Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2018, 16:35   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51
Anyone Heard of Using Epoxy Paint for This?

ok so i am replacing the windows in the salon- they had a bunch of stress cracks from where the PO had tried to fix leaks by tightening the metal trim instead of rebedding the panes so i have routered out the cracks completely and then filled with thickened epoxy- was way easier than i thought it would be so far. i was getting ready to sand and try my hand at gelcoat which i have never done. My dockmate began talking to me and he said that when he had a similar project he sanded then covered with white epoxy spray paint ( several light coats) and called it done-- i looked at his and it blended quite well but it has only been a few months since he did it-- thought on this? will it work? will it last? will it create more problems down the road? it would certainly be faster and would be working with something that i am familiar with. Could the easy way actually work?
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 16:54   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Anyone Heard of Using Epoxy Paint for This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
ok so i am replacing the windows in the salon- they had a bunch of stress cracks from where the PO had tried to fix leaks by tightening the metal trim instead of rebedding the panes so i have routered out the cracks completely and then filled with thickened epoxy- was way easier than i thought it would be so far. i was getting ready to sand and try my hand at gelcoat which i have never done. My dockmate began talking to me and he said that when he had a similar project he sanded then covered with white epoxy spray paint ( several light coats) and called it done-- i looked at his and it blended quite well but it has only been a few months since he did it-- thought on this? will it work? will it last? will it create more problems down the road? it would certainly be faster and would be working with something that i am familiar with. Could the easy way actually work?
The devil is in the detail.

If he was using an off the shelf spray can, then the paint was probably an "epoxy modified enamel" i.e. a single pack paint often used for say metal objects around the house. If so, this is an outdoor (external) gloss enamel and would hold up quite well in you application. IME, you will get about 5 years in a marine environment before it needs redoing - but it does depend the UV in your area. It easy to re-coat.

However if you are talking about a "proper epoxy" i.e. two pack - usually a primer or a high build undercoat, then this is not suitable unless it is top coated to prevent UV breakdown. True epoxies are very UV sensitive.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 16:58   #3

This sort of product is very suitable (in a spray can) and while you probably don't get it in your area, there will be similar products.

Killrust Epoxy Gloss Enamel Paint
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 26-12-2018, 16:58   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

No good. Epoxy yellows and becomes weak when exposed to UVs. You definitely don't want to do this without special UV protection.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 17:06   #5

^^ unless the product is really a single pack epoxy modified enamel - as posted above. This is very suitable as a topcoat on fibreglass. This often referred (incorrectly) as an epoxy paint by tyros.

I agree a two pack epoxy is very unsuitable.
Old 26-12-2018, 17:51   #6

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
^^ unless the product is really a single pack epoxy modified enamel - as posted above. This is very suitable as a topcoat on fibreglass. This often referred (incorrectly) as an epoxy paint by tyros.

I agree a two pack epoxy is very unsuitable.
Definitely agreed. Need to find out exactly what he's using.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 19:18   #7
rbk

Boat: T37

Have to bring it up cause I haven’t heard of anyone’s experience with it but this is suppose for be a true gel coat for patch repair
Dolphinite | Innovative Boat Care & Repair Products
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 08:17   #8

Boat: Pearson 10M

Gel coat in a prevail sprayer, followed by a layer of PVA for curing.
Spray, cure, wash with water. All done!
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 08:20   #9

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

True epoxy paint, as others have indicated, will definitely discolor and chalk up with UV exposure. You must top coat it to prevent this. The advantage of epoxy is to seal against moisture intrusion. If you choose epoxy as a base coat, top coat with a polyurethane. I suspect you don't really need the epoxy base. If you choose not to try gelcoat, you can paint with polyurethane. Look at Interlux Brightsides if you can get in a color you want - it holds up to UV, can be purchased in quart size cans and is readily available for touch up if needed in the future.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 08:24   #10

Boat: Oday 25

Look up someone in your area that can do powder coating. Probably an auto customizing shop, and have the frames powder coated. Will outlast you.
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 08:35   #11

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsail View Post
Look up someone in your area that can do powder coating. Probably an auto customizing shop, and have the frames powder coated. Will outlast you.
but powder coating the frames won't help the fiberglass he is trying to repair.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epoxy, paint