Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2018, 23:19   #1

Boat: Grew up sailing Blue Jays then Lightnings, Ensign 22, Hunter 33 sailed the PNW and loved it!
need advice on two boats

Going back to sail and looking at a Dana and PSC 31.. Looking for input.

THIS IS THE DANA 1989 Pacific Seacraft Dana 24 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

psc 31
31' Pacific Seacraft Cutter

• Year: 1997
  • Current Price: US$ 109,000 (01/18)
  • Located in Seattle, WA
  • Hull Material: Fiberglass
  • Engine/Fuel Type: Single diesel
  • YW# 61891-3172699

STARFISH, designed by William Crealock and built by Pacific Seacraft, is a vessel worthy of offshore journeys yet equally at home on protected coastal waterways. Ideally suited to the cruising couple or single handed sailor, she provides a safe and seakindly platform wherever she takes you. On deck, she is easily navigated with sail controls close at hand. Her cutter rig pushes her along at a good turn of speed ensuring a smile on the face of both captain and crew. When she arrives at her destination, she will turn the heads of passing sailors admiring her fine lines, reverse shear transom and salty good looks. Down below she has the load carrying capacity, ventilation, and layout of a seasoned veteran with the classic finishes of a well-crafted yacht. STARFISH may be small in stature but she delivers the basics with exactness and aplomb. She is indeed testament to the adage that good things do come in small packages.
The owner has receipts for over $30,000 of upgrades and maintenance since 2016. Photos will be added in the next week.

Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:

Boat Name STARFISH Specs Builder: Pacific Seacraft
Designer: William Crealock
Flag of Registry: United States
Keel: Fin
Dimensions LOA: 31 ft 0 in
Beam: 9 ft 10 in
Maximum Draft: 4 ft 11 in
Displacement: 11000 lbs
Ballast: 4400 lbs
Headroom: 6 ft 1 in
Engines Engine 1:
Engine Brand: Yanmar
Year Built: 1997
Engine Model: 3GM30-F
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Propeller: 3 blade propeller
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 27 HP
Tanks Fresh Water Tanks: 2 Fiberglass (65 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: 1 Aluminum (30 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: 1 Plastic (16 Gallons)
Accommodations Number of single berths: 2
Number of double berths: 2
Number of heads: 1

Accomodations
Entering through the companionway of STARFISH, one is immediately impressed by the open and inviting space. White matte finishes offset with hand rubbed teak cabinetry, teak stave ceilings and a teak and holly floor showcase a classic interior. The white overhead is zippered for easy access to deck hardware and wiring. Headroom is over 6”. Ten opening ports, two dorades and a large operable hatch in the cabin top allow for plenty of ventilation. Light from ports and strategically placed overhead and reading lights create a warm interior when it’s gray outside or after the sun has set. Her storage capacity is excellent with lockers and drawers under berths and in the galley.
While many of the spaces down below have dual functions, they are not compromised by careless design. Rather they are clearly more than the sum of their parts. Beginning aft of the companionway, there is a large double berth perfect for the occasional guest and a huge area for storage when on an extended cruise. One water tank is under the aft berth. The engine is easily accessed under the companionway stairs with further access to shaft and shaft seal under the berth cushions.
The head is to starboard of the companionway. The integral shower has a teak grate. The toilet is facing forward and a small sink is set in the outboard counter. Three drawers and a cupboard are below the counter with a sliding door cabinet above the counter and a wet locker aft of the toilet. An opening port provides good ventilation.
Forward of the head is the standup nav station. The top of the chart table is large and can easily accommodate charts and other planning tools. Navigation equipment, electrical panels and monitoring devices are outboard and aft of the chart table. In keeping with a duality of purpose, the navigation table top lifts up and gives access to the large Adler Barbour 12volt refrigerator with small freezer compartment. Chart storage is available in the tilt out locker on the front face of the refrigerator box. There is a hanging locker with louvered doors between the chart table and the head.
The L-shaped galley is to starboard of the companionway. The gimballed Force 10 stove is aft most with double stainless sink with locker below forward. Usable counter space can be increased when the stove is not in use and the counter section stowed behind the stove is employed. Two storage bins are set in the counter, and there is open plate storage, cutlery drawer and sliding door cupboards outboard. Two large drawers and a louvered cupboard are below the counter. There is hot and cold pressure water as well as a fresh water foot pump.
The main salon is in the mid-section of the boat. Two 6’10” settee berths with storage below are to port and starboard. Perfect seaberths, they are situated so that your head faces aft, the safest and preferred position when sleeping at sea. At the forward end of each settee is a cubby, a great place for stowing bedding when not in use. Teak shelves are outboard of each settee. At first glance the open main salon seems to lack a salon table. However, a cleverly designed dining table is hidden under the v-berth. When needed, it easily pulls out and attaches to the mast compression post.
With no bulkheads to visually limit the spaces down below, this 31’ boat has room to breathe.

Electronics and Navigation
  • Icom M-59 VHF
  • B & G Network Data: speed, depth and wind
  • B& G Depthsounder
  • B & G Windspeed and direction
  • B & G Knotmeter
  • B & G Autopilot
  • Richie Powerdamp compass
  • Sony stereo with two Infinity speakers
  • Blipper radar reflector on mast
  • Anchor, side, stern and bow/steaming lights

Electrical
  • 120 volt AC and 12 volt DC electrical panels
  • Heart Interface inverter/charger with Link 2000R control panel
  • (4) Centennial Six volt GC2 224 amp AGM batteries for 450 amp house bank (2017)
  • Optimus OPT-D27M 12V AGM Start battery (2017)
  • 30 Amp shore power outlet
  • 50’ shore power cord

Mechanical
  • Yanmar 3GM30-F, 27hp, 1189 hours
  • Bronze three bladed prop
  • Spare two bladed prop
  • Engine serviced (2016)
  • Fuel line replaced (2016)
  • New engine cover insulation (2017)
  • Edson pedestal steering
  • Webasto AT2000ST forced air heater (2016)
  • Jabsco V-Flo 5GPM potable water pump (2016)
  • Automatic bilge pump
  • Shower sump pump
  • Whale Gusher manual bilge pump
  • Holding tank cleaned and resealed (2017)

Deck and Hull
The Pacific Seacraft is stoutly built and designed to stand up to the rigors of the ocean while providing a safe platform for her crew. The strong, seakindly design begins with a long fin keel and skeg hung rudder and is also reflected in a hull constructed of hand laminated fiberglass with a first hull laminate of vinylester resin. The deck to hull joint and external chainplates are bedded and thru bolted. The decks are wide and free of gear with 4” high bulwarks and double stainless steel lifelines making forward passage free of obstacles. The dual anchor roller houses two anchors as part of a robust anchoring system. The cockpit is designed to be comfortable with good ergonomics and safety in mind. There is a contoured helmsman seat and 7’ long bench seats port and starboard. Large cockpit drains in the sole will quickly empty the cockpit of unwanted water. Safety harness pad eyes are strategically placed at the companionway and steering pedestal. Teak handrails run the length of the coachtop. Storage is available in three cockpit lazarettes and a propane locker is fitted into the starboard coaming. The gelcoat is Antique White with contrasting blue boot and sheer stripe. Cap rails and rub strake are solid teak.
  • Bottom sanded and painted (2016)
  • Hull sides buffed and waxed (2016)
  • Additional ballast (lead ingots) added to correct trim (2016)
  • (2) Stainless steel dorade vents (powder coated 2016)
  • (10) Opening chrome plated ports
  • Lighthouse 1501 windlass (rebuilt 2015)
  • Large Bomar opening hatch on coachtop
  • Fiberglass seahood, teak companionway hatch with drop boards
  • Dual bow roller
  • Divided chain locker
  • 35lb CQR with 160’ of chain
  • 25lb CQR with 50’of chain and 200’of rode
  • (2) 12” cleats forward
  • (2) 10” cleats mounted on track midships
  • (2) Stern cleats
  • Stainless steel boarding gates port, starboard and aft
  • Boarding ladder integral to aft gate
  • Double stainless steel stanchions
  • Stainless steel pushpit and pulpit

Sails and Rigging
  • Deck stepped, single spreader aluminum mast
  • Aluminum boom with two internal reefs and outhaul
  • Aluminum whisker pole with track on mast
  • SS 1X16 wire stays and shrouds
  • Harken roller furler
  • Mechanical boom vang
  • Mainsail with two reefs
  • 130% Genoa
  • New Genoa UV cover, webbings and leech line (2017)
  • Staysail
  • Detachable staysail stay with quick release
  • Recessed mainsheet traveler mounted on bridge deck
  • Lazy Jacks
  • (2) Harken #42 self-tailing primary winches
  • (4) Harken #16 self-tailing secondary winches on cabin top
  • Line stoppers for cabin top winches
  • Cleats at each winch
  • Rig tuned (2016)
  • Strong Track (2016)
  • Amstel topping lift (2016)

Miscellaneous
  • New Canvas (2016) including dodger, bimini, main cover and winch, handrail and windlass covers
  • Swim ladder
  • Fenders
  • Dock lines
  • Lifesling
  • Outboard bracket on pushpit
  • Boson’s chair
  • Cockpit cushions
Having troubles posting pics.. the boat is very clean!
topfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 23:21   #2

Boat: Grew up sailing Blue Jays then Lightnings, Ensign 22, Hunter 33 sailed the PNW and loved it!
Re: need advice on two boats

click photos and you can see this clean boat!
Old 22-03-2018, 00:12   #3

The Dana is in possible purchase. I will offer more then asking price to get this boat. I want to keep it at Everett WA which have slips available. The 31 has no slips.. I may just go to Anacortes! It is all a trade off.. I love the dana but the 31 just offers so much more! really want input! Thank you so very much for any and all input! I will have a boat with in 30 days!
Old 22-03-2018, 05:47   #4

Boat: 53' Cutter

You are comparing apples to apples - small apples to large apples, but still.

You are not going to go wrong either way as far as the boats are concerned. It all comes down to storage space, hull speed, and living space.

Other considerations are fees due to size when using marinas/moorings when charged by the foot.
SailsWithFists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 06:39   #5

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

The 31 will be a better sailing boat, and easier to maneuver under power, with the modified keel. Ultimately, you will enjoy just a little more room that the 31 has to offer. Looks like it is in very good shape. Quite a difference in price. 31 might be a little high, you could probably find a 34, and possibly a 37 for that price, but it looks impeccable, and that is worth something. I certainly enjoyed my 37, they don't build boats like that anymore.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 08:22   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

What are you planning to use the boat for? coastal cruising or the other extreme of crossing oceans?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 08:26   #7

PETE.. Coastal cruising in PNW and extended living aboard! My health does not allow for offshore passage making! Thanks for your input! Canadian gulf islands as well. If my health permits I would like to coastal cruise down south Baha!
Old 22-03-2018, 08:35   #8

I agree you are comparing two very different boats. Is it just you or a couple? If a couple , the 31 I suppose. Both seem to be fine boats.
I have buddy boated with a Dana 24. Nice little boat, as fast as my "old school" Bill Garden 30 was on the water. But that's a ton of money for a 24 ft boat. Finding a buyer for an expensive small boat is probably pretty hard, it's hard selling any boats usually. Especially if you aren't going offshore. You dont need an off shore style/cost boat to sail the Salish sea..
Advantage: Narrow enough to trailer if you ever want to.

Of course both the boats you are looking at are not cheap for their size. Single handing my 30 and my 31 footers was easy. I like that size for overall use.... and again you could spend a lot less for either. But both boats are great boats.
Much of PNW good weather sailing will be motoring.... the more waterline length you have, the faster you will get somewhere. A lot of tidal currents also. So keep that in mind.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 08:50   #9

very true and great observation cheech. Quality comes with a cost my friend. To build a new dana 24 at seacraft in seattle is around 160 thousand base boat. A new 31 is about 320K base boat as a 34 would be 380K base and the 37 is out of my price range. need to purchase used unless I can find a SUGAR MOMMA WHICH MOST LIKELY NOT HAPPEN
Old 22-03-2018, 08:58   #10

My real dilemma and some input would be nice. I can afford a small dana 24 and not sell home. a larger boat might cause me to sell home as I spend more time on my boat! At 100K I can buy a really nice live aboard. My concern would be not sailing as often. I would sail the dana daily just around port gardner and is that not what it is all about? I looked a 41 Hans Christian and feel I would be dock bound do to my health and inability to single hand the boat!
Old 22-03-2018, 09:15   #11

Boat: Pearson 34

For the price of the 31, you can have a much more comfortable live aboard cruiser that you might not want to cross oceans in but will get you to Baha safely. You really need to decide whether or not living aboard is realistic for you and your other half. We did it for a few years and loved it - but now have a smaller boat and enjoy it 3-4 months a year.
rsb
RSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 09:35   #12

I never have gone there, but have often thought a small boat would be fun fur sure. Simple, easy, tuck into small pockets etc without a big worry. I ran into three old farts like me cruising the Salish sea last summer. I caught up with them in LaConner. They were tooling around and docking for the night. They all had 21-23 footers and were single handing having a great time. One of them had a little Rob Roy 23 Brewer. Cool.
I have dreamed of having a very shallow draft (18"?) and could spend a year in the Bahamas. There are hundreds of square miles of 3 ft water no one ever goes to with lobsters under every coral head!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rob_roy_23_photo.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	166805  

Old 22-03-2018, 09:40   #13

If you want to venture out to Van Isle on the outside, Barkeley Sound etc (You must!) the 31 would be better.
If you seriously want to do Baja, The Dana 24 could be trailered there!

Old 22-03-2018, 09:48   #14

Quote: "boatless at present. list of boats owned would be to long!...Thank you so very much for any and all input!"

I trust you really mean that last bit :-)!

And if you mean the first bit, your question seems perplexing. With a wealth of experience and countless boats behind you, why are you even asking us? You know your circumstances and you know your intended use of yet another boat you intend to acquire. You know that the Salish Sea is utterly benign and that in the "season" you must expect to motor more than you sail. You say you MAY do the West Coast to Baha. You know, I presume, that the West Coast is anything but benign. So what is YOUR list of "must haves" for yet another boat? Be specific!

You are aware, since you've owned so many boats, that boats, except in exceptional circumstances, one sells a boat for LESS than one paid for it. And what is the significance of "new construction" cost in a market that is glutted with perfectly adequate used boats?

You cannot be unaware that 80% of required utility is generally achieved for 20% of the possible expenditure. So why consider boats that are GROSSLY overpriced?

Quote: "I will have a boat with in 30 days!"

A classic mistake. Just like quality, IMPATIENCE costs. And money spent due to impatience will never be recovered, not even in part!

You should be able in the present market to acquire an ADEQUATELY found 30 foot boat for thirty grand. Use the money saved to augment you annual cruising budget.

For illumination: TrentePieds came to us for half the listing price, and for 1/3 of what the PO had spent on her, for "improvements", in the last two years of his ownership - spent on her! I have no idea of what HIS acquisition cost may have been. TP is perfectly fine for the Salish Sea. No sensible man would attempt the West Coast in her.

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 10:27   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfish View Post
PETE.. Coastal cruising in PNW and extended living aboard! My health does not allow for offshore passage making! Thanks for your input! Canadian gulf islands as well. If my health permits I would like to coastal cruise down south Baha!
Not sure I like the price of the Dana if the batteries are 13 years old, sort of start questioning what else is on its last gasp

Are there any other boats you like the look of because both of those look expensive. How about something cheaper in the 30ft range which allows you to then live on board and rent the house out.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat