Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2015, 07:34   #1

Unattended Trimaran During Hurricane Season

hello all,

first time poster here and not certain if this is the right forum to be posting this. if it is not perhaps someone colud please direct me to the proper one?

here's my question: what to do (if anything) about an unattended boat moored off of my stern?

the boat is a trimaran named "Moon" and she has been unattended for months. i am getting a bit antsy about this mostly because hurricane season will start in a few days and there apparently is no one to tend this vessel should the need arise. (i/we have not seen a soul on her in months). my wife and i are full time live aboards here in the caribbean and this situation makes us Very Nervous as one can imagine. she is sitting on only one anchor. none of the locals questioned know anything about this vessel. it seems Moon's owner is a CF user with a screen name of Bee but has not been active here in years according to his account profile.

Suggestions?
ripple57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 09:37   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Unattended Trimaran During Hurricane Season

Howdy!

Welcome aboard the forum! (This is your first post.)

You don't mention where you are located. ?

Given that I have seen videos showing how multihulls have "flown" in hurricanes, I would...

IF I were in your boat shoes, I would simply make sure that I was "upwind."

I would also ask locals to tell you from which direction the hurricane winds have come in the past and consider historical patterns. See a recent thread I posted here: Tropical Cyclones Hurricanes Typhoons : Amazing Graphic! - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

As a good neighbor/sailor, I would also do as you are doing: Try to identify and communicate with the owner of the vessel.

The following may not help you with your first question, but it may help you in the future with many more.

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is different from using the regular forum search box or field.
Old 29-05-2015, 10:27   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

If that boat looks like a danger, move on.

If you do not want to move, consider securing the tri as well as your boat when a storm approaches.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 10:33   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I know a Moon. Owned by a couple that have returned to the us to work, but I doubt they'd have left it on a single mooring while away.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 10:36   #5
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Predicting hurricane wind direction isn't possible from historical data, it depends if it passes north, south or over you. Ok maybe it's possible in Trinidad
If he was there first it's up to you to move...your call. I wouldn't touch his boat, even if you think your helping
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 19:11   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ripple 57:

As monte suggests, do not do anything to the boat. If you were to, it opens up liability cans of worms.

The best thing you can do is find the next safest place to be. Airborne multihulls can cause a lot of damage, and also just by barging into you. Moored boats dragging down on you are one of the classic causes of damage during hurricanes. You seem aware of this, but i just wanted to underline it. Look for a new hidy hole where at least the people will be aboard, or, set up your boat so she is really secure, if your plan is to go ashore for the duration. If the eye goes over you, you have to be prepared for a 180 degree wind shift, so maybe a Bahamanian moor would work well for you.

However, in the mean time, maybe someone on CF would know how to locate "Bee" for you. A poster called Gordon May is a whiz at finding out "stuff", and has been around CF for quite a while (by internet standards), perhaps a PM to him would help.

Ann
Old 29-05-2015, 19:34   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Predicting hurricane wind direction isn't possible from historical data, it depends if it passes north, south or over you. Ok maybe it's possible in Trinidad
If he was there first it's up to you to move...your call. I wouldn't touch his boat, even if you think your helping
Yeah, Trinidad would be the place to be.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 03:31   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, ripple.

I would probably move.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 04:00   #9

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

If she's US-registered you might be able to locate the owners from the coast guard vessel documentation center. The lookup server is offline as of this writing but the link is found if you search for NVDC Information Server
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 03:02   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

No, no, no. You are obligated to render assistance to a vessel in distress if it does not endanger you.

As a big trimaran owner I recommend:
Board the vessel and assist the owner. Take off all trampolenes, fresh water wash, dry and place in an ama or under a tender. This greatly reduces windage that will lift it.

If on anchor, get one 55 gallon plastic drum. Drill holes in the top edge for a rope to attach to chain. Drill two holes in bottom. Tie drum about 1.5 feet below chain and spread load to the edges. Lower drum to water level. Fill drum with very course sand..peebles best. You want it so the drum contents can be tipped out when not needed.

Now lower this massive kellet deep. If a sandy holding to just above bottom. If coral and rock make sure the drum doesnt knock into anything.

I use two on my trimaran. However, mine is very big.

Winds and waves must first pick up the whole weight before any load on anchor.

Next is their a bridle? This must be done with care. I run a rope from only ONE ama out to the chain. I have a rubber shock absorber. When pulled about 80-70% of the load goes to central hull. Only 20-30% to ama. This keeps the boat from swinging back and forth.

Send name and number to address and describe what you did and why. They violated insurance long ago by having no one there to do regular inspections.

Do not ask for money. You did this for your piece of mind. It will come back that money and work. Pay it forward.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 04:23   #11

Boat: CHB 50

pbmaise, the world could do with many more considerate and thoughtful people like you. I also like your anchoring scheme. May the next anchorage I seek from a storm be filled with sailors like you.
Krawdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane, trimaran