Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2016, 09:34   #16

Re: Hookah Hose

AS a matter of fact the hose from Brownie coats at least three times More. The Trident Marine hose is rated at 175 PSI and is FDA approved.
Pdenton
pdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 09:39   #17
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenton View Post
AS a matter of fact the hose from Brownie coats at least three times More. The Trident Marine hose is rated at 175 PSI and is FDA approved.
Anything from Brownie's is overpriced. Shop at online SCUBA retailers or go to your local dive shop. But hey, if saving a couple of bucks is worth more than your lungs or life, knock yourself out.
fstbttms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 09:55   #18

Here's the deal. For what you would pay for a Brownie, you could buy a high-pressure, say, Bauer. If you want to go the SNUBA route you can fill a tank and run a long hose from a tank that placed in a floating tube.
The Brownie is horribly overpriced. But if you have a high-pressure compessor then you can go SNUBA OR SNUBA.
besides pulling around a hose is more of a pain in the butt than a tank on your back. not to mention the pain in the butt of storing the hose.
One thing America is very great at is marketing.
pdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 10:09   #19

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Quote:
Can a DYI hookah rig use nylon reinforced water hose.
pdenton
I do not know anything about hookah hose, but not knowing anything about the subject matter does not keep a person from commenting so if you must use nylon reinforced water hose, use a hose intended for potable water, white with a blue stripe on it, and more expensive than a regular hose. If you take a drink of water from a regular hose, the taste is really awful and I would not want to smell it or have it in my lungs.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 18:15   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Hookah Hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
What do you pay for the compressor you use?

I paid $144 for mine, I see they are now about $150+ or so, but it's 2.2 cu ft at 90 PSI. Mine cycles on and off when I'm cleaning the boat, so I am no where near overbreathing the thing. I did ruin one by leaving it tied to the base of the mast for two weeks and it got lots of salt spray. Outside looked fine, no rust, but it was seized solid.
https://www.amazon.com/California-Ai...Z3WKH1YF9H7Z5K
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 18:33   #21
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Chinese-built crap. You get what you pay for.
Old 23-12-2016, 20:07   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's replacement that I have not given a repeated salt water bath has been running well for a couple of years, filling tires and other house chores as well
Old 24-12-2016, 01:38   #23

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Chinese-built crap. You get what you pay for.
I used one of these chinese pumps for 7years, still going strong with the new owner of Freeform.

http://www.theaquariumshop.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=2512

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 01:40   #24
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I used one of these chinese pumps for 7years, still going strong with the new owner of Freeform.

Hailea ACO-007 Air compressor Low Voltage - The Aquarium Shop Australia
Bwhahahaha! What is it with Aussies and these ridiculous little aquarium aerators? Wouldn't be caught dead.
Old 24-12-2016, 01:49   #25

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Bwhahahaha! What is it with Aussies and these ridiculous little aquarium aerators? Wouldn't be caught dead.
Why? Lets see, enabled me to clean the bottom more times than I can count, cut ropes and plastic bags from my prop etc and worked everytime! Wouldnt go more than 4m (12 feet) but didn't need to go that deep. 12v, 9 amp and oiless, combined to quality air line, low pressure reg with a inline filter. Cant see the problem.

daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:11   #26

Normal High Pressure Hose for Tank on Deck?

Quote:
Here's the deal. For what you would pay for a Brownie, you could buy a high-pressure, say, Bauer. If you want to go the SNUBA route you can fill a tank and run a long hose from a tank that placed in a floating tube.
The Brownie is horribly overpriced. But if you have a high-pressure compessor then you can go SNUBA OR SNUBA.
besides pulling around a hose is more of a pain in the butt than a tank on your back. not to mention the pain in the butt of storing the hose.
One thing America is very great at is marketing.
Hi,

Was thinking of building my own hookah rig, but I am in the boonies of SE Asia' and lots of the products being discussed here and in other forums are not available, so I am thinking of sticking with a tank on deck and long hose. Would any sort of high pressure hose work? Here, they sell high pressure hose to be used with paint spraying compressors. Good enough?
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:15   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Rolls up into a much smaller space and is easier to store than vinyl hose too, plus a swivel is nice to have so the hose can unwrap with the reg in you mouth, and have a smaller last several feet section is nice to be way more flexible than vinyl too, and having a belt to attach the heavier hose to so that it's not trying to snatch the reg out of you mouth is nice as well.
You get all of this from store bought one, yes you can replicate it, if you know to and by the time you do, maybe your not saving yourself a whole lot of money?
Hi A64

Pardon my ignorance, but for a newbie like me, it's not clear from your post which type of hose you are referring to. The way the thread looks on the threaded view, you are responding to the original poster, which means you think the regular, reinforced hose is good enough. Can you clarify?

Thanks,

G2L
Old 01-01-2017, 08:28   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hookah Hose

I bought a hose meant to be a Hooka hose, was sold as a Hooka hose.
I don't know what the differences are in breathing hose and regular hose anymore than I know what food grade silicone grease is, but I don't want to take a chance and maybe find out.
Plus there are other reasons, like the belt to hold the hose to your body, the swivel to keep the hose from kinking up and the four feet or so of thinner more flexible hose at the end to hook your reg to, and of course the correct connections on the hose to connect to a regulator etc.
It was a little more I am sure, but when it came in the mail, I had everything I needed and felt sure it was safe to breathe through, and that is worth something.
I am sure I could have gone to my dive shop and ordered 60' of second stage hose and put something together myself, but it would have been a lot of hassle and may not have saved much either.

I believe I ordered this one
http://www.airlinebyjsink.com/the-ho...uba-hoses.aspx
Old 01-01-2017, 08:37   #29

As you're posts here and on the scubaboard indicate, you have a lot of experience with such stuff, so, I am hoping you can answer this question. What would the PSI pressure be, coming out of the first stage of my late 1970s Aquarius regulator?

Still works OK with scuba and plan to use it with a tank on deck and hose attached in order to clean my boat's hull.

Thanks,

G2L
Old 01-01-2017, 08:49   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Why? Lets see, enabled me to clean the bottom more times than I can count, cut ropes and plastic bags from my prop etc and worked everytime! Wouldnt go more than 4m (12 feet) but didn't need to go that deep. 12v, 9 amp and oiless, combined to quality air line, low pressure reg with a inline filter. Cant see the problem.

Hi Dale,

If this pump is actually Chinese made (as fstbttms says), I might be able to find one here in SE Asia. You say that the pump is 12 volt? How do you connect it to your boat's 12 volt system?

Regards,

G2L