Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2017, 07:32   #1

Boat: Gemini 3000
West Palm to West End

Hello everyone we are planning a crossing from West palm to the Bahamas in the next two weeks weather dependant. We are sailing a Gemini 3000 catamaran and we are looking for other sailboats to cross with.
this will be our first time to Bahamas although we have already sailed her from Panama City FL to West Palm last month. wondering if anyone in the area is planning a trip soon ?
ryanandchantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:43   #2

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: WEST PALM TO WEST END

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanandchantal View Post
Hello everyone we are planning a crossing from West palm to the Bahamas in the next two weeks weather dependant. We are sailing a Gemini 3000 catamaran and we are looking for other sailboats to cross with.
this will be our first time to Bahamas although we have already sailed her from Panama City FL to West Palm last month. wondering if anyone in the area is planning a trip soon ?
Congratulations on your purchase of your Gemini, that is a great boat for the shallow waters of the Bahamas. Have you been able to assess the boats ability to cross the Gulf Stream yet? I know you had been looking for a more affordable option.

We did our first trip to the Bahamas this time of year as well. Spring is the perfect time for the Abacos.

Maybe if you gave some of your sailing background and let other sailors know how you have prepared the boat for the cruise, this would be helpful in finding someone to buddyboat with. Each of you would be counting on the other for help in times of need.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:16   #3

Boat: Gemini 3000
Re: West Palm to West End

Thanks for the response ZBOSS. We have yet to get out into the stream as we arrived from the Okeechobee waterway which we came through in Fort Myers to Stuart. When we got to Stuart we took left the inlet and sailed along the Coast to the West Palm inlet. we were in 6 foot seas with a northwest wind of around 12 knots and had no problems. Prior to the purchase of the Gemini 3 months ago I was involved in sailing programs at ABYC in Toronto On for a few seasons where I was taught the basics. We purchased this particular vessel in Panama City Fl and spent the first month testing the boats abilities in the Gulf which included 30 knot plus winds. I was able to identify the weak areas in the rigging and sails and rectified them. We spent that month sailing and breaking things (almost on purpose) so we were confident in the boats ability and seaworthiness. Repairs included reinforcing glass on the port and starboard aft cabin bulkheads, installing a transducer, building two brand new rudders, professionally rebuilding starboard rudder mount, having mainsail and jib repaired and reinforced by CB Sails in PC, purchasing an additional mainsail, two hank ons as well as two spinnakers. I also tuned the mast, installed extra halyards, maintenance on our 20hp tohatsu outboard and rebuilding a backup 15hp Johnson (which is also our tender motor)
we also have two VHF antenas on top of the mast, a Garmin radar and GPS with North America and Bahama maps etc... Our biggest crossing to date was the Big Bend from Carrabelle to Stienhachee about 40 miles offshore for 80 miles. we did this crossing in 18 hours with 25-35 knot winds and 8 foot following seas. we could have done it a little quicker but I wanted daylight coming into Stienhatchee with the narrow channel and oyster bars. We hit speeds of about 10 knots on that crossing but prefer to take it a little easier on the boat since. I am confident in our ability as a team as well as the vessels for the crossing, but would like an ideal weather window as well as some company for the crossing if possible.
I hope I was able to answer most questions and if not please do not hesitate for further information.
ryanandchantal is offline   Reply With Quote