Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 06:44   #31

Boat: Beneteau 49
Re: The saga of my beneteau 49

I just changed the vented loop but did not have the possibility to test if this will eliminate the problem. I am thinking about getting rid of it , and replacing it by a small hose which empty in the hose that drain the cockpit.
Any idea what diameter hose I should use?, as if it is too big it will divert too much water from the cooling system when the engine is running, and if too small it may not crate a air pocket.
Any advise will help.
Thanks.
Princessoftides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:48   #32

I have not been able to see another B49, to check this. I am waiting on Beneteau to answer the questions I sent them through my beneteau dealer in Huntington. NY
Old 06-01-2013, 06:53   #33
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Do you have some pics showing water intake strainer (maybe from some haulout)? Can you post them?

For reference: looks similar to this http://marinestore.co.uk/Bronze_Inta...er_1_inch.html
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:56   #34

No I do not, and honestly cannot remember for sure which way it was mounted. I will dive under the boat as soon as I am back in Martinique to check that obviously.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:01   #35

will check as soon as I am back in martinique for sure...
Thanks
Old 06-01-2013, 07:05   #36

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessoftides
I just changed the vented loop but did not have the possibility to test if this will eliminate the problem. I am thinking about getting rid of it , and replacing it by a small hose which empty in the hose that drain the cockpit.
Any idea what diameter hose I should use?, as if it is too big it will divert too much water from the cooling system when the engine is running, and if too small it may not crate a air pocket.
Any advise will help.
Thanks.
The vented loops I have seen gave a barbed connector on top. Think usually a 1/8 inch id hose would fit on this. Take the guts out of the loop and put the hose on the barb. Vetus sells vented loops without the valves and a small pee hose for this set up. Mine is set this way and is fine.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:08   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessoftides View Post
CAn you be more specific? You mean the water is flowing in the heat exchanger in the wrong direction?
We installed the water hose the exact same way as they were installed originally by Beneteau, so , if they made a mistake we are repeating it.
I am trying to get help from Beneteau to see if they can give me some advise, but so far , nothing.
I take it you are referring to what was said about the intake being reversed.
The intake will look something like this

If the intake has been installed with the opening pointing ahead, then when underway, water will be forced into the opening.
See
Cooling water intake - category details

This specifically states:
The cooling water intake is a through-hull fitting with strainer, installed through the bottom of the hull. For motor boats the strainer should be directed forward. Once under way, the seawater is forced up into the system. However, for sailing boats, the strainer should be directed towards the rear of the boat in order to prevent seawater being forced into the system when under sail with the engine shut down. When a motor boat is being towed, the shut-off valve must be closed.

As for starting the engine with the intake closed, this is not something I would do, pretty sure that each time that is done it will shorten the life of the impeller, and you wont want to be stripping down the heat exchanger to dig out the impeller blades.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:08   #38

Thank you for the advise. I have a Vetus vented loop in my boat, and will remove the valve, and just have the 1/8 inch hose run to the cockpit drainer.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:11   #39

Thank you, I understand what you meant.
As I mentioned in one of my reply , I just cannot remember which way it is installed in my boat, but will check as soon as I am back in Martinique (end of the month).
Old 06-01-2013, 08:49   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
ok, you got me on this one.

close the cooling water intake when starting the engine. wouldn't that cause the raw water pump to run in a dry condition? and isn't that bad for the rubber impeller?
on one boat I had, the impellor would fail after as little as 1 minute with the seacock closed. (1982, new MD13 Volvo) Havent done it since. (the time it took to get it idling, go below, open the engine access and the seacocok.)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:20   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
on one boat I had, the impellor would fail after as little as 1 minute with the seacock closed. (1982, new MD13 Volvo) Havent done it since. (the time it took to get it idling, go below, open the engine access and the seacocok.)
You have a point! MAy be I should sail with the seacock closed and open it just before starting the engine. This is may be a better solution until I find why I get water in my engine. This at least will point out whether or not the problem comes from the water intake or the water from the exhaust.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:45   #42
CLOD

Boat: none

While I think things like shutting the intake valve probably fix the problem as far as protecting the engine, it isn't the real answer.

I don't know the answer but bet it is going to turn out to be something small, or a comboination of a couple of small things.

I hope you get it properly fixed for yourself. But I also hope that when you do that that you rememeber to post the answer for others afterwards.

It has always seemed to me that a lot of problems on the forum never get updated by the OP when the problem gets solved.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:20   #43

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessoftides View Post
You have a point! MAy be I should sail with the seacock closed and open it just before starting the engine. This is may be a better solution until I find why I get water in my engine. This at least will point out whether or not the problem comes from the water intake or the water from the exhaust.
One more thing... does your engine start easily, or do you have to crank and crank? Opening the seacock before starting will be fine if you don't have to crank for a long time to get a start.

Also the impellor is not likely to burn up in only a minute or less. There is water in the system, and the fallback will lubricate the impellor sufficiently to keep it cool for a little while.

BUT JUST IN CASE, all engines cooled by a rubber impellor pump should have a strainer at the discharge side of the pump because you never know when an impellor might fail. And visible bits of impellor in the strainer tell you to change it NOW and not at the end of the season or whatever. Which reminds me... i DON'T! Gotta fix that.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:35   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

A few possibilities come to mind.

Do you ever sail with the exhaust outlet underwater? If this is done, particularly with the exhaust system still warm then sea water could be sucked in as the exhaust gases cool.

Do you always close your raw water inlet seacock immediately after shutting down the engine? If there is any damage to your impeller water may flow past it.

Could there be a small leak in the raw water inlet seacock?

Do you check there is cooling water in your exhaust immediately after starting the engine?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:44   #45
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
If there is any damage to your impeller water may flow past it.

Now there is a simple thought to think about, for all of us!

Tags
beneteau