Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2017, 08:44   #1

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
How to control a large heavy boat with 1 dock line using a Slip Lock Cleat Hitch

How to control a large heavy boat with 1 dock line using a Slip Lock Cleat Hitch.

When helping a boat into a dock you should use a Slip Lock Cleat Hitch on the dock cleat.

With a Slip Lock Cleat Hitch your 1st mate or dock hand has full control of the boat.

• 1st mate or dock hand can pull in the line if the captain comes closer to the dock

• 1st mate or dock hand can let out some line out if you feel you’re too close to the dock

• 1st mate or dock hand can just hold fast with the line with little to no effort.

Once the captain confirms that the boat is stationed correctly.
The 1st mate or dock hand can fully tie the Slip Lock Cleat Hitch into a Full Cleat Hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slip Lock Cleat Hitch B.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	150953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cleat Hitch 1a.jpg
Views:	667
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	150954  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cleat Hitch 2a.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	150955  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 14:14   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: How to control a large heavy boat with 1 dock line using a Slip Lock Cleat Hitch

First time I've very heard a single turn around a cleat given a formal name.

Seems to be a first for Google too. A search on "slip lock cleat hitch" returns exactly one hit - this thread

And technically, I disagree your name.

1 It is not a "slip" knot - a slip knot is where the running end is doubled back so that a pull on it releases the knot:

2. It is not "locking" - letting go of the working end releases the line.

3. It is around a cleat.

4. It is not a hitch - to quote Ashley - "a hitch makes a rope fast to another object". See point 2.

Still, I guess 1 out of 4 ain't bad.

Added: And that's a good illustration of how NOT to tie a proper cleat hitch. Multiple weather hitches followed by a normal turn??? You've got it all bass ackward
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 14:23   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: How to control a large heavy boat with 1 dock line using a Slip Lock Cleat Hitch

Bonk !

Combination of bogus & bunk.
Old 30-06-2017, 15:18   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh yeh, before I forget. Misuse of the term "bitter end" too.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:41   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

Lighten up guys. Regardless of the terminolgy, this could be useful info to some boaters.
Direct line-713-817-7216--Houston Texas
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:59   #6

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I guess I missed the novelty of this. I would expect any dock hand to take a turn around a pile or under a cleat to provide some mechanical advantage while allowing for adjustment. To me it is a non problem, once I have a line to a person on the dock the rest is easy. Get close, make the first line fast and toss a second line from the other end (typically the bow) of the boat. The I can step ashore set spring lines and adjust all.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:10   #7

Boat: Island Packet 32

Yeah...I'd call it a "cleat slide wrap" if it really need a name. To me, it's always been just belaying the spring line. Then going from #2 to #3, all you have to do is throw the actual hitch on. I'm not sure what's up with all the additional hitches.
CaptRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:22   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRory View Post
Yeah...I'd call it a "cleat slide wrap" if it really need a name. To me, it's always been just belaying the spring line. Then going from #2 to #3, all you have to do is throw the actual hitch on. I'm not sure what's up with all the additional hitches.
the poster must be using polypropylene line from the dollar store, very slippery
mk
mkriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:44   #9

Boat: Island Packet 420

Seems to me it is merely a turn around a cleat- duh!!!!!! I guess it is for those people who try to wrestle a dock line directly from the dock into hands- but do they survive long enough with both hands to be on a big boat?
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:12   #10

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

In my life I have come into many marinas and docks where it is a big deal that someone new arrived and had many, many helpful hands take the lines or " ropes", as some think of them, and tie us off according to their various abilities. I always thank them, and while introductions ensue glance at the cleats to assure myself I am not moving anywhere, then when they dissipate I retie what needs it and add a spring line or two. I remember a few really inventive cleating works of art, but I don't remember anytime that I was endangered by folks not knowing what they were doing. Of course tying up to an immovable object is probably the most benign knot tying you will ever use and when I am in the company of people I do not know I check their handy work before risking boat , life and limb to their abilities.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:35   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post
In my life I have come into many marinas and docks where it is a big deal that someone new arrived and had many, many helpful hands take the lines or " ropes", as some think of them, and tie us off according to their various abilities. I always thank them, and while introductions ensue glance at the cleats to assure myself I am not moving anywhere, then when they dissipate I retie what needs it and add a spring line or two. I remember a few really inventive cleating works of art, but I don't remember anytime that I was endangered by folks not knowing what they were doing. Of course tying up to an immovable object is probably the most benign knot tying you will ever use and when I am in the company of people I do not know I check their handy work before risking boat , life and limb to their abilities.
I am a single engine guy and have had two bad dockings over somewhere around 24,000hrs. of cruising. Both times it was people grabbing lines from the dock after being politely told not too. I am no longer polite.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:16   #12

It would be wise for many motorboat skippers to teach their wives how to do this. It used to amuse me watching small women try to haul the stern line of their hubbie's 30,000 pound boat to pull the stern closer to the dock after hubby dropped them off and then blew the docking maneuver.

It no longer amuses me, because it is quite possible that these women can get hurt or, worse, pulled into the water and the hubby wouldn't even know it because he's too busy bellowing but not looking.

One of the very first things we learned was how to use the line around a cleat. You use mechanical advantage. You cannot pull on a line and move a huge boat. You can hurt yourself. You can hurt your boat. You can hurt a neighboring boat.

Why the hell these dunderhead husbands don't teach their wives this basic technique is beyond me.

Doesn't matter what you call the thing.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 15:07   #13

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_gal View Post
Seems to me it is merely a turn around a cleat- duh!!!!!! I guess it is for those people who try to wrestle a dock line directly from the dock into hands- but do they survive long enough with both hands to be on a big boat?
To be a tad more precise, it is actually only a half turn!
A full turn means it has gone the 360 degrees, which naturally means far more like 400 + degrees, but it has actually gone 'fully' around.
Ever wondered why a Round Turn and 2 Half Hitches looks like 2 turns initially?!
Sorry, blame the Royal Navy!
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 15:11   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
One of the very first things we learned was how to use the line around a cleat. You use mechanical advantage. You cannot pull on a line and move a huge boat. You can hurt yourself. You can hurt your boat. You can hurt a neighboring boat.

Why the hell these dunderhead husbands don't teach their wives this basic technique is beyond me.
Yep, Once you have a friction turn around the cleat, don't try to pull directly on the working end if you need to bring the line in. Sweat it in by pulling the bight sideways and then quickly taking up the slack around the cleat.
Old 01-07-2017, 15:13   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

Coming into a dock with unknown dockhands I always insist (rather forcibly sometimes) that they put the line on a cleat. Amazing to me how many supposedly experienced hands will try and muscle our boat into the dock. At 30.000# I tell them it ain't gonna happen.

"Put a turn on the damn cleat! And for gd sake, don't put yourself between our boat and the dock!!"

Tags
boat, dock