Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2017, 23:29   #1

Hylas 44 or pearson 422

This is a hard choice any in site would help oh ya I like the norseman 447 so meny great boats thanks
Snyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 05:10   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Hylas 44 or pearson 422

We love our Hylas! Build quality is excellent, she loves wind.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 05:47   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

This is the part where you get asked “hard” questions. Like what’s your & your partner’s level(s) of sailing experience, strength & agility, what do you realistically want to do with the boat, what’s your boat budget, your boat tuneup budget (initial, post-purchase maintenance), & boat upgrades budget?How many will routinely be sailing on her for more than day sails, for what lengths of time, & how often?Are you shy about sharing a head with guests?How much do you love to sail, vs. using the boat as a means to get places to hang out on her?Plus 1,001+ other very, very important things to factor into the equation.And yes, you should have a list of exactly such things.Including up checks, & exclude said boat from the runnings criteria.

That said, of the 3, probably the Norseman, & the Hylas, in that order. But I’d have to see both live, as it’s been a looong time.Norseman seems to have a better hull shape, interior, & deck layout at 1st glance.
Then again, teak decks can truly suck... the money right out of your wallet with hurricane force.

I put together a DIY Sticky on boat selecting & purchasing, which has LOTS of self-education resources. It's a lot to read, & the links, plus the links within the links, geometrically more so. But if you ask & answer most of the questions you'll run across when reading said info tome, it'll be Mucho helpful if you want a boat for serious cruising & sailing. As opposed to a marina, & part-time weekend queen.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2206710
And in addition to the Pro's sited in the Sticky, you can hire Bob Perry to give you honest thoughts on most boats, including his. Along with what he reckons will best suit you.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 06:11   #4

Boat: Tartan 37

All are solid boats for most cruising and I don't have any idea what your cruising plans are. Could be anything from a liveaboard in a marina, to doing the Northwest Passage. Uncivilized is right, much needs to be asked. But the right boat will tell you in just 15 min onboard. Go look at them, stand behind the wheel, sit in the salon, lay on the bunks, get the feel of spending a lot of time on her. Build a scorecard with pluses and negs of each boat, things like: build quality, condition, ready to cruise, sailing performance, where cruising and fit (this includes drafts air & water), layouts.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 09:38   #5

worked on a hylas 47 for 2 years and what impressed me were the water tanks.
they were stainless but so thin they could qualify for foil. They were welded with mild steel rod and they actually had someone paint the welds with aluminium paint to hide the rust, of course it goes without saying they were built in so as to require surgery to get at them. great looking boat until you took a mirror to the underside of the cabin sole.
put together with rough cut lumber and ring nails.

draw your own conclusions
mk
mkriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 10:57   #6

Boat: RIVAL 41 Cutter

Both are good choices but the Hylass 44 in just about every way is without doubt the best choice. They don't get much better than this German Frers design. Strong, fast and seaworthy.
YARGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 12:09   #7

This boat will be are home we will be living like sea Gipsy's most likely heading south at first exploring no real set plans. As far as experience I took a few classes at j world in annapolis and sail a small dinghy when I have time 2 times a year everyone can start lol we worked so hard so meny hours sailing got pushed a side till now next spring I have to retire and everything is set to go then everyone is so helpful with there personal experience with boats I can only study on the Internet. My only saving grace is I can build or fix anything that is what I spent the last 30 years doing instead of sailing but that is going to change
Old 19-07-2017, 13:34   #8

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Between the Norseman and the Hylas, I would go with the Norseman, if they are in similar condition.

Classic Plastic: 10 Affordable Used Sailboats for Cruising - boats.com

Bob Perry designed the Norseman, and it was built by Ta Shing, which is a better builder than Queen Long (Hylas).

There is a lot of info on both boats on the internet. You need to see each in person and get personal with them.
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 21:57   #9

Now there is a hylas in Virginia norseman 447 in Maryland and a pearson 422 in rode island any info would be great norseman are always so much more money
Old 20-07-2017, 12:59   #10

Boat: Tayana 48 DS

We were jazzed on Hylas at first but one thing that put us off was keel bolts. We looked at a beautiful boat that had rusting and difficult to access keel bolts.

If you decide to go Hylas (or any bolt on keel model) definitely give these a good hard look.

Tags
Hylas, pearson