Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2018, 11:20   #1

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 MkII
Bilge Paint Question

Anyone know if either a Pre-cat lacquer catalyst or West System epoxy hardener will accelerate Interlux Bilge enamel? I've heard this enamel takes forever to fully cure and am wondering in adding either of these would accelerate the process.
CptCrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 12:38   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Bilge Paint Question

Adding catalyst to a non-catalized paint will probably do nothing other than make a mess. Bilgecote does take a while to dry, so if you're in a hurry you could use Awlgrip 545 primer. This is an epoxy primer, and is perfectly suitable for wet areas, and will cure overnight.
Old 24-12-2018, 13:04   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Like Benz said....adding catalyst to a one part paint will just make a mess.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 13:42   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I’ve used it several times and it always dried overnight. Your informant must have air temp or humidity issues.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 18:54   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
I’ve used it several times and it always dried overnight. Your informant must have air temp or humidity issues.
Yes, that is my issue. I was hoping to get this done over the next week, then get the motor back in and have it ready for sale early January. But the weather forecast has highs in the 40's and lows between 31 and 38. I keep her in a non-powered RV parking lot, and even adding a heater with my 1kW generator won't be enough.

I thought that adding some kind of catalyst would help by providing a little heat to the set. There is an enhancer, but the literature states the same heat, humidity and drying times.

Not sure if I mentioned, ...we are selling our Trophy 2459 Offshore and moving up to a blue water sailboat. The Trophy just had its 30th birthday, and it really needed doing. I just put the canvas on it for the first time, so while it has rained every day of the past 2 weeks (you asked about humidity?), I will be repainting under cover. Now I need to figure out how I can get this done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BonDC Covered.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	182738  
Old 24-12-2018, 19:36   #6

Boat: Kaufman 47

Get a heater to warm the area under the cover up and a fan to circulate the warm air. If it's humid, also get a dehumidifier as well. You should be able to get a couple of coats on by next week like you're wanting.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 22:20   #7

Boat: Cape George 38 ext, Curious George

I been thinking about using pigmented epoxy. White or grey for the bilge and lockers on my project. Any reason not to do this?
You could possibly get two coats on in a day, without having to sand. I think the fast harder works down to 40F. But the warmer the better.
bhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 13:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhenry View Post
I been thinking about using pigmented epoxy. White or grey for the bilge and lockers on my project. Any reason not to do this?
You could possibly get two coats on in a day, without having to sand. I think the fast harder works down to 40F. But the warmer the better.
Sure you could do that and it would work great. It's just more expensive than something like Bilgekote. But if you have epoxy laying around and pigment/color solids for epoxy then go for it.
Old 25-12-2018, 13:54   #9

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Urethane hardener and catalyst for alkyd enamel like used for automotive paint. I have a friend who uses it in Rustoleum black for his hot rods.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 14:19   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
Get a heater to warm the area under the cover up and a fan to circulate the warm air. If it's humid, also get a dehumidifier as well. You should be able to get a couple of coats on by next week like you're wanting.
Let's see. A 1500W heater won't run on my 1kW generator, nor will a fan. That means running a 600' extension cord through my neighborhood, crossing the front of 11 homes with front driveways. It will need to handle a 1500W heater, a 1000W fan, and a 1200W dehumidifier, ....3700W total, or just over 30A. To get at least 110V at to the boat, I will need a 6ga 3/6 line. Cost? $1350 ....to paint a bilge?

With 3 homes adjacent to the RV parking lot, renting a generator isn't an option, nor do I have the desire to spend money on renting a heated garage.

Forecast shows 10 days of below 45F, with a few nights of freezing temperatures.

At this point, I'm thinking about scrubbing the bilge to get the motor back in just to get it done and on the market. I had to pull the motor because of the oil leak, not thinking the weather would be an issue.
Old 25-12-2018, 15:25   #11

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCrunchie View Post
Let's see. A 1500W heater won't run on my 1kW generator, nor will a fan. That means running a 600' extension cord through my neighborhood, crossing the front of 11 homes with front driveways. It will need to handle a 1500W heater, a 1000W fan, and a 1200W dehumidifier, ....3700W total, or just over 30A. To get at least 110V at to the boat, I will need a 6ga 3/6 line. Cost? $1350 ....to paint a bilge?

With 3 homes adjacent to the RV parking lot, renting a generator isn't an option, nor do I have the desire to spend money on renting a heated garage.

Forecast shows 10 days of below 45F, with a few nights of freezing temperatures.

At this point, I'm thinking about scrubbing the bilge to get the motor back in just to get it done and on the market. I had to pull the motor because of the oil leak, not thinking the weather would be an issue.
Personally I would be more interested in a boat that was obviously clean and well maintained that one that had a new coat of paint through the bilge, hiding what?
Just my humble opinion.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 15:45   #12

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

It's on a trailer, move it to your driveway.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 18:10   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Personally I would be more interested in a boat that was obviously clean and well maintained that one that had a new coat of paint through the bilge, hiding what?
Just my humble opinion.
You make a very good point, sir. That may be the motivation I need to do nothing. Would certainly solve the issue.
Old 25-12-2018, 18:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCrunchie View Post

The boat is on a trailer, move it to your house, heat it, paint it, then move it back. Is that against homeowner association rules? Why would all that extension cord business (and a 1000w fan? Really? A 100w 20" box fan won't work?) come to mind for a boat on a trailer? Move it to a buddy's house for two days or the mechanics shop or any number of other possible options besides 600' of extension cord. And you don't need a 1000w dehumidifier, you just need something to bring the enclosed area to a relative humidity of the paint products your using. One for a single room is pulls less than a 100w.
Old 25-12-2018, 18:18   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
It's on a trailer, move it to your driveway.
[emoji106]

Tags
bilge, paint