Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2017, 09:35   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quality Screwdrivers

Time to replenish my screwdriver bag. No tool gets used, worn out, or lost as much as these.

In the past, I used Snap-On, but they are hard to get in Europe and ridiculously expensive (compared to what they cost in the U.S.). More recently I have been using Lux Tools Prof+ which I have liked, but I can't seem to find them here in the U.K.

Any other recommendations? The tip of a screwdriver is subject to extreme wear, so really needs to be made of quality material.

What about Wera? Facom?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 09:48   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Quality Screwdrivers

Bahco. Just make sure yours are made in Sweden. About 15 freedom tokens a unit. Well worth the steep price.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 10:01   #3

I have some SK Tools ones I like, this style (called Cushion Grip) :

https://www.jbtoolsales.com/sk-hand-...rewdriver-set/

I have some older SK tools ones which are re-badged Facom (Blue handles) which I don't like as much.
Old 30-04-2017, 16:08   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

This,
Best screwdriver there is bar none. I have two. I have several others of course, long shorties etc., but if it will fit, I always use these.
Bits are of course replaceable and warrantied forever.
https://store.snapon.com/Standard-Ha...--P634146.aspx
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 16:38   #5

Boat: Bristol 41.1

These Wera stainless steel for me. No more rusting tools and the grips are great:

Wera 347903 Stainless Steel Slotted/Phillips/Square Screwdriver Set

https://www.kctoolco.com/wera-347903...rewdriver-set/
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 16:44   #6

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

https://www.wiha.com/

I like their precision screwdrivers and the ones where the tang comes through the handle to a cap that is designed for abuse.

https://www.wihatools.com/screwdrive...-non-slip-grip

Older US made Proto are great too.

ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROTO-Screwd...YAAOSwCQZZBK4m
dfelsent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 17:02   #7

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I'm partial to Klein screwdrivers. I love the grip. Plus they are very tough and reliable (every electrition I've know only uses Klein).

Ace does a nice knock off version thats about %25 off.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 17:58   #8

It's not the screw drivers... it's the screws...
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 20:32   #9

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

I have Wihas for the shop, for work and for the boat. They will rust so I keep them wrapped up in a wd40 rag. I like the long handled version for getting hose clamps that are hard to reach. Good price point too they have sales often online
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 20:54   #10

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

I also highly reccomended KLEIN tools. They stand up to commercial use every day.
Old 30-04-2017, 21:10   #11

Boat: J/42

Odd... I don't keep my best tools on the boat. I bought a cheap Chinese tool set for the boat and have been replacing items one-by-one as they break. Or adding them as they are found to be needed. Bad move, maybe.

But now my excuse is that maybe I'll be retiring soon and moving on to the boat, so why buy duplicates when I can soon pick the best bits from the workshop?

I also have the feeling that I should go through the boat from stem to stern and reduce the fasteners to a standard set that matches both the tools and my spare inventory.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 22:22   #12

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

On any that are medium sized or larger, get ones that have square shafts. That way when you run into a fastener that’s really, really stuck, you can use a wrench to turn the screwdriver, while you use your other hand (& body) to press down as hard as you can on the top of the screwdriver’s handle.It’s sometimes the only technique that works with some frozen screws & bolts.

And as with most things steel, you can tell the quality of the metal, & it' heat treatment by tactile feel. That & by sound, if you've aa tuned ear. AKA listening to the harmonics in the metal when it's struck, or tapped against something hard.
Also, if those tests are tough for you, get a pocket magnifier, & use it to inspect the grain structure of the metal. And one that's more of a microscope than a magnifying glass is what you're after, much akin to the ones Brion Toss recommends. Though you don't need as much magnification as he uses.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:15   #13

Boat: Valiant 40

I also keep mostly cheap tools on the boat, considering them largely disposable. Salt air and quality tool steel are not good friends, not to mention that gravity when working near the gunwale always seems suspiciously stronger than anywhere else.

Just a caution against stainless steel tools. They suck. Too soft, propensity to chip, bend, wear. I'd rather have rust spotted carbon steel tools in my bag than shiny stainless ones when it comes to getting something done properly and without damage to fasteners.

I've actually had good luck with Lowes better line of Kobalt hand tools for every day live-on-the boat tools.

Since I live on the boat, I keep more tools on it than most folks, and Snap-on stuff gets good care with oil or WD40 and protective wrapping when not in use. Beyond their expense, they're just so well made it's a crime to let them rust.

I'm with Unciv; screwdrivers that are not square or don't have a hex at the top of the shaft are only half useful, even the #1's and 2's.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:26   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Thanks for all the good input, which is much appreciated!

In the end I chose Wera ones, with laser cut tips. I have a mix of Phillips and Pozi screws on board, which doubles the number of cross-head screwdrivers I have to have on board . If the EU actually did any useful standardization, it would have long ago banned Phillips screws in favor of Pozi ones

Moody, to their credit, used only Pozi screws when they built my boat. But the same doesn't go for all of the makers of all of the gear on board

I also chose KS Tools Allen wrenches, these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ksallen.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	146597

Bloody expensive, but I hope worth it. I am hard on Allen wrenches. Apparently good T-handle ones hardly last a year in the sizes I use most often (3mm and 4mm).

I will buy some Snap On screwdrivers next time I'm in the States. I used to have a lot of Snap On tools (my Father had a fetish for them), and I miss them. Might be worth bringing back some Snap On ratchets, too -- best I've ever used by far.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:39   #15
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
This,
Best screwdriver there is bar none. I have two. I have several others of course, long shorties etc., but if it will fit, I always use these.
Bits are of course replaceable and warrantied forever.
https://store.snapon.com/Standard-Ha...--P634146.aspx
THIS ONE!

Sure there are plenty of good screwdrivers, even some excellent ones but this IS the best all round screwdriver bar none.

My work is 30+ years old and gets used everyday working day, currently on its second ratchet mechanism (warranty replacement after about 20 years) and will outlive me. Everyone of my work colleagues use them daily.

I also have a "home" work and a "boat" one but as they do not see the same degree of service, they will outlast both the home and the boat, even without warranty replacement parts!!!

I probably have a dozen or more "speciality" drivers but they are only used very occasionally.

Of course no screwdriver can do everything but as a64pilot suggests, if it fits, this is the first driver to grab (and the ratchet mechanism is a dream).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew