Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2018, 00:17   #226

Boat: Albin Vega 27
Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

The "go fund me" phenomenon. Have you considered that people give what they choose to give without any expectation of gratification. Nobody is twisting anybody's arm. Then you ask "there are much better causes to donate to", well quite frankly people are fatigued to death with helping with the same old causes and they want to support something in which they can live vicariously. By supporting this young couples dream, givers are also supporting a segment of their own dream. "The poor we shall always have" J.C. Dreamers on the other hand are exceptional. There are blessings and curses, blessings are for the givers, the curses are for those that misuse the things given.
Old 12-02-2018, 00:34   #227

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Seem to remember another Go Fund Me that only raised £5..
That pricked my curiousity, so I went back and had a look.

Someone gave then 10 bucks, making a total of $15, including the initial anonymous $5.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:39   #228

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyfish View Post
well quite frankly people are fatigued to death with helping with the same old causes and they want to support something in which they can live vicariously.
I agree, give $50 to this couple and you know what the money will be spent on. Give $50 to a major charity and it goes towards the CEOs 6 figure salary or the dinner dance after the AGM. The WWF having been tugging at the heart strings over Christmas with tv adverts about saving a snow leopard, then elephants followed by tigers, enough is enough.

If the money gets them back on their feet great stuff, oh and I bet they are oh so much more careful next time, as I was, though it only cost me a new propeller.

Pete
Old 12-02-2018, 01:41   #229
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
That pricked my curiousity, so I went back and had a look.

Someone gave then 10 bucks, making a total of $15, including the initial anonymous $5.
Yup.. Folks are not as dumb as some think.. they can spot a scam and recognise what is to them someone with a goal..
Even if they did stumble and fall at a hurdle..
They cleared a few hurdles to reach that sand bar.. which is more than many have managed in their marina queens with all the bells and whistles.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:46   #230

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I keep asking myself, "Ann, if you were in their shoes, would you rather go bankrupt, and back to work, or try the gofundme? and go back to work anyhow?" Going bankrupt is a process that will affect your credit for the term of your natural life. It would be particularly unattractive under the age of 30.

It seems inevitable, but if they can clear this liability quickly and easily, and get on with their lives--and the donors get to feel good for donating, is there any real harm here?

We tend to think in terms of taking responsibility for ourselves, and our actions as being our solitary responsibility, but in times when the nuclear family is struggling, perhaps turning to the larger family of humankind is a logical and humane thing to do...in both directions.

Ann
Old 12-02-2018, 04:01   #231

Boat: 1978 Bristol 29.9 #113

I think in the contentious photo their boat isn't beached, just floating in somewhat murky water.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:36   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
I see little difference between these two people & other couples ... both young & old, who lose everything in an apartment fire, & hear few if any residents had fire insurance. ... such news report is frequently followed by a statement that a fund has been set up to assist these people at a local bank where we can make personal donations to help ... Does this not happen where you live?

You're going to say: "but these two are the cause of their own problem, while those burned out of the apartment building are the result of someone else's actions." ... does that mean we should stipulate that no part of our donation should go to help the one that caused the fire?

Hi Bob,

I do see a bit of a difference. In case of a house fire, the people may have lost many years of earnings power with little financial flexibility to ever make up for the loss.

In this case we are talking about a couple with two potential wage earners and no kids willingly undertaking an INHERENTLY risky undertaking and asking for 10k to cover the cleanup costs. How long would it realistically take them to re-earn the 10k? Even with just the timeshare selling job and living sailor frugally it should be no more than 3-6 months. There are also plenty of means for them to get financing to cover this shortfall in the interim (assuming they don't have the worst credit score ever and even then there is friends and family financing).

So I think the difference is that they are really capable of taking care of this on their own (without life altering hardship) and chose to undertake a risky activity.

Everyone is entitled to spend their money how they want. So do as you wish, but make sure youre comfortable with it.

P.s. Someone mentioned bankruptcy. It doesn't matter but for the record a bankruptcy in the US would only affect your credit score for 7-10 yrs. Also, this couple has plenty of options for avoiding bankruptcy without gofundme.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:05   #233

Boat: Leopard 39

Whenever there is a wreck, fellow sailors pile on the skipper and cite reasons why it could NEVER happen to them. As an instrument-rated pilot, I saw the same human reaction to air crashes. In this case, I LIVE on Boca Ciega Bay. The powers-that-be, because of shoaling, created a one green-right-returning situation at the approach to John's Pass. I am disgusted with the attacks on this courageous couple, who threw the dice and took a chance that the "system" would hold true. Our political affinities are getting in the way of supporting the cruising community. Next time, it might be YOU that fellow mariners are condemning for a lack of experience and having the temerity to put your lives on the line to pursue the cruising dream. When I cast off the dock lines, I enter a new world of personal accountability and hopefully, human mercy. I help those in danger, and I expect the same when MY time comes. Query to all the schmexperts: Do you really think your time will never come? Why are we condemning this young couple over partisan, dollar issues? They didn't HAVE the means to be as prudent as all you critics. Was Columbus insured? And being good and sensitive leftists, do you really want to advance the proposition that only the wealthy should be cruising?
Old 12-02-2018, 06:46   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
Whenever there is a wreck, fellow sailors pile on the skipper and cite reasons why it could NEVER happen to them. As an instrument-rated pilot, I saw the same human reaction to air crashes. In this case, I LIVE on Boca Ciega Bay. The powers-that-be, because of shoaling, created a one green-right-returning situation at the approach to John's Pass. I am disgusted with the attacks on this courageous couple, who threw the dice and took a chance that the "system" would hold true. Our political affinities are getting in the way of supporting the cruising community. Next time, it might be YOU that fellow mariners are condemning for a lack of experience and having the temerity to put your lives on the line to pursue the cruising dream. When I cast off the dock lines, I enter a new world of personal accountability and hopefully, human mercy. I help those in danger, and I expect the same when MY time comes. Query to all the schmexperts: Do you really think your time will never come? Why are we condemning this young couple over partisan, dollar issues? They didn't HAVE the means to be as prudent as all you critics. Was Columbus insured? And being good and sensitive leftists, do you really want to advance the proposition that only the wealthy should be cruising?
I completely agree. People love to pile on because it is easy to judge and criticize people (even more so behind a desk or on a sofa). I have realized no matter the topic people love to sofa QB but in reality we ALL know they are no Tom Brady. TOP professional sailors make mistakes too (Team Vista in 2015) and we can all pile on here and dream to act like we would do better but the truth is we all make mistakes. Some just happen to get more unlucky than others. I have been told by many, "It is said that there are only three kinds of skippers, those who have run aground, those who will run aground, and those that have but won't admit it." This couple are unfortunately lost there keel while doing so.

This doesn't mean you can write off mistakes as o well moments. I hope they keep the dream and come out of this better sailors.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:49   #235

Baby Boomers trash talking Millenials. Nice. Look around at the world you created and leave behind as your legacy.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:28   #236

Boat: Orca 38

I sent them 50 bucks. Here's a YouTube video of them explaining what they were doing.
https://youtu.be/j7fLn5DItPw
Old 12-02-2018, 07:50   #237

Boat: Boatless at the moment

As a baby boomer I am very happy for them to get a new start. Proves that we still live in a good world.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:55   #238

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Justy sayin'...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27655238_10156040682592456_5787254347293309124_n.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	163982  
Old 12-02-2018, 09:07   #239
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
I am disgusted with the attacks on this courageous couple, who threw the dice and took a chance that the "system" would hold true.

They didn't HAVE the means to be as prudent as all you critics.

And being good and sensitive leftists, do you really want to advance the proposition that only the wealthy should be cruising?
Left home at 15 and worked night shift through high school, then worked full time and did university at night. Bought my first real estate (cottage lot) at 18. I have never owed anyone a single penny and would starve before I asked. Bought a trawler in 93' and went back to school to learn all I could before I cast off.

I have no interest in supporting the dreams (I call them fantasies) of those unwilling to educate themselves or pay their own way. if you choose to do so, terrific, I won't call you a "good and sensitive" anything.

If that makes me a "good and sensitive leftist" so be it, altho' I'm usually accused of being a rightist and I don't get that either. I just believe everyone but the handicapped should carry their own weight........
Old 12-02-2018, 09:33   #240

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Left home at 15 and worked night shift through high school, then worked full time and did university at night. Bought my first real estate (cottage lot) at 18. I have never owed anyone a single penny and would starve before I asked. Bought a trawler in 93' and went back to school to learn all I could before I cast off.

I have no interest in supporting the dreams (I call them fantasies) of those unwilling to educate themselves or pay their own way. if you choose to do so, terrific, I won't call you a "good and sensitive" anything.

If that makes me a "good and sensitive leftist" so be it, altho' I'm usually accused of being a rightist and I don't get that either. I just believe everyone but the handicapped should carry their own weight........ oh ! wait a minute maybe this couple is handicapped

__________________________________________________ ________________
That hysterical laughter you hear as you sail a way in your "new" boat ..... is the seller.
Your signature explains it all...
Closed Thread

Tags
capsize, keel, lost, size