Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2016, 18:09   #1

Intel Compsute Stick navigation

Hi folks,

My son and I are working together to piece together a backup navigation system using Intel's compute stick, which only costs about 160 usd and is no larger than a large USB drive.

It runs Windows 10, 32gb ssd, has two USB ports, one for input device and another for the GPS antenna. It has wifi, and has enough processing power to power HD graphics despite needing no fan for active cooling.

Basically we intend to use it to provide weather routing, backup navigation, and be flexible enough that can be used for what you usually use a PC for.

My question is we need to find a few good options for marine spec screens that is HDMI/mini-HDMI compatible. Touch screen isn't necessary per second as we indeed to hook up a keyboard/trackball/ibm nipple.

Thanks for any suggestions!
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 21:04   #2

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: Intel Compsute Stick navigation

The intel Nucs are good devices.

Whats wrong with a laptop, opencpn, cheap gps dongle? You get a portable, ups equipped device.

We have several Linux laptops for this purpose. We have a standard repo of the Linux OS, packages and config scripts that we can use to build a new laptop quickly and while offline.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 21:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
The intel Nucs are good devices.

Whats wrong with a laptop, opencpn, cheap gps dongle? You get a portable, ups equipped device.

We have several Linux laptops for this purpose. We have a standard repo of the Linux OS, packages and config scripts that we can use to build a new laptop quickly and while offline.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I've had really bad luck with laptops - for many years I used a Thinkpad X61, it started overheating and I replaced the fan assembly after about six years, then it needed a new battery - which cost more than a new intel nuc. I figured if my house battery was dead and couldn't supply a intel nuc, I doubt my laptop is going to be much better.
Old 27-07-2016, 21:40   #4

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

some good deals at Online Shopping for Smartphone, TV Box, Tablet PC, RC Quadcopter, VR Headset at Geekbuying
Old 28-07-2016, 08:36   #5

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I've been using SeaClear on a cheap widescreen laptop with a GPS dongle for years. It is a nice freeware navigation package that is easy to learn. You could set up a complete package for under $50 (12v computer power cord, GPS dongle, free NOAA charts and free software) plus a few hundred for a used tablet or laptop. Hard to beat that big screen.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 09:00   #6

Boat: 1988 Hunter Legend 35

As a backup I use a Samsung tab 10.3 which runs android and has gps built in.

For the navigation piece I run OpenCPN but also have been looking at Navionics - have to say it worked pretty flawlessly when my Garmin was playing up, taking me from Baltimore, up the Chesapeake, through the C&D, down the Delaware to Cape May and then up to Sandy Hook.
grae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 09:06   #7

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I think the OP is looking for monitor options.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 10:41   #8

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

This seams to be reinventing the wheel. Any android smartphone or tablet with a built in GPS and Jepenson's Plan2nav with Cmap megawide chart plus a waterproof case will provide a fully independent backup nav system. Add a 15w portable solar panel and it will work anywhere. Total cost including solar is about $300. There are lots of options for the phone/tablet between $100 and $200 so the stick you are talking about sound as if it would be significantly more expensive as well as more complicated. I find the most important quality for all backup/emergency gear is that it is simple, robust and requires minimal maintenance. That insure it is available and working when you need it which is usually in a hurry, at night and in bad weather!
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 11:18   #9

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Cool stuff.
I use a MAC Mini.
Still looking for best displays.
Good Luck
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 11:29   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
This seams to be reinventing the wheel. Any android smartphone or tablet with a built in GPS and Jepenson's Plan2nav with Cmap megawide chart plus a waterproof case will provide a fully independent backup nav system. Add a 15w portable solar panel and it will work anywhere. Total cost including solar is about $300. There are lots of options for the phone/tablet between $100 and $200 so the stick you are talking about sound as if it would be significantly more expensive as well as more complicated. I find the most important quality for all backup/emergency gear is that it is simple, robust and requires minimal maintenance. That insure it is available and working when you need it which is usually in a hurry, at night and in bad weather!
My apologies - I should have said this is meant to provide redundancy and weather routing capability instead of backup. It isn't intended to be removed from the boat if we're getting in the life raft, neither is it supposed to function if the house batteries are dead. The purpose is a easily transferable general purpose PC that I can download updates/firmware/setup/music/media/pictures/routing information/save charts before departure - then basically walk onboard and plug it in and that's that.

Why do I prefer it over a phone or tablet? I've had more lithium ion batteries fail after several years, alluded to in my Thinkpad X61 experience, than house batteries dying without warning. My ditchbag gps is powered by alkaline.

So the original question was re whether anyone has had luck finding a good marine monitor w/ HDMI/mini HDMI inputs...
Old 28-07-2016, 12:32   #11

Boat: Hylas 49

Island Time PC had a list of monitors, but it is out of date as best I can tell:

03/01/12
CCFL Backlight
ViewEra V151HV
ViewEra V151BN
ViewEra V172SV
ViewEra V172BN
ViewEra V191HV
ViewEra V191BN
LED Backlight
SAMSUNG S22A300B no vesa
Samsung S22A100N 12-14 volt input
SAMSUNG S22A350H VGA & DVI 12-14 volt
AOC e943F/e2043F/e2243F/e2343F vesa on base
Hanns-G HL193AB/HL231HP/HL193ABB
Mag Innovision GML1920/GML2226/GML2427 Have VESA mount
Hannspree By HannsG SL231DPB
I-Inc IK141ABB 14" Widescreen LED Monitor Vesa
I-Inc IK161ABB 16"

USB power and data
DoubleSight DS-90U Black 8.9" 1024 x 600 USB powered
AOC e1649Fwu USB powered
Good US sources for these monitors:
Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More - Newegg.com
Mwave.com - Buy Computer Parts, Hardware, Software, Electronics, Karaoke Home Entertainment, Cell Phones, Netbooks, Notebooks, iPods, Apple Computers and more at the lowest prices and best service from Mwave.com
http://www.tigerdirect.com
Amazon

I'm interested in a similar setup. The other option is to buy a 12 volt TV from a camping/RV/Truck place.
I use a Thinkpad T420. That x61 must be ancient!
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 12:55   #12

Boat: Clipper 60 SII

My Samsung UN22F500 (22 inch 12v) is now a couple of years old and has put up with a few storms and power brown-outs. It has a great picture and uses very little power. Being a Samsung it will be easy to service or replace if it ever needs it.
Kiwi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 15:10   #13

+1 for the 12v TV
I just upgraded my primary Nav laptop and want a remote screen in the cockpit. My electronics guru said the suitable waterproof screens are very expensive & recommends making a box or cover for the TV..
Dave
Olddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 17:59   #14

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

Panasonic/cf-30 work station/built in gps/open cpn world cmap/does mail-ebay-cruisers forum.com-parts chaser//panasonic cf-19 nav station /built in gps/open cpn world cmap ais pc navtex cruising stuff

don't like using the nav comp for internet/telstra wifi modem prepaid plugged into cig socket will run 5 machines at the same time (666 forbid)

samsung gt-s6310t phone with built in gps/paired to smart watch with own pre-paid sim/(new toy thanks to someone on this forum talking about them)
we live on board/nav station is only used at sea / work station is used daily (now for instance) / the work station is also navigation capable and can be used if necessary / the phones are only good within the gsm network range but the gps and navionics charting in the Samsung is network independent and has tested accurate and reliable at sea / very handy for navigating back to the boat in the dinghy if rain squall or fog comes in while on shore / the phone receives email alerts,ebay bidding and is used most of the time instead of using the laptop (progress) the watch paired to the phone nicknamed 86 keeps very good time is waterproof and cheap ($35aud) and also receives email /doesn't have to be paired to the phone as there is a local or phone link on the watch screen (the phone is slowly getting left behind also) / the watch is only 24 hour battery but easy to charge with usb cord and magnetic plug.

if you can follow all that the new phones will do what you need in shore as well as backup navigation off shore / but don't take the place of dedicated built in marine instruments /
there is a program called portable apps that loads into a flash drive that runs open cpn / some gps sticks have four gigabyte storage / a yacht in Darwin used a gps stick running open cpn with world cmap plugged into a pretty average looking old laptop to navigate from india through indo to new guinea and was last seen heading west coast / his whole setup cost him $120 aud .
sorry about the long reply / only just skimming the surface of this subject /
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 09:20   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
Hi folks,

My son and I are working together to piece together a backup navigation system using Intel's compute stick, which only costs about 160 usd and is no larger than a large USB drive.

It runs Windows 10, 32gb ssd, has two USB ports, one for input device and another for the GPS antenna. It has wifi, and has enough processing power to power HD graphics despite needing no fan for active cooling.

Basically we intend to use it to provide weather routing, backup navigation, and be flexible enough that can be used for what you usually use a PC for.

My question is we need to find a few good options for marine spec screens that is HDMI/mini-HDMI compatible. Touch screen isn't necessary per second as we indeed to hook up a keyboard/trackball/ibm nipple.

Thanks for any suggestions!

OK, not quite what you asked for (sorry ), but these are good, and have has alot of good feedback:
PIPO X9S 4GB 64GB Windows 10 Mini PC Intel Cherry Trail Z8300

Also, it has an HDMI connector as well, allowing a remote display etc.

As a good start, have a look here also:
Sailing with free software | Sailoog
It has OpenCPN etc. already installed, and works with a number of items for navigation and boat status.
Have a look at the Raspberry Pi based openplotter, which is on that site too, I have downloaded it and installed it on a Pi3, but have not put it in the boat yet.

Let me know how you get on!
philtrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation