Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2018, 00:10   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Eleuthera 60
Where to Liveaboard South East US? Lagoon 450

Hi all, my wife and I and six kids, ages 9, 8, 6, 4, 3, 2 months, are moving aboard our L450 full time in January. Boat currently in Aruba; we are in California. Sailing and tiny house living aren’t new to us in case you were concerned, wink wink.

We have no hang ups or preconceived limitations as to where to live. We also homeschool. Plan to head north or south of the hurricane box by June.

I will be looking for local Florida crew to meet me in Aruba to bring the boat back up in late January; PM me if you are qualified...insurance says I’m not yet for that passage (likely because I’m not, hehe).

Yes, I searched this site. Yes, I searched the dock and boat slip sites and am emailing many marinas...I’m looking for personal recommendations.

Our criteria:

1. Liveaboards allowed...ya, all of us.

2. Price: $3k/mo or less.

3. Our boat fits: 26’ beam, 75’ air draft.

4. Decent marine techs around to help with making her a home (electrician for solar array, etc).

5. Allows work to be done on the dock within reason.

6. Nearby stores/amenities would be nice, a pool would rock!

7. Nearby areas of interest to shake down the boat.

Thanks all! Let the onslaught begin ;-)

-Derek
Old 04-10-2018, 00:51   #2

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: Where to Liveaboard South East US? Lagoon 450

I'm a fan of Sailfish marina in WPB. Fits all your descriptors, though not 100% on the pricing for your cat. They have a pool , close to everything you need, friendly marina mates. Stones throw from Lake Worth inlet, no bridges, quick shot out to the ocean for sailing. Quick dinghy to peanut island for hanging out and camping. Bahamas at your fingertips.

Congrats btw!
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:49   #3
Marine Service Provider

Thanks Laika. I left them a voicemail at Sailfish...
Old 05-10-2018, 10:01   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

It's not clear you are really looking for a live aboard slip. Live aboard can be hard to get and raise red flags with the marina. Asking for a transient slip for a couple of months as you pass through the area is often taken more kindly.
Also, if you have significant work to be done, sometimes a shop located in the marina can help get you into 'work' transient slip so they can perform the work and grease the way with marina management.
Old 05-10-2018, 14:24   #5
Marine Service Provider

Paul L- Good point about transient versus permanent live aboard; I had not that of that obvious difference.

I will also consider the marina-shop route.

Thanks
Old 06-10-2018, 09:23   #6

Thanks Paul, good point!. I had same problem around Miami City Area. If any of you know any temporary even free anchorage area close to Coconut:-))) ( sorry if ASK too much,ejejeje...)
chavodelocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 19:49   #7
Marine Service Provider

Just a follow up for anyone who comes across this thread. I used PierShare.com and found a private dock behind someone’s house for $1,350/month total.

I have water/electricity hookups and am allowed to do work on the boat. It’s a few miles up the channel in Ft. Lauderdale.

The other marinas I was getting feedback from that had space for a multihull were in the $2,500+ range.

Good luck to us all and happy hunting [emoji106]
Old 29-10-2018, 07:41   #8

Thanks Stella Maris;-)))).

Any chance, do you know, to get a free anchorage close to Key dinner marina?. I was told there´s several places over there...even in many places around Miami city???. Anyway,thanks for the advice and site. Pretty interesting and not so expensive!!!!.

All the Best y Buena Mar!!!.

Chavo
Old 29-10-2018, 09:29   #9
Marine Service Provider

Chavo - I am not yet familiar with the area to answer that. From satellite images it appears so; my broker who lives there full time said there were free anchorages too. But all have told me things are in a state of redevelopment and or hurricane cleanup in a couple ‘normal’ anchorages.

Good luck!

Derek
Old 30-10-2018, 08:07   #10

Thanks Derek!!!.

May I ask u for your broker´s email...just to ask details,details and details:-)))

All the Best y Buena Mar!.

Gonzalo
Old 01-11-2018, 16:08   #11
Marine Service Provider

I appreciate your gusto Gonzalo,

My broker's email isn't mine to give besides as a reference for work. If you tell me you're interested in buying or selling; PM me and I'll pass on your email. I'm sure the other brokers out there would agree.

-Cheers
sv Stella Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 18:06   #12

Boat: Maxim 380

If you don't mind being a little further north check out Bay St Louis Marina. Probably $300.00 a month for your boat.
tunnelvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 18:30   #13

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

I'm glad you were able to find a place.

You're not likely to find it in the rules but many marinas no longer allow live-aboards with children. You will likely see a rule stating no more than two people are permitted on the boat for more than a few days.

Tags
lagoon, liveaboard