Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2009, 16:04   #46

Location: aboard our boat and summer in beautiful Kye Bay Comox BC Canada
Boat: 78 Cooper Ketch 40 feet
Send a message via Skype™ to luepetri
wow! such great ideas. Being a new live aboard (1 and half months so far) this tread is very helpful.
My most favourite thing so far is my galley as a whole. Love to cook and it has become the centre of our home once again. My oven, fridge/ice box, new hot water tank.............all put together it is a delight to use.

We are attempting to be very self sufficient so try not to use much electric power, though our solar panels are excellent.

All of your ideas are great...some I already use others are very interesting ie shop towels -never thought of it and it sounds great.

Keep up the good ideas.........and thanks.
luepetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 16:09   #47

Location: aboard our boat and summer in beautiful Kye Bay Comox BC Canada
Boat: 78 Cooper Ketch 40 feet
Send a message via Skype™ to luepetri
also wondering if mosquito netting is necessary as we sail south towards Sea of Cortez for the winter. I like the bug swatter idea -cheaper then getting netting installed in our wheel house???
luepetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 17:57   #48

Bean Bag Chairs

We love our bean bag chairs and have three large and three small bags. We fabricated Sunbrella bean bag chair cases to keep the vinyl off the skin in hot weather.
danhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 18:30   #49

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28' - CALYPSO
Those baskets with handles look great - anyone care to share where they found 'em?

Thanks,

Nica
s/v Calypso
Calypso Sails Again!
Sailingbeagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 22:12   #50

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Trawler-Highlander, Pearson 26 - Midnight
If you already have a Kindle, don't read this.

If you don't, check out the Sony Reader. I just bought the 505 for $199 and I have access through my laptop to all FREE books on line and in many libraries. In this instance, free means free, not free with a $5 charge to Amazon for downloading.

It isn't wireless, but if you check blogs on Kindles vs Sony Readers, you will see claims that wireless gives access back to you from Amazon. It seems that Amazon recently removed a book from all Kindles. The irony is that the book was Orwell's 1984. It seems Amazon did not have the rights to the book. They did return the money. I checked this on SNOPES and found no reference. Perhaps it did happen.

Sony will be coming out with a touch screen (I see no advantage to this as it has a menu and a cursor) and it will be wireless. You might want to check it out. Free downloads are worth waiting for.

No, I don't work for anyone these days, I'm just excited about my Reader!

Glenda2
glenda2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 00:53   #51

Boat: Privilege 37
The latest Sony does have some good points. The screen size has increased significantly compared to the one you have, and they have added a touch screen capability to contro it.

Unfortunately the screen clarity has reduced! - Its memory is larger, and both the new one and the original have the ability to play mp3 so you can listen to music at the same time as reading your book.

I understand the latest Kindle has improved its ability to handle pdf files.

There is also a larger version of the kindle, but althouh this gives much better readability, it no longer fits handily into pockets etc.

Sony has my vote, but I am waiting for them to get the screen back to the standard of the original, and also to handle pdf files better.
Old 05-10-2009, 18:35   #52

Boat: Hunter 430 Legend
You can also load Kindle on your iPhone and download to it. I just downloaded a book that way and it was great for the plane ride. I have to find out if it can transfer to my computer though.
Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 19:36   #53

Location: Working on the new boat getting ready for first shake down cruise. Currently on the east coast of the US.
Boat: Peterson 44.
My lovely fella Ray would be my favourite thing on board. He is good company and we get on famously 24 hours a day and he can turn his hand to anything. Plumbing, electrical, painting, sewing (ex motor trimmer), cooking, cleaning (yep he does) and anything else that needs doing - he can do. I can do without alot of things onboard but I can't do without my Ray.

My DVD collection is also one of my favourite things. I am a sucker for a good movie any day and love curling up with a hot cup of tea and watching one.

That leads me to tea - couldn't be without a cuppa!

Now Idahonurse I too have greasy longish hair and over here in NZ I have used the dry shampoo Batiste (works great but very expensive here at $15 NZ for a can) but I too use talcum powder for my off days and it works just fine. Just make sure to brush it all out or you look like you have more grey hairs than normal. I find though that when we are out (not marina bound as at present) I wash in salt water and quite frankly don't have any problems at all and in fact my hair does get better.

Now as for the kindle - I am green with envy cos my greatest love (after Ray :-) is reading and I would so love a kindle! I have to talk Ray round to it though. He is already complaining about my huge number of books and frequently says that the boat is going to sink due to overloading.

I love all the other suggestions and have taken some ideas for future works.

Now a cup of tea and a book beckons..........:-)
S/V Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 19:44   #54

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Trawler-Highlander, Pearson 26 - Midnight
My favorite aboard...

is also a person, John. He is all that I need for a glorious day and night at sea. We laugh and work and panic together and have been doing so for over 40 years.

When I talked about the Sony Reader, two things worked for me as I talked to John about it. It is cheaper than the Kindle, and I will be able to correct the port list when all the books are removed from my side of our stateroom!

Glenda2
glenda2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:59   #55

Re: My Favorite Things Aboard!

You can find more suppliers here as well https://www.iqsdirectory.com/plastic-buckets/

Good luck
mikemeire is offline   Reply With Quote