Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2015, 10:56   #1

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Introducing a young dog to sailing

My dog always came sailing with me.

She preferred to sleep below while we were underway. I felt this was much safer for her too. She would find a safe spot, curl up, and nap until we got someplace. She would be very excited when we would come up to a dock, and would often be the first one off the boat...leaping across, then tearing up the dock to find some grass to pee before coming straight back.

If we anchored, I would row her ashore at least 3 times a day...what a bother.

Basically, I just brought her with me whenever I went to the boat. She bacame accustomed to getting on and off, going up and down the campanionway, and knew where was good sleep. I had a 12volt fan which blew on her (face) when it was hot.

She never had any complaints, and never tried to go overboard. She absolutely loved the places we visited...islands where she could run free and hunt mice, as well as american towns where dogs run free ....no leash laws... often a whole pack of dogs would come down to see her at the dock, and she would disappear with them for an hour, all of them running at full speed through the town...dog fun.

Sometimes I would have her swim behind the dinghy to get a "long run", as there wasn't much space on board.

I think my dog enjoyed being with me on the boat as much as I enjoyed having her aboard. She lived 11 years and 11 months. I miss her every day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swim.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	114799  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 13:31   #2

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post

She preferred to sleep below while we were underway. I felt this was much safer for her too. She would find a safe spot, curl up, and nap until we got someplace. She would be very excited when we would come up to a dock, and would often be the first one off the boat...leaping across, then tearing up the dock to find some grass to pee before coming straight back.

Basically, I just brought her with me whenever I went to the boat. She bacame accustomed to getting on and off, going up and down the campanionway, and knew where was good sleep. I had a 12volt fan which blew on her (face) when it was hot.

She never had any complaints, and never tried to go overboard. She absolutely loved the places we visited...islands where she could run free and hunt mice, as well as american towns where dogs run free ....no leash laws... often a whole pack of dogs would come down to see her at the dock, and she would disappear with them for an hour, all of them running at full speed through the town...dog fun.

Sometimes I would have her swim behind the dinghy to get a "long run", as there wasn't much space on board.

I think my dog enjoyed being with me on the boat as much as I enjoyed having her aboard. She lived 11 years and 11 months. I miss her every day.
Great story...my first "boat dog", a female Chow Chow, would walk slowly in the tidal flats at low tide with just her nose under water, [blowing little bubbles to keep the water out] hunting for small crabs. I always knew when seals, or Orcas were around just by noticing her staring over the stern and whimpering.

I am convinced you are correct that dogs experience the same pleasure we do in hanging out together. My dog is always with me, 24/7 until that horrible day comes when they leave this life...
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 12:24   #3

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post

I am touched

Our passed dogs remain our Friends forever.

They add to our shadow.

It is a moral obligation to keep our pets sound and happy. It sounds like you did :-)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing