Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2017, 05:54   #16

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Quality Screwdrivers

Yes, ratcheting screwdrivers are definitely handy. I even have a couple which operate at mutiple angles, in addition to the straight shaft mode. Thus making it that much easier to adjust fasteners in hard to reach places.

Speaking of which, it's worth getting something similar for your nut drivers. For when a socket wrench is just too big, but you have to reach nuts & bolts that are located in tough to reach places. And of course, multiple, various length extension bits rock! Including for one's ratchets.

Has anyone tried the plasticizing dips out there, which allow you to "rubber" coat all but the working tip/jaws of a tool? Thus making them easier on hands, & more corrosion resistant (in theory).
You simply dip the tool in them, & allow the plastic/rubber to harden. Or so the commercials say. And I'm curious as to how well the stuff works???

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 14:07   #17

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

I still use my old Snap On drivers. After 30 plus years the only one I use for setting valve lash. Heavy blade, short shank with good gripping handle. Love it.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 17:28   #18

Boat: Kaufman 47

I have a couple Wega drill tips that were samples.. Had them for years, refitting boats and they still fit like a glove. I had no idea they made drivers too. Good to know.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 00:24   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Dockheaad, buy them in the US. Have a re-shipper send them to you *wherever*, around 15USD/per annum. And, next time, buy these: https://store.snapon.com/Standard-Ha...--P634146.aspx

Ann
Old 02-05-2017, 01:39   #20
cruiser

Beta tools from Italy. SnapOn quality without the ridiculous prices.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 15:41   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Quality Screwdrivers

Having worked most of my life as a Professional mechanic, I just cannot abide by cheap tools.
You would not expect a real musician to play a plastic guitar or violin would you?
A lot of my good tools are going to my Son, but a good many are coming with me, good quality tools are not that hard to keep rust free, however they do of course require a light coat of oil that they don't shoreside.
Good thin wrenches will fit where cheap ones will not, and are a whole lot less likely to slip and bust your knuckles or ruin fastener heads, and are very easy to clean as they are polished chrome, wipe clean with just a rag.
Cheap tools will damage you, and what your working on. Life is too short to have to work with cheap tools.
Proto is an excellent set of wrenches if Snap On is more than your willing to pay, and even Craftsman "Pro" set is good, they are thin and polished, sort of a copy of Snap On or Proto.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew