Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2019, 08:27   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Attaching things to the standing rigging

There are various things that one might want to attach to the shrouds or backstay:
  1. A small antenna
  2. The block for a flag halyard
  3. Lights or light boards
  4. A cleat for a boom tent
  5. Radar
  6. ...
There are various commercial brackets, clamps, and cleats for the purpose. However, some authorities indicate that there is a risk of weakening the standing rigging either from the point load of the clamping force itself or from the flexing that can occur, especially from attachment of heavier items.

To what extent are these attachment methods reasonable and safe?
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:40   #2

Re: Attaching things to the standing rigging

I dont think it's an issue unless you really clamp down on the fittings. They dont need to be very tight really. Use galvanically compatible hardware.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:36   #3

Boat: Tartan 3800

Here's an example of one of the commercial brackets.

Kato Marine
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:14   #4

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
There are various things that one might want to attach to the shrouds or backstay:
  1. A small antenna
  2. The block for a flag halyard
  3. Lights or light boards
  4. A cleat for a boom tent
  5. Radar
  6. ...
There are various commercial brackets, clamps, and cleats for the purpose. However, some authorities indicate that there is a risk of weakening the standing rigging either from the point load of the clamping force itself or from the flexing that can occur, especially from attachment of heavier items.

To what extent are these attachment methods reasonable and safe?
I prefer anything but metal, DIY wooden block tied fast being the best
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:01   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Anything that retains moisture and can deprive the wire rigging of oxygen can significantly weaken the wire at the point of contact. I have attached rings, to which halyard blocks and cleats are attached with using seizing wire to good effect. A small seizing mallet ensures a tight wrap but one that will not retain moisture. Beyond the foregoing, I do not see the wisdom of attaching an antenna to standing rigging and would not do so, but different ships, different long splices, eh?

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:41   #6

Boat: J/42

I've been using small clamp-on cleats on the uppers to secure the flag halyards, but have toyed with the idea of making a wood pin-rail, secured with lashings as per Toss, on the lowers. Maybe even ratlines. A bit pretentious for my small boat maybe, but so what?

My 1971 (!) backstay has an original "topping lift" pigtail crimped onto it. The wires are distorted beneath the crimp, but it has been there for almost 50 years without issue. (Except for occasionally forgetting to disconnect it before hoisting!) Replacing everything this winter, though. Except that pigtail.

That reminds me... I was supposed to take some zip-lok bags out to the greenhouse (where the mast is stashed) to put all those small parts in. BRB
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 15:47   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Had a quit sturdy bronze clamp fitting that I used to fly the flag from the backstay. It was two plates with a groove for the wire, one Sid with an eye and the other a shorter plate with machine screw tapped into one side to clamp it in place. It worked great but haven't seen it
since I found it 40 years ago.

There was/is s a similar set up in SS but it was stamped with an unneeded crimp at right angle to the the wire where the wire passed through. If the clamp was tightened much at all the crimp distorts the wire. A good idea screwed up.

Have a spring clip that works for light stuff like a flag. The hook that attaches to the wire is curved for small diameter wire , 3/16" wire or smaller, and can be knocked off if you aren't careful.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 16:12   #8

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Here's an example of one of the commercial brackets.

Kato Marine
I have a solar powered, 2nm, white anchor light similarly mounted, and I am not sure I like it. In some (thankfully rare) conditions it acts like a torsion pendulum twisting the backstay first clockwise then counterclockwise about a half a turn each way. It not only twists and untwists the backstay perhaps to the detriment of the backstay, it also comes out of plumb as it rotates around the non-vertical backstay compromising its range.

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 16:14   #9

Boat: Columbia 8.7

I tried a few different spring clips, couldn't get them to work. It seems they need to be designed for the exact thickness of your wire.

Instead, I use polypropylene or nylon string and a Blake's Hitch. The knot was designed to support human weight by lashing to a static line for arborist work.

An issue I had with this was the extra windage from the attached object putting a cyclic load on the turnbuckle, working it loose. Just need to be careful that's secured.
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 18:01   #10

Boat: Peterson 25T / Sabre 362

I use a couple of Crosby clips to attach my radar reflector to the backstay. You can get them in stainless or galvanized.
https://www.thecrosbygroup.com/produ...re-rope-clips/

I use one above and one below to hold it in place.
Dusty Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 19:11   #11

Utilities attach all manner of things to a similar wire cable with no ill effect. From the strand, terminals, cases, lashing wire, etc are all attached. Usually a car hits the poles and breaks all of the attachments before the clamps have any ill effect.
oilystain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 19:34   #12

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post

That reminds me... I was supposed to take some zip-lok bags out to the greenhouse ...

Wow, I really thought that was going in another direction.
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging