Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2019, 22:23   #1

Starlink and it's application to sailing, navigating?

This is a general question about how you all feel about the new SpaceX Starlink satellite internet constellation and whether you think that will be useful for sailors in the future when it becomes operational?
dustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 22:52   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Starlink and it's application to sailing, navigating?

Not a fan of space junk. ESA already had to shift the orbit of one of its satellites to avoid hitting a starlink. We are inching closer and closer to being trapped in a shell of trash we can't escape.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:15   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

It's going to be great, eventually, but a lot more satellites need to be launched before it reaches a point of any real utility and broad coverage.

SpaceX is already working with the military on testing for aircraft and other mobile units, so we can only hope that some of that technology trickles down in the form of affordable, usable mobile applications.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:42   #4

Soon as they start selling , I'll be signing up. Will take a while for marine suitable receivers to hit the streets but it will be a game changer. The recent aircraft test got 610 megabits per-second ! if I could get 5mbs to the boat I'd be delighted.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:23   #5

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23iL23 View Post
Soon as they start selling , I'll be signing up. Will take a while for marine suitable receivers to hit the streets but it will be a game changer. The recent aircraft test got 610 megabits per-second ! if I could get 5mbs to the boat I'd be delighted.
The receiver and antenna for Starlink should work just as well for marine as for anything else. The antenna is typically the biggest issue, hence the big domes you see for the traditional marine satellite systems. There's a mechanically steered antenna below the dome, but Starlink will use waveguide technology to "steer" the antenna, the physical array remains stationary. This is great from a marine perspective, not only because the flat pizza-box sized antenna can just be mounted statically, but the waveguide can "point" at the satellites in milliseconds rather than the multi-second slew time of a mechanical array. And it uses a lot less power too.

Very keen to see where things go with Starlink!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:55   #6

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64

The future. I can hardly wait. Can you imagine dumping the current incredibly expensive low performance domes, including tracking dishes, for an inexpensive reasonably highspeed internet system that can stream video anywhere.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:03   #7

Boat: Lagoon 450F

Assuming they can hit the $80/month price point being bandied about the web (or even double that, for that matter), this goes on the must-buy list for me. Sign me up. Totally enables remote work from anywhere. Already told my boss to anticipate my two days per week in the office to ramp back to something far less frequent...and to expect me to show up at the office with a tan if I show up at all. Renders SSB+modems and related headaches completely obsolete.

Biggest downside will be that communication will be too easy...and my quiet no-TV, no-Netflix, no-devices zone for the kidz may be completely violated.
IAmGroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:50   #8

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Agreed, if they can hit a reasonable price point, I'll be beating a path to their door to try them out.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:52   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

SpaceX Starlink won’t be alone.

OneWeb, supported by Intelsat, Virgin Qualcomm, SoftBank and Hughes Networks Systems, intends to launch 640 satellites across 21 launches to create global broadband by 2020. They launched their first 12 satellites in February.
https://www.oneweb.world/

There’s also Amazon, whose ‘Project Kuiper’ could see 3,236 satellites create a global broadband internet service after 2021.
https://www.amazon.jobs/en/teams/projectkuiper

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:04   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by garychurch View Post
The future. I can hardly wait. Can you imagine dumping the current incredibly expensive low performance domes, including tracking dishes, for an inexpensive reasonably highspeed internet system that can stream video anywhere.
Not to mention disrupt if not outright kill the satellite phone business.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:09   #11

Boat: Lagoon 450F

Indeed. Looks like OneWeb plans the same flat-top phased-array antenna as StarLink, which bodes well for boat deployment. Could not find any such implementation details for Project Kuiper. Kuiper could end up being late to the game, given that OneWeb and StarLink already have some satellites in orbit.

Looking forward to seeing some power specs on these terminals...
IAmGroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:10   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
SpaceX Starlink won’t be alone.

OneWeb, supported by Intelsat, Virgin Qualcomm, SoftBank and Hughes Networks Systems, intends to launch 640 satellites across 21 launches to create global broadband by 2020. They launched their first 12 satellites in February.
https://www.oneweb.world/

There’s also Amazon, whose ‘Project Kuiper’ could see 3,236 satellites create a global broadband internet service after 2021.
https://www.amazon.jobs/en/teams/projectkuiper
But they may be alone on price. They make their own rockets, and are perfecting reusable components. Their infrastructure cost could end up being a fraction of the other players.

It's pretty brilliant. They already have a lion's share of the orbital launch market which is, if you think about it, limited. They are leveraging their scale and economy to create a whole new market.

So long as they actually deliver I kinda expect them to eat Amazon's and OneWeb's lunch.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:39   #13

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Not a fan of space junk. ESA already had to shift the orbit of one of its satellites to avoid hitting a starlink. We are inching closer and closer to being trapped in a shell of trash we can't escape.

As an Amatuer Astronomer, I am not a fan also. Will they be useful? Probably, to the % of folks that can afford them. But, at what cost?
tmcdonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 13:37   #14

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Competition always reduces price so it’s nice to see a few companies in the game. If a small boat sailor can access the latest weather info and access the web, small cruisers will have an increased factor of safety. Component costs and current draw will determine suitability.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 23:05   #15

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

TcMcD, history of mankind, huh? Before animals were domesticated...less methane, electricity and its attendant fossil fuels and infrastructure, motorized machines and all the pollution, nuclear fission/fusion and such... the list is endless.

And the curve of technology is accelerating. It is way beyond linear. The movie Terminator may actually be a prophetic declaration with A.I. Life as you and I knew it 50 years ago may seem like caveman stuff to kids 40 years from now. Hang in there baby. Smile.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing