Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2017, 11:15   #1

Boat: Allied 39
Rerigging with Hayn Hi-mods

For those DIY folks out there we wanted to give a few thoughts on a recent rerig.

First we have an older boat (1969) that we have put new wires on it 3-4 times. Have always used Norseman's with 316 wire. A 10 year change has been our standard policy. Fairly easy to do by buying new cones.

Secondly we have been cruising about 17 years of the 30+ years we have owned the boat mostly in the tropics.

Since Norseman is no longer produced and we are NOT in the US we decided to use Hayn Hi-mods. Bringing all the fittings back from a recent trip to the states and buying most of the wire here in Tahiti. Luckily customs just waved us thru. We replaced the wire with the mast in the boat.

We found the Hayn hi-mod fittings much easier to assemble than the Norsemans and Sta-locks. Plus they are almost fool proof by using a bronze star like ring that the wires fit into. They are very easy to assemble requiring only 2 spanners.

We have no financial interest in Hayn. Just a satisfied customer.

Chuck
Jacaranda
Tahiti
Old 04-03-2017, 12:35   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Rerigging with Hayn Hi-mods

Good one, Chuck! As a fellow Norseman orphan, we will likely need to do the same one day, and will certainly consider the Hayne fittings. Hopefully some entrepreneur will start turning out cones for the aftermarket soon. There have been several hints that it was about to happen, but no cones in sight yet! We've got a couple of years of grace, but are watching the market carefully.

Hi to Linda...

Jim
Old 04-03-2017, 13:30   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Have seen a line of Norseman like terminals from Lewmar. Anyone know if the cones are compatible with the Norseman Terminals???

Talked with a couple who rerigged their boat in CA and sailed to HI. They were really happy with the Hayn's terminals, especially the ease of installation, and they apparently worked fine as they made it to Kona.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 14:17   #4

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I am a Hayn fan too. We found them easy to use and they are very well made.
Old 04-03-2017, 14:39   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Hi Mod is the brand name for Petersen stainless in the UK and I have just fitted a boat with these.. Very nice and supposed to be re-usable cones !
Old 04-03-2017, 15:07   #6

Boat: Bristol 29.9

We had our rigging replaced this winter with Hi-Mods. Normally we are DIY people but we had too much going on this winter so we hired a rigger. He invited us to his shop and let us practice with an extra terminal. The ring made placing the strands correctly incredibly easy.

Now that we have all of the measurements and part numbers, we won't hesitate to do it ourselves when we need to rerig in the future.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:10   #7

Boat: sceptre 41

thank you chouliha
ive been looking into rerigging also and was looking for an alternative to the norseman. i will have a serious look at these.
thanks again
Shala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:16   #8
Marine Service Provider

I like em too!
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:28   #9

I re-rigged with Hi Mod 5 years ago. I cut a couple too long and had to take them apart, cut the stay and reassemble. Pretty easy all around but I had nothing to compare to as this is the only re-rigging I've ever done by myself.
Kelsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:35   #10

Boat: Bristol 29

Did any of you Hi-Mod users fill the fittings, and if so, with what?

I did my shrouds a few years ago and assembled them dry. Since then I've read that they should be filled with silicone goop, and told that they shouldn't be; the latest is that they should be filled with pine tar.

I plan to take them apart for inspection this Spring, so this is the time to do something, or not.

Thanks to all who post!
CaptainGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGrey View Post
Did any of you Hi-Mod users fill the fittings, and if so, with what?

I did my shrouds a few years ago and assembled them dry. Since then I've read that they should be filled with silicone goop, and told that they shouldn't be; the latest is that they should be filled with pine tar.

I plan to take them apart for inspection this Spring, so this is the time to do something, or not.

Thanks to all who post!
Actually Hayn do not recommend adding any silicone or other sealers so it appears you did everything right.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:14   #12

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

I have brand X Norseman style fittings on my Taiwanese ketch and when I re rigged I couldn't find replacement cones. So I re used the cones. For the life of me I cannot understand why they need to be replaced. Even if they broke in half they would still perform their function. Curious what you all think
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:55   #13

Boat: Bristol 29

The Hi-Mods on my Bristol 27 are now @3 years old. I'll post my observations when I take them apart - as soon as the weather warms a bit!
CaptainGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:45   #14

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Had Moontide re-rigged with the Hayn fittings. The rigger put silicon in but when I was talking with one of their engineers at the Annapolis boat show last October he said put nothing in. Guess is is easier for water to migrate with nothing there. Also said that if you pull them apart and there are any issues then you can just cut the end of the wire, re-use the ring and put a toggle in to make up for the shorter length.

Very happy with them. One problem is that Moontide is a cat and has large rigging. Not many places do swagging that large. Had to do a swage fitting on the seagull striker (9/16" I think) and it was something like $8-900 just for that (including 20 odd feet of wire and a turnbuckle).

More expensive than swages the first time, but reusable and probably less issues than swages. Another satisfied customer.

Bill Lilly
Moontide
Currently in St Maarten
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:41   #15

Boat: '66 Bristol 39

Thanks for getting this thread started and the following responses. I plan on rerigging this spring also, last year at a boat flea market a guy was trying ro sell me the norseman fitting off a demod rig, Im glad I didnt buy them then. Caution won the day, I didnt buy them because I felt I needed to do more research on the options. Thanks again for this heads up and suggestions.
rpjn59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hi-mod, rerigging, rigging