Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2016, 00:20   #1

Boat: Pescott Whitehaven 11.7
Screecher/Code 0 or Asymmetrical Kite for cruising?

I have a 11.7m Pescot catamaran which is more at the performance end of cats (dagger boards, 4.5 tonne weight etc) we are mainly cruisers, however we really love the performance sailing that we get from the boat.
I've just bought a large asymmetrical kite for wind angles greater than 70 degrees. The kite is great when it's up but it is a total pain in the arse to manage even with a sock--it is pretty scary. I'm wondering about going for a code 0/screecher type arrangement set up on the prodder for off the wind, especially as its either just two of us or single handing?

Our sailing is fairly full on, I'm based in Sydney and go up and down the coast regularly--the last two weekends we have been in over 40 knots and 3-4 metre seas so I need something that is pretty bullet proof
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:44   #2

Re: Screecher/Code 0 or Asymmetrical Kite for cruising?

I have both a 155sqm ASI in a sock, and a tight luff screecher of 90sqm on a long endless line furler fed to the helm.

I sail frequently solo (or effectively solo) including 30hr coastal stints.

There is no doubt that the screecher gets much more air-time due to ease of use especially when solo. The ASI allows for perhaps 10-15 deeper down wind sailing but an reciprical reduction when on a tight reach compared to the screecher.

Both require tacking downwind as you would expect both to fly them adequately, but more so to get better VMG.

You mention strong wind....

Both are fine up to 25kts on a deep reach, but at this wind speed, I will be averaging 9-10 kts and will start to surf occasionally so will be looking to reef the main. If I had the ASI up, I'd be bringing it down and either fly the screecher if confident the wind was not strengthening or I'd be unfurling the genoa sheeting it outboard and more aft especially if in the 25-30kt range. Above 30kts, it would be two reefs and genoa for certain aiming to keep the speed under control. Obviously neither the ASI or screech has a role in my boat with winds over 25-30 unless I've been too foolish to anticipate the wind strengthening.

So, I would strongly support having a screecher as the better "go to" sail especially when short handed. It is also very easy use the genoa to assist with setting or furling the screecher with both sails being on furlers and the genoa easily able to set inside.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:18   #3

You plan to use a screecher or assy kite in 40 knots?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:53   #4

No not a screecher or Assy in 40 knots, but we do sail in strong winds and I want something that is easy to manage/control
Old 06-10-2016, 03:57   #5

Boat: LAGOON 400

another vote for screecher. Among other things with only 1 sheet, nearly impossible to foul props or rudders.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:09   #6

Boat: Privilege 435

Screechers, as I understand them are designed for heading upwind. It is cut much straighter than a code 0. The luff is straight and is wound in tight when furling so it looks and acts much like a big genoa. If I'm running on mine, I just loosen the luff.

My screecher is set up on the prodder, it has an anti-torsion line in the luff and is connected to a continuous line furler. It is super-easy to use and can be rolled up by hand without hassle even in heavier winds. I also like the fact that when rolled up, it can stay there just like a jib and you don't have to constantly put it up and down It's far less hassle than my asym but they are designed for different purposes as my asym is cut as a running sail, so I'm with 2Wind, the screecher gets far more airtime than my asym.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sceecher 2.jpg
Views:	958
Size:	411.2 KB
ID:	132400  
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:51   #7

Screeches would definitely be easier to manage - you could also try goose winging with your jib with your main down.

If you haven't already - consider getting quick releases that work well under tension for your spinnaker, it makes it a lot easier to handle if you can drop the working sheet at the bow after you're all ready to pull the non-working sheet around/pulling the sock down.
Old 06-10-2016, 13:33   #8
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

the OP mentioned looking for a sail to go downwind.

you're using the assym for >70 degs? how much greater?
mine is a great reaching sail, but i can't really see carrying it deeper than 100 degrees.
aren't a Code Zero and Screecher are also best for <100 degrees?

did I misunderstand something.
Old 06-10-2016, 13:43   #9

I try not to go much deeper than 120 degs, but apart from that, to be honest I'm still working out just where the sweet spot is for VMG. I like the code zero/screecher idea for it's ease of use, especially short handed.
Old 06-10-2016, 14:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph View Post
No not a screecher or Assy in 40 knots, but we do sail in strong winds and I want something that is easy to manage/control

To be honest, for me, these big sails are for light winds. Your working sails should give plenty of performance in strong winds.

If you really want a screecher or kite to suit strong winds, they'd have to be heavily built and relatively small. In which case their light wind performance would be reduced.

A screecher on a furler would be the easiest to handle.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 14:41   #11

Boat: Ericson 35-2

If I were you, I'd live with what you already have and just learn to handle it. If you didn't have an asymmetrical already, I'd say "Code 0". Because cruising.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 15:16   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Have a chat to other Pescott owners, and indeed Mark, see what they and he thinks. But yeah, Screeecher would be a good bet
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 20:31   #13

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Venezia 42'

I second the Code 0. I just got one for my 42 ft cruising cat. It's usually just two of us and though I can single hand the boat and on occasion we do use the Asym with a sock it can be a lot of work and hassle especially if conditions build. I am in the process of adding in tweaker lines for the sheets so I can better lead it in deeper angles. As already said the sail is typically best in light to medium breeze on a tight reach to reach angles, but as the wind build it can be used on deeper angles especial with a tweaker system. There is a difference between a screecher and a code 0, but your sail maker should walk you through prices and materials and cross overs for the sails. The Code 0 has its origin in the racing world but has been adapted for cruisers too and a good sail maker will work with you to help you get the right sail. I have been happy with my local Quantum loft, and recently got my Code 0 from Evolution Sails New Zealand, but that's because I know the sail-maker and I trust him. It sounds like your needs were much like mine, a manageable sail to handle with 1-2 people that will add horsepower in the light stuff, and easier to handle in the medium to heavy stuff at deeper angles. I think you will be happy with a Code 0.
hwturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 21:01   #14

Boat: 38' Crowther Windspeed

If you want to know about fast Pescots ,Phil Day at Multihull Central is your man but don't forget that he is earning a living and not there to hand out free advice. That being said he is a top guy and will probably advise which is the best choice although I believe that you already realise that a code 0 is the best for stronger winds but if you have it up in anything over 25k true you are just asking for trouble. We can explain away a multihull capsize in a race but I don't think Mark would be very happy with someone capsizing one of his boats while cruising. Your boat will do 15k easily and comfortably, I know it will do 23k+ but this is racing speeds not cruising speeds and it requires a knowledgeable crew to control. Speed is good fun but it is easy to come unstuck.
Kinta Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 21:59   #15

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

I would suggest that maybe you could look and changing your assy to be a Top down furler assy setup and then you can also use the same setup later when you add a code 0/ schreecher.

My only caution is that it takes some practice to use a top down furler system correctly in strong winds , ie + + 15 Knots Apparent. If done incorrectly you will have the "Mother of all Wraps to fix".

But if you practice the technique and get it right it is way easier to handle than a Sock and stores more easily as well single handed.
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asymmetric, cal, cruising