Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2017, 16:07   #1

Boat: Kurt Hughes 36 daychrter cat
help planning abaco trip

Hi folks!

I hope to sail over to the Abacos next spring, in my 36 Kurt Hughes catamaran.

Will have some family and guests fly over for a week or so and rent a place somewhere. I want to pick a place to stay with plenty of stuff to do, etc, since I am not sure how much relaxation they can take. Ideally a cottage with a dock and easy access (only need couple of feet draft, but am 23 ft wide). I am thinking elbow key, but I have never been in there, and am not familiar with the best anchorages etc. Is there lot of stuff to do there? I want to be able to get out easy, sail , fish, snorkel etc. I will probably tow over an extra four person dingy too.

What do you guys recommend? I am not fixated on any place yet, though Treasure key or green turtle probably not. I really like man o war, when I went there years ago, but am not sure my non boating guests would be as impressed.

Also time of year. When is best? is mid march too early ya thinK? I know we'll have to wait for weather before crossing, but don't want to have to hunker down too long. The place we pick will probably have to have a reservation, so I need to be able to get there on time.

Any comments appreciated!
Charly
charlystsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 19:13   #2

Re: help planning abaco trip

Elbow Cay is our favorite inhabited place in the Abacos. Your guests can fly into Marsh Harbor and take the ferry over to Elbow Cay. Or, you can take your boat over to Boat Harbor to pick them up.

Sea Spray Marina in White Sound has cottages for rent. The dockmaster, Reynaldo, is a great guy.

There may be cottages with docks in Hope Town, but I'm not sure. The marina/hotel in Hope Town has beautiful cottages, but they are expensive. It's a great place to spend an afternoon with the swim up bar. Be sure to try the "Not your Mama's Grilled Cheese Sandwich".

We've been there with great weather from November thru April, but cold fronts do occasionally move through. Lots of day trip options from Elbow, including Great Guana, Little Harbor, and Treasure Cay.

I hope you'll leave yourself plenty of time to get to Elbow Cay. There are lots of great places to see between West End and the Whale.

We always spend at least one night at Old Bahama Bay, enjoying the resort as a reward for a successful crossing.

Finally, join the Royal Marsh Harbor Yacht Club. The membership fee will pay for itself with discounts all over the Abacos.

Have a great time!
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abaco