Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2009, 10:56   #1

Sailing Class for Women?

Hi Everyone,

Up until a month ago, I was not excited about my boyfriend sailing to the South Pacific and had no intention of going with him. Then I read Changing Course, my cells reorganized, and I'm hooked. I've now read a few books and have spent hours looking on-line at sailing schools for women (I went to a women's college and I really think that's the best learning environment for me) someplace warm (I live in the Bay Area). I've taken a crew class up here at OCSC, but that's it. I've narrowed it down to Sistership or Off Shore's Fast Track to Cruising Course ($$$! worth it?), but I'd love to hear from any of you about your experiences with any school.

Thank you!

Anne
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 11:11   #2

Boat: Island Packet 35
Women Sailing Schools

Anne,
I recently took classes from Sunshine Sailing Adventures in Key Largo, FL. Captain Jen is wonderful and I learned a lot from her. I would highly recommend her as a sailing instructor. Best of luck in your quest to learn to sail! It's GREAT!

Ann
Alibi35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 11:29   #3

Thank you!

Thanks, Ann! Based on your recommendation, I just gave her a call. I'll keep you posted!

Anne
Old 26-03-2009, 12:27   #4

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
I have "seen" several Sistership classes at Nanny Cay, Tortola. The all seem to really enjoy the class and it is impressive when they get toward the end and start backing the sail boat into the slips.

I've passed them offshore and they all seem to be well trained in the boat trim and control even in the gusty Christmas Winds the area is know for between late November and about late Feb. (A great time for a class)

The big plus is you can not beat the location and sailing conditions. Boats look well cared for and the instructors appear to be very knowledgeable and can relate well to their students of widely varying skills. I personally would have loved to take a class like this one but alas... I'm not physically qualified ;P
Old 26-03-2009, 12:28   #5
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Bobo - last time I checked, Tradewinds (out of Point Richmond) offered women only courses ... taught by a woman. That was a few years ago, and I don't know if they still do, or even if they still exist.

I don't know how soon you two are planning your cruise, but if there is time, Tradewinds also offers (or did) one of the nices tie-ins to boat rental on the Bay.

Good luck!
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 17:33   #6

Boat: Caliber 35
Hi Anne,
You might want to contact Womanship (Annapolis, MD) for starters. After that I would recommend you volunteer to race...you would learn a lot. Then if you really like it you could volunteer at a community sailing program like what they have in Baltimore, DC and other cites.
EvB
harmony80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 19:27   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
You might want to contact Womanship
Lots of women around here have done it. If it is the environment you need this would be the one. Everyone on a ship needs to feel they understand how and why things work. Learning on your own terms is just not a bad way to go. Some couples do it together and other say it's the worst thing there is. Seems to me that two ways to do things isn't that radical.

As far as racing goes I think that is a second area some people disagree. It can be a great way to perfect sailing skills yet many find the competition to be a negative. For cruising there is no competition since the only event is having more fun than everyone else. That is the one event both men and women agree on.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 20:00   #8

Boat: Caliber 35
Not all racing is intensive, especially in community-based sailing programs or a small sailing community. SCOW in VA has a pretty low-key attitude and they are great at helping people learn to sail, even if racing. The important thing is to learn sailing in a congenial atmosphere. If this in a race team, there are those who race to win at all cost, and there are those who race to win while having a great time. Just say thanks but no thanks if it doesn't feel right.
harmony80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 20:05   #9

Boat: it doesn't have a sail so it doesn't count!
pirate

Here's the ASA basic courses on the west coast- Bellingham, WA - San Juan Islands. My wife took her classes here and really enjoyed it (not to mention she didn't want me yelling - her words! ).

San Juan Islands Learn To Sail San Juan Islands Learn To Charters

Not sure if this is enough depth for what you're looking for.

all the best,
craig in sunny seattle (at least today!)
NW Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 19:35   #10

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Why would a sailing class for women be different than a class for men?

The issue of a more experienced partner making the learning more difficult (which often happens) is a completely separate issue.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 19:42   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Why would a sailing class for women be different than a class for men?
Sometimes it matters until it doesn't. We just had someone from the yacht club come back from Womenship (in Annapolis). She said it was great and she thought it was great and learned a lot. Sometimes the results matter more than the method of how you get there. Her husband thought it was really great and he didn't go!
Old 09-04-2009, 05:17   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Check out the excellent resources at WomenandCruising.com
Women and Cruising
:

Women and Cruising Resources - Useful Addresses, Websites, Books, Tips, Articles, Seminars

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 17:25   #13
cnj

Boat: Fontain Pejot Tobago 35 Cat Alee
I took my class with SeaSense. They're out of FL but they hold classes all over. I took mine in CT. I learned alot and was much more cofident.

Sailing and Powerboating for Women at Sea Sense

Carol, the "C" in CNJ
Old 09-04-2009, 19:21   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I learned alot and was much more confident.
Those are the two things you need from any training. Understanding is the key to being comfortable. It's something everyone needs and wants. Suddenly things become familiar and you have more confidence. A good start means you can only become more confident and for all the right reasons. The basics allow you to see things very different. Suddenly you can see the wind and none of your land friends will understand.
Old 14-04-2009, 12:26   #15

Thanks, Everyone! What a great resource this is. I'm signed up for Sistership in May. I'll keep you posted!!!

Anne