out and take the dinghy in to check in.

Thoughts?

Thinking that I should be able to anchor here...

Customs could always ask for you to bring your boat to the dock for an inspection, but your plan should work. It has been a few years since I have been there, but I do not remember it being that tricky. Good luck.
spearfish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 19:47   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I've anchored in that exact spot a couple of times. As mentioned, fair weather anchorage and only in the prevailing east winds. If a front comes through it will be untenable.

I would just tie up at the customs dock to clear in and leave.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:17   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisjay View Post
It’s a fair-weather anchorage...
This is where Gil’s boat “Dagny” disappeared from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
I checked in this afternoon at West-End. Since I could not start my engine I anchored off the beach a mile South of the channel. Everything was seemingly fine, forty feet of chain and maybe fifteen of nylon rode, shallow water. Out of the customs office I checked on the boat, I could see the mast over the jetty. I had a late lunch, checked again, no problem. At six or six thirty after using my computer to get on the Internet it was time to head out to the boat on my dinghy. Dagny wasn't there! I found a guy on his boat with a radar. He could see nothing, not a blimp. Hard to spot a sailboat. Three guys on a motorboat offered to go look with me. We spent three hours looking around in the direction of the drift, nothing. I am stranded in West-End with nothing but the clothes on my back and my computer bag. They're letting me sleep in the gym tonight, no idea about tomorrow. Needless to say I am devastated, numb, incredulous.
More ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...158283-31.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:19   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
This is where Gil’s boat “Dagny” disappeared from.

More ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...158283-31.html
It is exactly. I always wondered about that, first how the boat dragged completely away from the anchorage and why it never showed up.

Pick the right spot and holding there I found to be quite good. Also shoals very gradually so a dragging anchor would have to drag across a good bit of bottom before the boat was off soundings. Guess the boat never reappeared.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:30   #7

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

I've been through West End/Old Bahama Bay numerous times. Last time I was there (Feb 2017) there was a couple there on a Gozzard 36 that had been anchored in that exact spot you asked about, and had dragged and gone up on the rocks. The boat had taken a tremendous beating (saw her tied up to the wall inside the marina afterwards). There is no good anchorage anywhere at West End, period, and I wouldn't risk my boat trying to anchor there. If you must stop at West End, suck it up and pony up the money to stay in a slip for the night. It's not worth the risk to save $80 or so worth of slip fees. Don't do it.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:45   #8

Boat: Knysna 480

Before anchoring out and dinghying in, make sure that you call customs and get permission. That is usually not a problem, but I have come in and they requested I bring the boat in because I hadn’t called in first. That being said, it is still a great place to check in. There’s a new office and very friendly people.
Anchoring on the west side is a bit tricky. The bottom varies considerably from spot to spot.
I have anchored several times north of the breakwater in the channel. Lots of current but good holding. 180 degree swing with tidal changes..but no problem. Current was so strong one day that I couldn’t swim against it to check my anchor...but Rocnor held great all night.
Sailingveterinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:51   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

I too have been to West End a few times. I have never tried to anchor there, although I have seen boats anchored north of the channel, but the bottom there is hard and current strong. I cannot comment on the area you boxed out in the photo. The marina does get busy, but the turning basin is your friend. Just hang out there until boat traffic clears. Old Bahama Bay slip rates are not cheap, as you probably know. The last time we checked in there, we cleared customs, refueled, and headed through Indian Channel towards Mangrove Cay. At dusk, we dropped an anchor in the middle of nowhere and slept peacefully. If the weather sucks, I pony up the $$ for a slip. Call ahead to see how full the marina is before you depart for West End.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:25   #10

Boat: Niagara 42

We've been in and out of West End numerous times, and it's a fine place to check in. Nice people.
But I wouldn't anchor where you indicated. The few times we've seen a boat there, clearly very rolly, not even pleasant in an easterly. And holding appears to vary...
We see boats anchoring to the north and east outside the breakwater successfully, but have also watched a boat drag aground from there. YMMV. I say just stay in the marina overnight (your boat cost more than the dockage fee) and enjoy, or check in and then continue on to Mangrove Cay or Great Sale. Don't think I'd try the Indian Channel without good daylight, but then we draw 6 ft.

BTW we did see the Gozzard referenced above just as they got towed back to Florida, and had a chance to chat. The boat was quite beat up, but a good boat and they were about to get it repaired. They missed the West End entrance channel just a bit to the north, coming in after dark on a rolly evening. And they weren't inexperienced. I just don't go enter or leave anywhere in the Bahamas after about 4 pm.
bigSurprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 13:33   #11

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Went to West End last year - not bad, but expensive. From all I've been told, I would not anchor out at West End, as others have noted. This year I'll probably come on the Bank at Mantanilla Shoal, sail to Great Sale, anchor, and then check in next day at Spanish Cay or Green Turtle.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 15:57   #12

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

I have anchored off West End many times, but never in the location you are considering. And have anchored off only in the summer. In the winter, you are subject to northwest & northeast winds every time the fronts push thru, like the one hitting tonite.

It is legal to anchor out and have the captain go ashore in the dinghy to clear Customs Immigration. In fact, back when it was Jack Tar, they made sailboats anchor out and come in for fuel in their zodiac since they did not want you tying up their fuel dock for 10 gallons while a sportfish waited for 600 gallons!

Suggest you keep going east and clear in at Freeport or Spanish Cay
flyingfin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 16:09   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post
Went to West End last year - not bad, but expensive. From all I've been told, I would not anchor out at West End, as others have noted. This year I'll probably come on the Bank at Mantanilla Shoal, sail to Great Sale, anchor, and then check in next day at Spanish Cay or Green Turtle.
Have they restored power to the docks and showers? When I was there a couple of years ago they hadn't repaired the hurricane damage so no power but the tie up was half price.
Old 04-01-2019, 16:10   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
back when it was Jack Tar, they made sailboats anchor out and come in for fuel in their zodiac since they did not want you tying up their fuel dock for 10 gallons while a sportfish waited for 600 gallons!

You're showing your age if you remember back when it was Jack Tar.
Old 04-01-2019, 18:37   #15

Oh wow, thank you all so much!

I was not expecting this much information and insight. Thank you.

With all this information, maybe we are best off to get Bimini, we know a spot we can anchor and then dinghy in.

Is it usual that customs will want to inspect the vessel?
InsuredApple is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Bahamas