Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 10:57   #1

Taking Kids to Bahamas in July

Hey there everyone!! My name is Randy, and my wife and two kids are headed to the Bahamas at the end of July. We will be leving from Key West and will be in the Bahamas for 3 weeks!! Lucky us! We live in Ohio, and have never been to Florida before. Will be staying with some friends in Key West, so it will be nice to avoid the hotel bill on top of everything. My friend Geroge in Key West was telling me that I should look into some mosquito netting for the Bahama trip. He said he and his wife went in 2004 and the mosquitos where they were staying took over. He said either one that covers you while you sleep, or one that covers your head would help. I do trust him, but beore I go and spend a bunch of money on them I wanted to make sure that it was necesarry. Were not going to be off the boat the whole time, but I would guess for atleast a week total will be able to walk around. Thanks for your help everyone! it is greatly appreciated!
RBixton86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:29   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
I would suggest at least screens for hatch and port openings. I just got back Saturday and the swamp Angels haven't come out yet but their buddies the Horse flies are out in full force in some areas, mean little Bast..ds.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:48   #3

Boat: Boatless
Mosquito Netting vs. No see um netting comparison

We have simple nets that go over the hatches and companionway... just sew some fishing weights into the edges to keep in place. We have used our's for 6 yrs on 3 different boats.

Then all you will have to worry about is the possibility of an early season hurricane!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 16:57   #4

Boat: Ericson 35 Mk III
We just got back from the Bahamas a few weeks ago and I would agree that you ought to have some kind of mosquito netting for your hatches. I don't think I've ever seen netting for individual bunks. Seems to me the best plan is to keep them out of the boat altogether. Didn't see much in the way of skeeters yet but the doctor flies were out in force (think deer/horse flies with attitude. Nasty little things). Certain islands tend to have more bugs than others but you would do well to be prepared (don't forget the OFF).
Another piece of equipment you will want is a wind scoop if you don't already have one. You'll be there during the hottest time of the year and it really helps to keep the breeze moving through the boat. It was already heating up when we left and we were really glad for ours. A comfy sailor is a happy sailor. Have a marvelous trip. Your kids will love it! I know ours did.
SVMorningStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 09:52   #5

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Along with netting, 12volt fans are a must have item for july in the Bahamas (Nights). The Hellas I have use little power and greatly improve your sleeping on the many breezless nights you may encounter.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 10:59   #6

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
I bought a great fan called O2Cool at, of all places, Walgreens for about $20. With a 12volt cigarette type adapter from Radio Shack, $6 and it works better than the $60 Hella that corroded to death in 2 years. 700mA can't be beat. Have fun. I wish I was going too........m
Old 23-06-2010, 11:30   #7
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
as always .. when in florida or bahamas in the summer you need to be on the alert for dangerous tropical systems and hurricanes. they can pop up quickly and move faster than a sailboat. also bring some good sunscreen .. the UV index will be extreme.

Tags
Bahamas, kids