Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2007, 21:52   #1

Annapolis SailBoat show 2007

Hi,

Annapolis Sailboat Show 2007

Any suggestions or words of advice from folks who've been there? My wife and I are flying in from he west coast and only attended the Strictly Sail show at Jack London Square in Oakland previously. We were able to see everything in less than an afternoon, but is the Annapolis show much bigger? We were thinking of going on Sunday and Monday, but if the show can be carefully walked in one day then maybe we would just go on Monday and miss some of the crowds.

Regards,
Tom
Redbull addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:27   #2

Boat: Lagoon 37
it is a very large show, but it all depends on what you are looking for. If you are walking the boats and listening to the sales pitches, or stopping at all the booths and looking at stuff, it will take a couple of days. If you are just walking, looking and not touching , you could do it in a long day!
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:28   #3

Boat: Jeanneau, SO 42.1 "Far Niente"
Just Dreaming is spot on. Takes us 2 -3 days and we look at very few boats.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:06   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
The first VIP day is the best day. The tickets cost a lot more but far fewer people. Sat and Sunday can be huge crowds. It will depend on thw weather. If you get there early enough to wait for the gate to open you'll get a few hours of reasoanbale access to places you may have a high priority seeing. Before lunch time the crowds will be pretty thick. So maybe go early Sunday and scout the things you may want more time with for the next day. The Monday crowd will be less but not a lot less. This is a big show and folks come a long way to see it.

It is set up well you drive to a large area for parking then ake a bus into town and are dropped off at the gate. Since it's in the hrbaor you have access to all the shops, pubs, and assorted buildings adjacent to the show. There are other things going on as well SSCA will have an all day event of talks and other features going on as well as a lot of vendors and boats. We prefer to do booths in the morning then do baots in the afternoon.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:05   #5

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Get a hotel reservation NOW. It is already late enough that you may have trouble. Get a hotel with a shuttle to the show, parking in Annapolis is a nightmare.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:20   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
When we used to go we always stayed in Baltimore where there's a lot more hotel rooms and drove to the shuttle parking spots in the outskirts of Annapolis and took the shuttle in. A lot easier than trying to book a place in Annapolis.
Old 09-09-2007, 20:45   #7

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
plan accordingly, it's a big show and you can have a hard time trying to find what you want. We're looking at different marine refrigeration units and trying to see if frigaboat is worth literally twice the money of a isotherm. Anyway, go to this site, find out where the exibits are that you are interested in and plan your way around in advance. Otherwise you'll just be going in circles along all of the tents.

United States Sailboat Show Products
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 15:57   #8

Boat: Hunter, 335- Destiny II
Ahoy Tom,

Wait, you're going to the Annapolis show from Sunny California? Last year we went to Annapolis and regretted it. If you haven't booked a room, you're late already. The Annapolis show has out grown the area plus lack of motels, lack of parking, terrible traffic and the worst weather... forget it (I'm going to Florida! Booked my room as soon as I got back from Annapolis last year) but it is the largest Sailboat show. On most boat shows, Friday is OK for looking at the boats, Saturday and Sunday hit the tents 'cause herds of people with (wild) kids will be there Saturday and Sunday. I've gone back to look at a boat again on Saturday and couldn't get on (or there was 12 pair of shoes already on the dock).

**What Scoonerdog and Sunspot said is Coooorect!

(Might be my first post here but Hello Denny and Diane. Also Sunspot Baby; New Bern... The Home of Pepsi Cola, great area.)

Come on down to St. Petersburg the first of November, less boats but more fun. (In my opinion.)

Mike
MCathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 19:46   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
We were there last year too. It was wet, it was stormy. If you went on VIP day you had a great show. This normally is a great time of the year to come to the show. being from Virginia it pains me to talk up Maryland but it is a special show as Miami isn't held all in one place. if you drive you just use the special parking / shuttle and forget about it. I don't like parking in Annapolis even where there isn't a show. It is a cool boating town though. You just need to watch out for politicians. The capital is very close and they have a habit of begging for money.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 20:22   #10

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Annapolis - just OK

Newport is a much better show a month earlier. I have gone to the Annapolis show for the past six years and will go again this year, but only after Newport. Most of my purchases are at the Newport show. We generally attend the Annapolis show for the uniqueness of the city.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2007, 15:44   #11

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Revised opinion!

The wife and I went to the Newport Sailboat show on Friday. What a DUD. Of the six items I was interested in, only two were on display. There were no stoves, no wind generators, and only a couple of watermakers. What a disappointment. I hope the Annapolis show is better or I will have to make the journey to Miami in February. That would be a shame.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 06:18   #12

Boat: Gulfstar 36 Antares
Everything mentioned so far is correct. There are more vendors at Annapolis than the others. If you want gear it is the show. The number of boats has dropped over the years and seems full of Catamarans these days. There is a West Marine on Forest Drive that runs a shuttle if you do not like the Navy Stadium . Every day will be crowded. You just have to put up with it. Go early if you have a specific boat to see.

Two days is a good idea. Hotels are hopless at this point. Many of us rent our houses out and stay on the boat for a few days. If you are comming all the way from the Left Coast you should stay a few days. DC is 40 miles and has great sight seeing. Air & Space, Smithonian etc. Just don't visit congress without your hip waders!
Old 17-09-2007, 06:23   #13

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I see from the website U.S. Sailboat and Powerboat Shows, Bay Bridge Boat Show, Yacht Show at National Harbor, Maryland, Washington, D.C. that there will be a couple different types of wind generators there.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 11:59   #14

Boat: Endeavour 40CC
My son and I will go Thursday and Friday. Do they have a two day pass or do I need to buy tickets each day ?? Also we are driving in from Virginia and I wanted to know if there will be plenty of easy to see signs directing me to parking ??
vonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 11:43   #15

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Vonotto, If comming in from Rt 50 (DC) there are signs directing you to the Navy/Marine Corps Stadium for parking. < 2mi bus ride to show. I am not sure about 2 day tickets. Check the show site.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, boat show