Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2018, 15:50   #61

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Hookah Hose

not seeing O-rings on some pics.

?
Old 30-01-2018, 18:18   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Top one is for sure O ringed, it’s the swivels I use on my cave diving gear.
They are inside so to speak, there are bearings and an O ring at the swiveling part too.
All Dive hoses should be O ring sealed or maybe some are metal to metal, but no tape is ever necessary.
Having said that, on my Hooka, right where the hose connects to the compressor, requires Teflon tape, as it’s not Dive gear, that is where it is just a compressor fitting.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 05:22   #63

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
not seeing O-rings on some pics.

The o-ring in the photo above is in the fitting on the left. It is in a groove on the outside of the center tube. It is captive, to replace it, you use a pick.

In that photo, the o-rings are not present because they go on the mating connectors. The fitting on the left mates with the type of fitting on the left in the top photo. The rightmost fitting is a 3/8" SAE female fitting also used in some hydraulic systems (usually in larger sizes). The mating connector has an O-ring on the outside, at the base of the threads.

It is thought to be wise to get a little bit of mentorship before working on this stuff if you aren't familiar with it.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 17:23   #64

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

The o-ring in the photo above is in the fitting on the left. It is in a groove on the outside of the center tube. It is captive, to replace it, you use a pick.

In that photo, the o-rings are not present because they go on the mating connectors. The fitting on the left mates with the type of fitting on the left in the top photo. The rightmost fitting is a 3/8" SAE female fitting also used in some hydraulic systems (usually in larger sizes). The mating connector has an O-ring on the outside, at the base of the threads.

It is thought to be wise to get a little bit of mentorship before working on this stuff if you aren't familiar with it.
Yea, that is the plan. Or I will buy from a local guy that has put many together for others.
I have used shop compressors/hoses and surgical drills/saws powered by air but these look different. I have not held one in my hands.

I want to tap a dive tank and float around in 10-15 ft of water. Maybe.
Old 31-01-2018, 17:52   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If you want to use a tank, then all you need is a long hose between the first and second stage.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 18:15   #66

Yep.
Are all tank regulators pretty much the same?
That is the first stage, right?

I studied scuba texts many years ago and then found I could not afford to really do it so forgot about it and only snorkeled in the placid Gulf of Mexico.
I can't free dive well because the going up and down is too much effort and pain. I am thinking if I can just get a few feet down and look around the rocks and maybe get a grouper now and then I could be satisfied.
Old 31-01-2018, 18:47   #67

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Yep.
Are all tank regulators pretty much the same?
That is the first stage, right?
There are now three different tank valves that are incompatible (yoke, DIN, and one that is supposed to be used for Nitrox in Europe). Most divers in the western hemisphere will only run into yoke.

Quote:

I studied scuba texts many years ago and then found I could not afford to really do it so forgot about it and only snorkeled in the placid Gulf of Mexico.
I can't free dive well because the going up and down is too much effort and pain. I am thinking if I can just get a few feet down and look around the rocks and maybe get a grouper now and then I could be satisfied.
The instruction system has its drawbacks and is expensive but I would still recommend taking a class.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote