Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2009, 21:54   #31

__ __
cherrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 16:09   #32

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Antigua 37 - Ti' Punch
Cherrick - we couldn't really part with them. They're as much a part of the family as any of the rest of us. I think I'll stick with two plus the cat though, five would be a crowd.

Sarafina - The original reason we got them was to make some noise! We live back off the road and the dogs made my wife feel more comfortable when I was on the road for work. It's one of those situational things, we want them to bark at home, but at a marina the very same behavior becomes unacceptable. I guess it would be possible to train them that the boat is a "no bark" zone. I guess you are right though, we won't know until we try.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Chris
Ti' Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 17:35   #33
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
ah yes... yet another catch 22... nothing is ever simple, is it Chris?

well, Dogs are pretty smart, and they might view the boat as a different sort of place than a house. Good luck to you, and I think you are correct, you won't know until you try. Maybe one at a time? No, scratch that, it would be mean to the one left behind, and solo they are more likely to be anxious I suspect...

Sara

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 00:09   #34

Boat: boat less ATM
I used to have a doberman on board my previous cat. She was an old dog when she came on board and did not reallylike sailing but did like being with us all the time. She would go downstairs and sleep the whole time the sails were up. Her record for holdng on was 26 hrs!!!

I have seen a cat with two dobermans on board that cruised the Kimberley coast called "Dog on Cat"

I now have Kaspa the Wonda dawg, a dalmation boxer cross. When the doberman died, we said never again would we have a dog with us sailing because of too many hassles - National Nark Nazis being the top of the list.

We were boatless for 2 years and became VERY dog deprived. I volunteered to the RSPCA to look after a dog on the weekends to get them out of the kennels for a break. Kaspa was our first sleep over victim and he never went back. He was 5 yrs old and now 5 years later he is a valuable member of the crew.

His duties include seeing off pesky pooping birds and bark at jet skis. I think he likes sailing better than his predecessor. He likes to hang over the back and look for fish and he absolutely LOSES IT when he spots whales or dolphins. I have seen the dolphins teasing him and playing hide & seek when we are anchored.

If pushed he will pee on the staunchions up the front of the boat & has been known to poo on the trampolines. How's that for a considerate pooch.
Way smarter & more useful than teenage boys IMO
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 07:36   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
large dogs bark in proportion to their size--they poop in proportion to their size and take up space----lol----barking dogs have been known to cause unrest in an anchorage and discord among the anchorees, many of whom would rather listen to an obnoxious brigs and stratton generator than a barking dog...gennies are turned off at night--dogs dont care when they bark......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 08:23   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Ok, guys, a few words from a boat dog,
, the aft deck is part of my patrol route and quite suitable for my deposits...
Of course, I'm not concerned, but the captain does follow with a saltwater rinse from a bucket. Liveaboard seadogs don't need astroturf or dinghy rides....

...I've been peeing and poopng on the poop deck for all of my nine years, Zorro
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 09:10   #37

Boat: boat less ATM
Hey Zorro dude

Don't let those humans bring you down to their level by letting them sneak up on you when you are having a quite pee on your human's nice red jerry can.
That photo is SOOO GROSS, dawg.
Use those shiny sharp canines and bite that Capt Force next time he does that.

Here is a pic of me about to bite a paparazi who was trying to take an unauthorised pic of me sitting on the softest spot on the boat - my human's lap. Look & learn, Zorro, pup.
PS Hey Zorro de Mono - Get a CAT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capt grooming K_compr.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	15371  
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 13:07   #38
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"barking dogs have been known to cause unrest"
That's no problem, you get rid of the master who fails to train the dog, and the problem goes away. If the master is too lazy, too incompetent, or too cheap to buy a bark collar for the dog, you buy him a couple of beers, whap 'em over the head with a blackjack, and send 'em off as crew on a tramp freighter. Someone can always use free crew.
By the time they come back, boat, dog, and bark are all solved.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 14:44   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Casey, a German Shorthair/Pitt mix learned to go topside once when she had a wee too much salt water to drink and got a little "loose"... Now she hits the same spot every time when away from the dock. A handy bucket is a must!

Old 31-08-2010, 09:11   #40
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishspearit View Post
Yes, you are correct. The same applies to the animals urine, which should not be washed overboard. I recommend following your dog around with a small cup whenever it's walking on deck, so that you can collect the urine when necessary. Then add it to your holding tank. Another good option is to make your pet wear a diaper.

I witnessed something truly horrific yesterday evening. I was standing on my back deck when a seagull flew overhead and had the nerve to crap in the water 10 feet behind my boat! I mean, it would have been ok if it had crapped on my head or on my deck, but in the water!! Then it just flew away completely oblivious to the damage it is perpetrating on our waterways!! I was aghast! Damn polluters
Absolutely hilarious post! 5 x

BTW: Seems all with big dogs sail cats? (no game o' words intended!

This is a significant part of my current "just thinking", my "baby" - which is a 80 lbs German Sheperd / Rottweiler mix and the sweetest thing on earth! 4 years old now - so I hope I can still get her used to accept deck for business.
Problem will be to get her in and out of cabin since as much as she loves me - she hates being lifted. (Set aside that lifting 80 lbs down into the dingi is one thing, but what about lifting her back up onto the boat?)
JustThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 09:38   #41

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
My partner's dog peed on my foredeck last year, and it is now the cleanest spot on my old Treadmaster. I need to bottle that stuff and sell it...
Old 31-08-2010, 10:03   #42
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

It is already bottled and available for sale in the supermarket under the brand name "Ammonia Water" aka Ammonia. <G>

Although you might use it with caution, because ammonia (a natural decomposition product in urine) also breaks down latex and rubbers, so it may have literally taken off the Treadmaster that the dirt was bonded to. (Who knew?)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 12:20   #43

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
I have been joking about synthesizing it (ammonia and urea) and selling it under the name "Zuby Wash" (Zubenelgenubi is his name) for Treadmaster... which flatly refuses to come clean using any boat soap. I have not tried ammonia yet, but I'm constantly reminded by that clean round spot with the bright line to the rail marking the ancient rivulet....

Maybe ammonia and then a quick cleanup with soap and water. I'll try a small spot first...
Old 21-11-2010, 04:30   #44

Boat: Irwin Citation
3 mile limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by togiboat View Post
Dogs get to runaround naked, we humans get in trouble for that?
Far enough out and you can have it as good as the dogs! I do...

I have a large german shepherd and although I have had it on the boat, I have never had it underway with me for any length of time. Anything longer range and it stays at home because OH MY GOSH what a nightmare in that respect... poop? I can't even imagine having to deal with that at sea! Obviously people manage it somehow; I have seen large dogs on cruising boats before but I can see it as being a lot to contend with. Picture saying, "Can you go grab that boathook up on the starboard gunnel and uhm... be careful not to step in that poop?"
GavinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 08:49   #45
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
clean up with joy soap and treat with natures miracle if you dont want smell-0- the stuff works on tomcat spray and skunk smell--- should also work for doggies.. my kat says so.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dogs