Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2017, 18:06   #1

Cleaning sails

I am wondering if anyone ever jet washed their sails , ( obv not blasting too hard as to do damage ) what kind of cleaner to use and any other ideas , would be for fully battened main sail in situ
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 18:57   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Cleaning sails

If you're talking about polyester sails, we've always just hosed them off with regular city pressure if they had become salty. I would feel concerned about pressure washing them taking out the stitching.

However, given where you live, wouldn't going for a sail on a rainy day do it for you? There's something remarkably appealing about passively letting nature do your work.....

Ann
Old 14-09-2017, 19:31   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I'd avoid most chemicals. Otherwise, if you do a search or three, you'll turn up lots, & lots of threads on this topic.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 14:03   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
If you're talking about polyester sails, we've always just hosed them off with regular city pressure if they had become salty. I would feel concerned about pressure washing them taking out the stitching.

However, given where you live, wouldn't going for a sail on a rainy day do it for you? There's something remarkably appealing about passively letting nature do your work.....

Ann
Ann , yes I agree there is a special appeal working with Mother Nature , but more often than not it is actually more of a battle !! And if all it takes to keep the sail clean is a spirited sail with " Mother Nature " then mine will be pristine ,and maybe you have just saved me a day of futile cleaning !! Just that my foresail is new so makes the main look a little dull , maybe there is not much that I can do about that . I think that I may have said good nite to Mother Nature for a good few months now ,,,, oh to live in more tepid climes !!
Old 15-09-2017, 14:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
I'd avoid most chemicals. Otherwise, if you do a search or three, you'll turn up lots, & lots of threads on this topic.
No , I was not thinking if any toxic chemicals etc just some " fairy liquid " wash up stuff and a gentle blow from the pressure washer , and with due consideration to seams stitching etc .

Tags
cleaning, sail, sails