Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2016, 02:04   #46

Re: Beneteau oceanis 55

I've looked at a passport although lovely, for the size we want they are too much.

You haven't met my friends and family! Nearly all of them are obsessed with travelling, I'll be batting them off with a stick. But yes, we are buying the boat with us in mind and them second.

Cruising ground carribean or med to start, we are in no rush nor fussy.
AJPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 08:33   #47

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Ok so I'm sure you've seen SV Delos so what was your take on a Amel Super Maru ?
Old 24-12-2016, 02:25   #48

Yes we watched a few of their videos. We are looking for a modern boat, with the modern interior look. If we do go down the mono route it will have to have a large open stern like the 55 or hanse, that's what we like. We like modern open and airy.
Old 25-12-2016, 15:39   #49

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
Ok so I'm sure you've seen SV Delos so what was your take on a Amel Super Maru ?
I've been on quite a few. Over the years ive learnt to respect them, they do everything quite well verging on great, BUT they are quite dated in the style department compared to modern design.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 10:25   #50

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Hi Dale, we agree that Super Maramus are dated, But having just crossed from Lanzarote to Guadeloupe, I was very glad to be on my boat instead of a Ben 55... no creaking, dry center cockpit and peace and love even when winds gusted to 55kts during one of my watches.

Add a constant SS5, often 6 and you get the picture. Ocean crossing is not the forte of Ben 55's; it is the playground of choice for Amel SM's.

Different strokes as they say...
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 16:26   #51

Powered by peace and love, must be good!
Old 28-12-2016, 08:44   #52

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPT View Post
Yes we watched a few of their videos. We are looking for a modern boat, with the modern interior look. If we do go down the mono route it will have to have a large open stern like the 55 or hanse, that's what we like. We like modern open and airy.
They certainly do have some nice living space at the marina or while coastal cruising in moderate conditions, but offshore, a wide, fast, lightweight hull with big windows makes me nervous for lots of reasons. So, depending on how you plan to use your boat, both the light "airy" designs, as well as more traditional offshore designs such as the Amel can have their advantages.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 08:51   #53

The gentleman wants a Euro styled boat both in and out and there's nothing wrong with his desires plus he has lots of company. While the Benni is not built to the standards of a boat like an Amel it's more than adequate to cross oceans in the trades. Amel does have its followers but it's an aquired taste.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 12:10   #54

Totally get it. I'm compiling my list as well and the 55 is the nicest looking of the bunch - it's in my top 5. In the end, I've decided the Amel is a notch above, not for looks, but for safety - I guess my need for safety is higher than my need for comfort (although peace of mind definitely counts as comfort in my book).

You mentioned watertight compartments - Amel has 5. Are there any other production boats that have that? I haven't found any and if anyone knows of another I'd appreciate the input.

Another great feature is the watertight engine room that doesn't lead into the saloon. From my understanding this reduces noise substantially as well as the smell of diesel that most under-ladder models do. Love the large engine room and access to all equipment of the Amel.

On La Vagabond you see the troubles he had with the rudder and having to reinforce it with steel bars. That sort of makes me scared for the fin rudder models.

But the interior of the 55 is pretty amazing. Been watching Zatara as well and looking forward to seeing how it handles real rough weather since it looks like they have been pretty fortunate so far.

Either way, good luck on your search and please keep us updated. Cheers!
WestCoastRix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 12:27   #55

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPT View Post
After a year plus of looking, viewing and researching cats and monos my gf and I have finally narrowed down our long and exhaustive list of boats to 3. The other two we have been on and we're very impressed with, they both have their own merits and we could see us living on either of them with ease.

The last one is the oceanis 55 which is more my choosing than my other half's. We have yet to step abroad one or see one in the flesh.

I particularly like the layout, deck space, massive options, how beamy it is, the shallow draft options, interior layout, the overall look and the fact that it is 4000lbs lighter than the other mono we are considering although it is slightly smaller in length and beam.

To that end has anyone sailed one, is there anyone on here who lives on one for long term?
Does anyone have any experience with the shoal draft or shallow draft 55?
Build quality, any faults, the need for dock and go or not bearing in mind the twin rudder configuration. Necessary options, what you would change knowing what you know now!

Our next step is to sail all 3, charter them and then make our final decision.

Cheers.
Regarding a boat to live aboard have you looked at the new Sense 51 that probably would cost about the same as the Oceanis 55?

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 12:42   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastRix View Post

On La Vagabond you see the troubles he had with the rudder and having to reinforce it with steel bars. That sort of makes me scared for the fin rudder models.
The constant creaking noises when to boat is rolling would also drive me nuts. That's one thing that sticks out to me in their videos.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 15:12   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastRix View Post
Totally get it. I'm compiling my list as well and the 55 is the nicest looking of the bunch - it's in my top 5. In the end, I've decided the Amel is a notch above, not for looks, but for safety - I guess my need for safety is higher than my need for comfort (although peace of mind definitely counts as comfort in my book).

You mentioned watertight compartments - Amel has 5. Are there any other production boats that have that? I haven't found any and if anyone knows of another I'd appreciate the input.

Another great feature is the watertight engine room that doesn't lead into the saloon. From my understanding this reduces noise substantially as well as the smell of diesel that most under-ladder models do. Love the large engine room and access to all equipment of the Amel.

But the interior of the 55 is pretty amazing. Been watching Zatara as well and looking forward to seeing how it handles real rough weather since it looks like they have been pretty fortunate so far.

Either way, good luck on your search and please keep us updated. Cheers!
Out of interest what is your top 5? Just curious. I'm following zamora with interest, they seem to be doing OK so far, especially considering their lack of knowledge, fair play to them.
Old 28-12-2016, 15:14   #58

I've been on the sense 57 and wasn't overly impressed tbh. I just don't get the whole monomaran thing. Lovely boat but not for us. Off to the London boat show next month so will view the sense 51, maybe a second view might change my mind.
Old 28-12-2016, 15:36   #59

My top 5 might not be helpful to you because of the disparate choices and reasons - but anyway here it is:

1 - Amel Super Maramu 52 (perfectly in my price range in the $200K-$250K)

2 - Nordhavn 47 - They range in price much higher at around $500-$700k. But same safety reasons as above - well built, hold value better than most, redundant systems (including wing engine), etc .etc. etc.

3 - Beneteau Oceanis 55 - $500K-$600K range. Nicest design and layout of the bunch. Love the wide beam and extra space for larger family gatherings (we are a family of 5).

4 - Lagoon 44 - $200K-$300k range. Love the space and design. Quality is pretty solid. However, the concerns I have for blue water cruising and flipping cats will never allow me to get one. Nice to think about it though as an option.

5 - Westsail 42 - $100K-$150K range. Ugly but solidly built and solid reputation as a blue water boat. Again, attracted primarily because of how its built. Separate engine room with easy hatch access.

There are TONS of boats out there in my range. And this list keeps changing. However the #1 and #2 on the list have not budged at all. I can't think of any that would replace them either.

I have a 5 year retirement plan with my wife. So we have time. We've seen many boats and will continue exploring over the next few years. But I do plan on ocean crossings so safety is our paramount concern when deciding. If we were just going to sail along coasts or carribean/mediterranean - I would probably head more towards a cat for the comfort.

Anyway just my opinion which isn't worth much at this stage. If the economy goes downhill and our investments follow, then the list will have to be rebuilt from that. If the investments go up, then the Nordhavn would be my choice.
WestCoastRix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 15:59   #60

Boat: Alubat Cigale 16m

Not sailed the Bene Oceanis 55 but have sailed the 49 and, compared to the Hanse 575, a no brainer. I didn't even have the benefit of my wife dancing on the deck of the Hanse 575 to help decide it would be the better option. If the sailing part is important, then go for at least a 6ft draft and, to be honest, probably the 7ft. Remember, if you cruise the trade winds area of the Caribbean then you will probably go upwind as often as downwind and your will be grateful for the extra pointing ability.

In the end, however, I opted for an Alubat because the Euro is weak and the sailing matters more to me than the size of the palace below.
Telesail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, oceanis