Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2018, 16:04   #376

Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPZ View Post
This no insurance and "so others have to pay" is interesting.

If they had taken out insurance, paid a couple of premiums prior to sailing, how much would that had amounted to? Recovery costs how much? Who pays the difference?

"The insurance company of course". They do - with OTHER PEOPLES' MONEY. Insurance is a collective sharing of costs, and the insurance company takes a big slice from everyone.
If they intentionally sunk the boat as part of an insurance scam what you describe makes sense. Or if everyone sank their boat after 2 months of premiums were paid.

The issue is insurance is about averaging over a large sample. On average you go years between claims and the math works out just fine.

Or, the insurance company would have laughed at the idea of insuring these ill prepared kids...which would have been a benefit as it would have given them another clue how poorly they were prepared.
Old 14-02-2018, 16:07   #377

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Quote:

If they had taken out insurance, paid a couple of premiums prior to sailing, how much would that had amounted to? Recovery costs how much? Who pays the difference?

"The insurance company of course". They do - with OTHER PEOPLES' MONEY. Insurance is a collective sharing of costs, and the insurance company takes a big slice from everyone.

It is laughable that some are critical of a GFM appeal which is voluntary and non profit, versus insurance which is extortionately high, and makes a pile of money for a predatory industry.
The irony of similarity didn't escape me. I found it somewhat humorous even if just loosely associated. I treat uninsured boaters like I would any other navigational hazard and purchase insurance to cover that detail. After all, if you go to a 3rd world country, none of the local boaters and fisherman have insurance either and we do not denigrate and dump hate on them. Why would we do it here to our struggling young ones?
Old 14-02-2018, 16:08   #378

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:

It is laughable that some are critical of a GFM appeal which is voluntary and non profit, versus insurance which is extortionately high, and makes a pile of money for a predatory industry.
Well, lets consider what would have happened if they were successful in running that inlet in the fog and dark, and then T-boned a large and expensive yacht once inside, causing 100K$ in damages?

If they had made the small premium payment to the predatory insurance company they could have made reasonable restitution. As it is, do you think the crowd funding would cover the costs? I kinda doubt it myself...

I'm not a big supporter of the world of insurance, but for folks without assets third party liability insurance seems the responsible thing to do.

Jim
Old 14-02-2018, 16:10   #379

Quote:

Indeed, insurance takes its tax, but insurance companies tend to reduce the risks involved, e.g. ask for surveys, give discounts for trained skippers, etc.

Besides, a good policy covers things you can't possibly cover unless you're Mr.Goldfinger. I am wondering if they had a liability insurance? Else, what happens if they scratch a 10M$ boat?
Old 14-02-2018, 16:16   #380
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyfish View Post
That's hard to say because the US is not my home country and the "generation identity" didn't really apply to me. I'm from Canada where I am currently resisting draconian "Identity Politics" and "Political Correctness" spewed by our current Prime Minister. Age wise I would fall into GenX.
so you don't like Mr peoplekind either eh?
( granddad was from Saskatoon)
Old 14-02-2018, 16:26   #381

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Indeed, insurance takes its tax, but insurance companies tend to reduce the risks involved, e.g. ask for surveys, give discounts for trained skippers, etc.

Besides, a good policy covers things you can't possibly cover unless you're Mr.Goldfinger. I am wondering if they had a liability insurance? Else, what happens if they scratch a 10M$ boat?
I agree, insurance is a positive thing. Those who choose not to have insurance are simply riding on the coat tails of those of us who do (not against the law by the way). But as a rational, responsible adult who owns a 10M yacht, I would defiantly carry a policy for uninsured boater. Its just the cost of living with other people. The insurance companies don't seem to care about perusing the uninsured offending party, if they did maybe there would be an incentive to do things properly. Instead the insurance companies just write a check and forgets about it. No follow up at all. But then again, the insurance needs a little chaos to inspire people like me to buy the policy, which on average they benefit greatly.
Old 14-02-2018, 16:28   #382

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Please show me where they are begging for money or have a YT channel. Or did you just a$$ume they did? And before you get too smug Baby Boomer, Millennial kids have to face challenges you never dreamed of. Lets see if you can make it in their world. Doubt it.
“Lighten up Francis”. The boomer/ millennial thing was invented by journalistic people with a pension for the continued civil conflict to which they subscribe.
Not every boomer or millennial really fits into their box, so to speak.
I’m never considered myself a boomer , as I have to deal with the same issues and challenges that you millennials face today and more.
I’ll take your comment with a grain of salt.
I suggest you listen a bit closer what comes from the pie hole of the boomer.
I had a note on my frig for my snotty nosed teenagers, “Leave now while you still know everything “ That in answer to the remark aww you don’t know anything!
Now why such angst in your comments ?
Old 14-02-2018, 16:32   #383

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
so you don't like Mr peoplekind either eh?
( granddad was from Saskatoon)
We used to call him Zoolander after the movie character, elected on a haircut, now just embarrassing. Peoplekind, whats next Woman=Wopeople. Coming to this country too unfortunately.
Old 14-02-2018, 16:33   #384

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If they intentionally sunk the boat as part of an insurance scam what you describe makes sense. Or if everyone sank their boat after 2 months of premiums were paid.

The issue is insurance is about averaging over a large sample. On average you go years between claims and the math works out just fine.

Or, the insurance company would have laughed at the idea of insuring these ill prepared kids...which would have been a benefit as it would have given them another clue how poorly they were prepared.

No insurance company will pay out on a boat they will have surveyed on their own dime. They will condemn the boat as unseaworthy even after the fact of the sinking and they will even arbitrate and still not pay. The system is rigged in their favor.
Old 14-02-2018, 16:34   #385
RPZ

Yes, all who responded, if you have a big expensive boat get unisured coverage. But don't kid anyone, it's other peoples' money that pays for everything else too.
Old 14-02-2018, 16:45   #386
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
We used to call him Zoolander after the movie character, elected on a haircut, now just embarrassing. Peoplekind, whats next Woman=Wopeople. Coming to this country too unfortunately.
hopefully by the time it does I will just be another expat.
Old 14-02-2018, 16:52   #387

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
“Lighten up Francis”. The boomer/ millennial thing was invented by journalistic people with a pension for the continued civil conflict to which they subscribe.
Not every boomer or millennial really fits into their box, so to speak.
I’m never considered myself a boomer , as I have to deal with the same issues and challenges that you millennials face today and more.
I’ll take your comment with a grain of salt.
I suggest you listen a bit closer what comes from the pie hole of the boomer.
I had a note on my frig for my snotty nosed teenagers, “Leave now while you still know everything “ That in answer to the remark aww you don’t know anything!
Now why such angst in your comments ?
To answer your questions- Not a Millennial, but have kids who are. I agree the dissent is manufactured by the elites. Angst,,fair enough, defending this young couple from the unjustified mountains of hate being dropped on them by those who sit in air conditioned yachts. I especially defend how they are breaking free from the false paradigm they were brought up in and the challenges they face. You appear to be aware of their plight, but most of the older generation seem disconnected from young peoples reality and believe what methods and mores worked for them will work for young people today. Completely different circumstances.
Old 14-02-2018, 17:04   #388

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Most marinas, fuel docks and travel lift/slipways in Australia wont let you in unless you have insurance documents.
Almost guarantees everyone has it.
Almost.
Old 14-02-2018, 17:18   #389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Most marinas, fuel docks and travel lift/slipways in Australia wont let you in unless you have insurance documents.
Almost guarantees everyone has it.
Almost.
That's liability, not full coverage I suppose.
Old 14-02-2018, 17:33   #390
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Thats all one needs to be a responsible person.. carry your own load.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Closed Thread

Tags
capsize, keel, lost, size