Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2010, 05:10   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
Please read this article:
ActiveCaptain - Dogs on Boats - Canine Crew

There's more to it than just putting down astroturf to guarantee success. We've had more than 50 people write to us to tell us that the technique worked for their dogs. It is especially effective with puppies.
This is so true. We started our Schip with AstroTurf when she was about six months old. We had read a lot of stories about people attempting to boat-train their dogs, and failing. General opinion was that it's because most owners give in to the dog, before the dog gives in. Taking them ashore only reinforces in their minds, that the boat is not the place to "go".
sparklegirl50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 05:15   #107

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM
Schipperkes are such beautiful and loving dogs. We had one for about 8 years. We got him as a pup from a rescue organization. Unfortunately, he died of cancer about two years ago. Broke our hearts.
DennisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 05:23   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
Schipperkes are such beautiful and loving dogs. We had one for about 8 years. We got him as a pup from a rescue organization. Unfortunately, he died of cancer about two years ago. Broke our hearts.
Sorry to hear that; I look at her little face, and don't know what I'd do without her. Schips are wonderfuls dogs, not for everyone, but she is terribly smart, and so funny!!
sparklegirl50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 11:43   #109
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Astro turf?.....my malamute just knew where the scuppers were, and squatted on the side opposite the dock, when I took her to shore she would go below the tide line. When she couldn't do that our marina provided plastic bag dispensers at frequent intervals. When it didn't work out on the boat I found a 120 acre horse farm where she could play and run free, she died of cancer there, but a ruptured tumor made it quick. Last winter was the first winter in almost 8 years with out her, it was a hard winter.
wolfenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 00:36   #110

Boat: Norman Cross 46
you might need 2 astroturf!

When we had our first Schipperke, a male, he was holding his bladder as full as he could and only used the astroturf when he could hold it no longer (sometimes after 2 days to our dismay). One vet we met mentioned that some dogs can be so fastidious that they need 2 carpets ! We did put a second carpet, and it did the trick Still loved to do it ashore with all the stimulating smells but no problem on long passages. Our actual Schipperke (a female) just go on her carpets right away if she knows we are taking her ashore .. I guess no better place than yours
We are in the process right now to import a male companion for her so we'll know if difference in attitude is related to gender ... ahhh these little s
For the last 16 years we have been cruising full time with Schipperke, never regretted
Note: the astroturf carpets are glued on an slight incline so easy to wash with a busket. We appreciate to be able to walk anywhere in the dark (except on the carpets) without fear of stepping in anything unpleasant!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
Please read this article:
ActiveCaptain - Dogs on Boats - Canine Crew

There's more to it than just putting down astroturf to guarantee success. We've had more than 50 people write to us to tell us that the technique worked for their dogs. It is especially effective with puppies.
lucseawalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 09:01   #111

Boat: S2-35C
I have a 6 month old Boykin Spaniel. They are a great unknown breed, and he's been great on the boat. They top out at about 40 pounds for a male. They are great swimmers, great cuddly family dogs. At 40 pounds they think they are a lap dog. It makes sitting on the floor to work on something hard because they will want to crawl into your lap. They are fairly spart dogs, and are very eagar to please - often praise is enough to teach them, and a raised voice enough to scold them. They are high energy dogs, but mine seems to know he can't be on the boat and he happily settles down, even if he has not had much run around time during the day.

They can make great watchdogs, barking at strangers. Mine has started with extreme reservation as to whom he barks at. Over the weekend he was sleeping with my daughter, I got up at 3-4AM to quite a noisy mainsheet traveler. As soon as I opened the hatch he started barking. This was a suprise because he has been so careful about what he barks at.
pas63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 22:21   #112

Boat: sayers 40 and elliot 5.9
i sail with my partner and two maltese terriers named jack and wilson . they go anywhere they want on our 40fter , they sleep on a large shelf in our cabin. they do their business on the fordeck, except in really rough. they spent a lot of time on our trailer sailor, they dont get seasick. and they dont get in the road, we are also going abroad in 2 years up to the pacific islands then to philipines and asia we had planned to take the boys, im not sure of the rules with some of the countries we are going, they are great boat dogs and always get fused over when arrive at a resort for a meal or collect fuel or water, espeacialy wearing there red life jackets
love sailing with these guys and they seem to enjoy being with us
soberkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 02:00   #113

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
If UK had discovered the dogs, they would have been quarantined for a long time (= very expensive) and you would have had a hefty fine.

There has recently been an introduction of a dog passport to try to ease travel for animals where there are fewer quarantine concerns, but this still requires the pet to visit a vet in that country just before travel, get a form filled out correctly, and then travel via commercial transport into specific ports. travel via a yacht does not qualify
We have pet passports for the dog and cat. It makes traveling much easier.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:56   #114

Here is a really good youtube channel on dog training. I think this could be of great help to any dog owner, but especially to owners who need to teach complex behaviors. I bet you could teach a dog to climb down the companionway stairs backwards using this technique.

I should also mention that Ceaser Millan's training methods are controversial, and that this is the method promoted by the SPCA

kikopup
Athowhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 20:09   #115

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn
Guard dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev & Bill View Post
We have been considering the pros and cons of getting a dog to live aboard. Our choice would be a standard poodle. Besides being "man's best friend" we thought it would be a good way to guard the boat. Any comments on quarantine issues, standard poodle choice, hassles, hindrances and benefits?
you want a anchle biter excuse me I like them also but A GUARD DOG think ! When someone SEE'S OR HEARS my doggy they DON'T come near my boat!Also no more trouble than one of those foot biters plus a lot more love
jenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 13:22   #116

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny2 View Post
you want a anchle biter excuse me I like them also but A GUARD DOG think ! When someone SEE'S OR HEARS my doggy they DON'T come near my boat!Also no more trouble than one of those foot biters plus a lot more love
A standard poodle is the same size or bigger than a lab.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 13:45   #117

Boat: CT54
Quote:
Ankle biter???? Standard Poodles can be very large. I have personally seen a few that you could saddle and ride. Very smart (trainable) and great swimmers.
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 07:09   #118

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
If there is a dogfight I will put my $'s on a standard poodle over a lab any day and give odds. Airdale, different story. Give the Poodle a 30lb advantage and the Poodle will still lose.
My qualifcations are 30 years as a telephone man IE: jumping in fenced back yards with dogs of all stripe. Most unpredictable dogs are the stupid ones, think Dalmations. They will wag their tale the attack you. I had to put one of those out for the count once. I guess he lived, I did not stay around to see. It was a matter of surrival...Mine.

I currently have a 15 lb minature poodle. Her best friend is an austrilan sheppard at about 40 lbs. The poodle holds her own with the much bigger dog...always.
Old 25-10-2010, 18:10   #119

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn
Dalmations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
If there is a dogfight I will put my $'s on a standard poodle over a lab any day and give odds. Airdale, different story. Give the Poodle a 30lb advantage and the Poodle will still lose.
My qualifcations are 30 years as a telephone man IE: jumping in fenced back yards with dogs of all stripe. Most unpredictable dogs are the stupid ones, think Dalmations. They will wag their tale the attack you. I had to put one of those out for the count once. I guess he lived, I did not stay around to see. It was a matter of surrival...Mine.

I currently have a 15 lb minature poodle. Her best friend is an austrilan sheppard at about 40 lbs. The poodle holds her own with the much bigger dog...always.
Dalmations are strange dogs I love all dogs the Dalmations are unstable from being so iner bread you can't trust them but then again any type of dog can be crazy or just plain stupid I have been attacked by all sorts of them from maintance work on beach houses and dock work but to me when the they are to inner bread they just don't have good sense retarted its a shame people do this for show dogs just to get the perfect colors and markings
jenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 18:18   #120

Boat: CT54
Quote:
Dalmations are strange dogs I love all dogs the Dalmations are unstable from being so iner bread you can't trust them but then again any type of dog can be crazy or just plain stupid I have been attacked by all sorts of them from maintance work on beach houses and dock work but to me when the they are to inner bread they just don't have good sense retarted its a shame people do this for show dogs just to get the perfect colors and markings
Same with the Cocker Spaniel. Lots of breeds got hurt by popularity.
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dogs, liveaboard