Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2017, 14:36   #1

Boat: Hobie 16; Mastercraft prostar 205
Annapolis Sailboat show ?

My Wife and are have booked our trip to the Annapolis show for this October.

We would like to tour several Monos and Cats in the 38 to 45 foot range.
Not planning to purchase at the show, just trying to figure out our set of compromises.

Since this will be our first time at one of these boat shows I am wondering if we need ( or if it's best) to schedule appointments to tour the boats we're most interested in seeing?

Thanks in advance. Greg
Cdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 15:27   #2

Boat: L42
Re: Annapolis Sailboat show ?

No Need for appointments, but I would HIGHLY suggest going on Thursday (Costs a little more) or wait till Monday. Friday and Sunday would be second choice and avoid Saturday.

If you have a Vendor in mind they may be able to get you free passes. Great show.

Enjoy!
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 18:33   #3

Thanks Steve.
We do plan to attend Thursday and probably Friday. Working on the tickets but the party we are getting tickets from can't get me tickets for Thursday.

We plan to spend a day exploring DC etc. as well so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-08-2017, 19:08   #4

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdreamin View Post
Thanks Steve.
We do plan to attend Thursday and probably Friday. Working on the tickets but the party we are getting tickets from can't get me tickets for Thursday.

We plan to spend a day exploring DC etc. as well so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Don't miss the state house in Annapolis, where Washington turned in his commission. Huge moment in US history.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:20   #5

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Welcome to Annapolis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
I would HIGHLY suggest going on Thursday (Costs a little more) or wait till Monday. Friday and Sunday would be second choice and avoid Saturday.
My big issue with Thursday is that the crowd is rude and entitled. There are way too many people who think "I paid extra for my ticket to be a VIP so get out of my way." I recommend Friday. If you want to make a second trip make appointments on Friday for Monday. Otherwise, Monday the vendors are tired and thinking about packing up to go home. If you make an appointment, in person, on Friday they'll still be tired but they will take you seriously.

Saturday and Sunday are jammed with tire kickers and baby stroller pushers looking for a day out. The best thing that can happen is a nice sustained drizzle. The vendors know that if you show up in the rain you are serious. They have more time as well.

I miss the days when Thursday was industry day.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:53   #6

Location: On the boat; Bahamas November-May, East Coast of US May to November
Boat: Beneteau 49

Not sure whether you are already working with a broker or not, but if you aren't it might be a good idea to hook up with one in the Annapolis area - not only can they get you tickets for Thursday (my experience, anyway) but they can also probably help you skip some of the lines. The lines to get on boats is usually shortest at the very beginning of the day, so go to the boats first thing. Also, I don't think the lines will be long for the size of boat you are looking at (maybe for the cats) so I don't think you will have much of a wait - it's the huge ones that get the most draw. Also, there is usually a used broker show across the bridge, which is always good to check out. I agree that you should skip Saturday - it's usually pretty crazy. If you need a name of a good broker in Annapolis, send me a message at cc29firsttoday@aol.com.
Nickodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:45   #7
HIP

Thanks for posting this. We will be there too to look at a boat that will accommodate a crew of seven. This is our first show.
Does anyone have an opinion on the free seminars? Are they worth the time?
HIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:01   #8

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIP View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on the free seminars? Are they worth the time?
The seminars have definitely changed over the years. The free seminars aren't even listed yet. Daily Free Seminars on Sailing | Annapolis Boat Shows .
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:30   #9

Boat: Moody 54

Welcome to Annapolis!
We live here on our boat, and the show is a great event. �� I Agree that Friday is great, and I also have a friend here who helped us buy our last two boats.
I suggest you really look at how the show is laid out on the map- boats, vendors, and classes- to understand how to spend your time. The other boats in the cove behind the church are also worth the short walk.
As for the classes, look at the free seminars and the Cruisers University options. I have been to fantastic free seminars. Last year, I also was able to create a one day schedule in Cruisers University full of my first choice classes that were exceptionally delivered, but i paid a small fortune to attend.
Be sure to have a draft beer at Davis' Pub!!!
MamaKube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:25   #10

"Be sure to have a draft beer at Davis' Pub!!!"
Thanks Mamakube That kind of advice I will definitely take.
Old 12-08-2017, 21:09   #11
Marine Service Provider

Greg, Josh here with David Walters Yachts. I'd sent you a PM. Be glad to chat with you over at brokerage cove and hope you'll join us Saturday night for our BBQ!
jjmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 20:18   #12

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Hi can someone advise me about parking situation at the show? i will be entering the area with 16 feet truck and a van being towed on a car dolly. is it really a busy, tight area? if its going to be too stresfull, i ll pass. Otherwise i like to spend a day while driving through. Thanks
littledevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 20:50   #13

Boat: Hylas 49

Park at the Navy stadium and take the shuttle
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 20:55   #14

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
Park at the Navy stadium and take the shuttle
Thank you.is navy stadium a designated parking for the show?
littledevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 20:59   #15

The streets near the show are narrow and windy. You won't want to drive there, and you won't find anywhere to park.

There is parking at the Naval Academy's stadium (511 Taylor Avenue, Annapolis MD 21401 – Gate 5) with a free shuttle to and from the show. The stadium has lots & lots of space for parking. It's $10 for cars - - dunno if your rig will require a surcharge.
Widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, boat, boat show, sail, sailboat