Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2017, 02:51   #1

Boat: Albin Vega
Keep or Sell Spare Mainsail?

So I'm on my newly acquired Albin Vega and space is at a premium. The previous owner left me two extra mainsails one was ostensibly the original from 1972 and the other is not much newer, too long for my mast (it's off a different Vega) and hogging space in my vee berth. I'm in Maryport England which is a tiny town with no boating shops. Is it worth trying to sell the newer old mainsail or should I throw it in the garbage like the original?

I've got a two year old Hyde mainsail and 100% jib as well as a genoa so no need for these junkers.
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:56   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Keep or Sell Spare Mainsail?

If you don't/cannot sell or donate the sail, there are some artisans who will take the sail, give you a FREE tote bag and keep the rest of the material. I had a handy asym deck bag made from my old main. Yes it is a tad thick---- but did I mention it was FREE?

This year I am replacing my 135 and will have a nice tote bag made from the old sail.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:13   #3

Thought of doing something like that but I don't need any more bags. Leaning toward pitching this thing in the trash.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:55   #4

Boat: Kaufman 47

Call up any sail lofts near you, they may be part of a sail donation organization. They may come get it from you and sent it to fishermen in Haiti who don't have much, even less decent sails. Try that before trashing it, they would be grateful for it.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:58   #5

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Used sails have very little value... like used toilet paper
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:06   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
Thought of doing something like that but I don't need any more bags. Leaning toward pitching this thing in the trash.

Just give them an artisan and take nothing. Good for the karma!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:08   #7

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Dunno if you have Craigslist on that side of the pond, but over here (USA) there is a healthy market even for valueless junk. You may actually find a buyer.

Try eBay. Just make sure you cover your shipping costs. So long as the sail is still complete and could be hanked on, you'll likely find d a buyer.
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:27   #8

Boat: Seafarer36c

I would keep the one main that fits. When everything else fails you would still have a way of moving the boat.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:58   #9

Boat: Tartan 37

On a Vega 27 with the very limited space, I would give/donate them away. They sound very close to useless. You have a very good main, keep it covered and protective. Take care of loose treads. If something happens to it, you got a genny to sail with till you get it repaired. Carry a sail-repair ditty bag, with tread, needles, sail-maker's palm, sticky back sail patch fabric and hemostats. Small boats like the Vega rarely blow out newer sails. I use to sail one, they are tender because of the narrow beam, but stiffen up when the rail gets to the water. Tender boats are easier on sails, not like a cat that stands up to a puff.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:12   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
On a Vega 27 with the very limited space, I would give/donate them away. They sound very close to useless. You have a very good main, keep it covered and protective. Take care of loose treads. If something happens to it, you got a genny to sail with till you get it repaired. Carry a sail-repair ditty bag, with tread, needles, sail-maker's palm, sticky back sail patch fabric and hemostats. Small boats like the Vega rarely blow out newer sails. I use to sail one, they are tender because of the narrow beam, but stiffen up when the rail gets to the water. Tender boats are easier on sails, not like a cat that stands up to a puff.
Yes, we are like-minded, I'm going to pitch it out. I sail conservatively anyway so blowing out the main is bloody unlikely.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:37   #11

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
Is it worth trying to sell the newer old mainsail or should I throw it in the garbage like the original?
I lugged around old sails with me for years. Then stored them at home. All they did for me was get older. I finally realized I am never going to use old sails. So I sold them. I met some really interesting people who were actually going to use them, and were glad to have them for just a few dollars.

Also, FWIW, excellent choice on the Albin Vega. You are going to have a great adventure and a ton of fun on that boat!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:47   #12

You could seal it in something and put it away far back of berth under or etc. If you are going far cruising you never know you might blow out the main. If not going long range, get rid of them.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:52   #13

Keep it on your boat and when you get to a 4th world nation donate the sail to a village where there livelihood depends on the sea with sailing vessels. Do like SV/Delos did in Madagascar with their old sail. It will do the most good for the whole village that way. Cheers.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:17   #14

Boat: Tartan 37

This is a 27ft boat with a 8ft beam. He'll only has a payload of about 750lb, he doesn't need to take up space/weight for a useless sail. He could add tankage, probably only has useable 15gals of water and 8gals of fuel.

If you want to carry another sail get a cruising chute, very fun on that boat. We use to have a Folkboat that was salvaged, stripped out everything including engine. Had some great daysailing with a cruising-chute, coming into the marina Newport Style (Chute full and rail down). Enjoy your boat, it's a light good sailing boat, try to keep it that way.

puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:22   #15

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Does your decision not depend, in large part, on the type of sailing you plan? Bad things happen to good sails. The consequences, including any need for immediate replacement typically depend upon where you are, where you are going, and the difficulties resulting from the absence of the sail. If you are going to attempt the northwest passage, crossing the Atlantic, or maybe even some lesser adventures, maybe you'd want or need it. Local day sailing, or living aboard, most likely no need. If your plans are not fixed, you could store it on land until things are more definite.

Tags
mainsail, sail