Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2018, 09:13   #1

Worldwide Sailing Insurance question

I'm in the beginning phases of planning to sail from the US to South Pacific, Caribbean, and the Mediterranean in 10 years or so. I've been taking ASA classes and hope to be up to the Offshore class by then and have my wife up to the Bareboat class soon. In between then we plan to do various Bareboat charters in the Caribbean, Mediterranean, and Chesapeake Bay.

When we sail we prefer to be a 2 crew operation on a 50-53 foot monohull. I've seen may insurance carriers want 3-4 crew for offshore crossings and that is something I would like to avoid. I have read about the Jackline Insurance program that seems promising. Are there any specific requirements on sailing experience for this on that size of sailboat?

Any advice on this or what I need in regards to experience to get covered for a 2 crew operation? Besides taking the ASA 108 offshore class, doing offshore bluewater crossings will probably not be possible due to full time jobs.

Thanks!
Brian2109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 13:26   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Worldwide Sailing Insurance question

We had Jackline coverage around the world (2 up most of the time on a 45') and they did want a sailing resume at the start. I think you should talk to them to see what experience they would want. My gut reaction is that they would want more than courses but only one way to find out.

Tags
insurance, sail, sailing