Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2011, 02:54   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerstin View Post
I have decided the ideal situation is to live apart but together... like two boats in dinghy range! I guess the hard part with that would be finding the right people with a boat similarly matched in speed.
I seem to remember reading about a husband and wife both single sailors with there own yachts who married but continue to sail separately. They just arrange to meet up at the next destination.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 03:01   #47

Boat: George Stadel traditional gaff rigged 26'
Sounds ideal although meeting up once a day rather than just at the destination would maybe be better!
kerstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 18:11   #48
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom
Re: Looking for a Single Parent to Join Us

I got a reply to this last night from someone locally - she didn't find out about if off this forum. I met with her for a coffee this morning, it was rather amusing, she's more looking into the idea of doing such a trip but has been unsure how to go about it, she isn't really in a state to be able to pack life up and join us, anyway she used it to gain some info anyway.
So after about 30 mins of talking it came round to the fact I has asked for a single mother, then she asked what's the chance of some monkey business once the kids are asleep, I replied probably very little with a laugh, she then just said well that just breaks the whole deal I can't come with you now. All tongue in cheek.
I've had a lot of replies to this some from here some from other places in the last few weeks, but very few have actually been serious about actually coming with us, more just indulging a dream that maybe they might be able to do it, there are two people that are serious about it at this point, I have yet to actually meet either of them but I hope to rectify this in the coming couple of weeks.
In the meantime I have spoken to a few people at RQYS at lunch the other day, one of them a Weather guru, he seems to think there is going to be a Cat 3 or 4 cyclone in mid to late April, so I think putting off our departure till the end of April will probably be the prudent thing to do. There is a possibility we could also sail around NZ until the season has past as there are a few things there we have not seen, but I guess we will see what the coming weeks bring.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:31   #49

Greetings good sir!
I am interested!
32 year old male, divorced, 6 year old son. 911 dispatcher and volunteer emt firefighter right now. 7+ years in public saftey, yeah good luck shocking me with anything! My dad was an airline pilot and taught me to think openly and keep my prejudices to myself.
Large vocational and technological skill set acquired by my restless mind. I have owned and run a daycare. I love kids and have no problem teaching. In fact it's fun!
Could do with being a couple continents away from my STBX.
Open ended plans at this point, debt free in 3 months.
American Cell 5095401708
Regards
Kris Kerr
WindDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:16   #50
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindDragon View Post
Greetings good sir!
I am interested!
32 year old male, divorced, 6 year old son. 911 dispatcher and volunteer emt firefighter right now. 7+ years in public saftey, yeah good luck shocking me with anything! My dad was an airline pilot and taught me to think openly and keep my prejudices to myself.
Large vocational and technological skill set acquired by my restless mind. I have owned and run a daycare. I love kids and have no problem teaching. In fact it's fun!
Could do with being a couple continents away from my STBX.
Open ended plans at this point, debt free in 3 months.
American Cell 5095401708
Regards
Kris Kerr
Firefighter? So you will have your own axe?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 15:26   #51
JJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Firefighter? So you will have your own axe?
Your own Axe is required. Did I forget to mention that? Gotta chop up those kids that misbehave.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:11   #52

I have this one. It's not as pretty as the picture anymore..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jp_wood.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	24431  
Old 02-03-2011, 06:15   #53
JJB

LOL! Too much use on your son?
Old 02-03-2011, 08:26   #54

The L.A. Fire Ax. Based off of a traditional design with modern refinements. It can cut through 10 penny nails without dulling. The pick on the back is great for creating footholds on roofs, or to keep from falling off them (don't ask). Great for moving logs too.
Like a wooden boat in a way. A classic hickory handle and the mean looking company logo leads to a lot of looks and questions.
And no, no use on the boy.

As great as it is it always takes a back seat to the double bit my grandpa gave me. Now that is a classis ax that no new ax can touch!
Old 11-03-2011, 19:56   #55

Boat: Hans Christian 36'

I have no idea if you ever found anyone, but this sounds like an awesome opportunity. Going to post it on my Facebook, maybe one of my friends will feel adventurous! Either way, good luck!
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 03:46   #56
JJB

I thought I would post an update to what's happened so far.
We took a mother and son out on the boat on Friday, they were very nice people that were very gung ho, on coming with us, but as soon as we took the boat a couple of miles offshore, they got the idea of what conditions would be like during the trip.
For a while we were sailing windward in 23 knots, it was a little lumpy too the boat had a fairly typical angle of heal to it, for the conditions they both went pale white and came to the conclusion they just couldn't go through with it.

I'm really not all that sure now that someone totally inexperienced with offshore sailing is going to work, but I guess we will see.
Old 20-03-2011, 03:56   #57
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Geesh - how many times have we told you not to heel the boat on a first date...?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 16:24   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJB
I thought I would post an update to what's happened so far.
We took a mother and son out on the boat on Friday, they were very nice people that were very gung ho, on coming with us, but as soon as we took the boat a couple of miles offshore, they got the idea of what conditions would be like during the trip.
For a while we were sailing windward in 23 knots, it was a little lumpy too the boat had a fairly typical angle of heal to it, for the conditions they both went pale white and came to the conclusion they just couldn't go through with it.

I'm really not all that sure now that someone totally inexperienced with offshore sailing is going to work, but I guess we will see.
How about this, next time you take a family out (if you like them) just stay out till Stockholms kicks in.
Event_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 23:53   #59
JJB

I vaguely thought about it but there just isn't enough room for a whole other family. That was another reason for asking for a single parent. In race mode we can sleep 12 but long term more than 6 would just make life too uncomfortable for all concerned.
Old 21-03-2011, 02:21   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJB
I vaguely thought about it but there just isn't enough room for a whole other family. That was another reason for asking for a single parent. In race mode we can sleep 12 but long term more than 6 would just make life too uncomfortable for all concerned.
Ahhhh...I was counting the single parent + kid(s) as an entire family.
Event_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single