Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2009, 11:01   #1

Boat: 40 ft Owen Easton Catamaran
Homeschooling Question - Logistics

I've read through the various homeschooling threads and they all seem to focus on cirriculum. I have more of a logistical question. I've decided on a cirriculum and we were just about to get our mail forwarding set up with an address and residency in FL. In researching the FL laws for homeschooling, it looks like I can pretty much just write a letter of intent to the county and then once a year get someone to review our "portfolio." My question is, are there any FL residents out there sailing and homeschooling and what do you do for this review? I really don't have any intentions of going to FL, so do I just pick a county to write to? How do I get in touch with the right folks for "reviewing" my work.

Also, we're starting him in a Kindergarten cirriculum at 4-5 years old and it looks like FL laws don't really care until they're 6 years old. So I'm guessing that I don't need to do anything the first year. Would you all make the same assumption?

I'm hoping to get all opinions (hasn't been a problem so far )and any experiences you may have to share.

Thanks.
Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 11:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Here's a few sites with specific information:

http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/FL/

http://www.floridaschoolchoice.org/i...ome_education/

http://www.homeschoolinginflorida.co...statelaws.aspx

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 19:11   #3

If you're not going to FL I'm curious as to why you'd choose that state for residency? There are other states, such as TX and AK, who also don't have a state income tax, but are less hassle when it comes to homeschooling. No letters, no reviews, no testing, etc.

Just a thought. =

Jay Jennings (in AK)
Jay Jennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 21:27   #4

For both the taxes as well as that's where the mail forwarding service we chose was located. My husband is already a resident and it seemed logical. I'll check into the others though...FL laws didn't sound that cumbersome but if there's others with even less requirements, then I'm all for that.
Old 25-11-2009, 19:20   #5

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
We've been looking at home schooling here in Texas... Being a resident is easy, no state income tax (we have the 8.25% sales tax instead, but if your not here, it doesn't matter) Texas has a long history of homeschooling, and given the independent streak most Texans (and Alaskans) have I highly doubt there will be any regulation on home schooling... you just do as you want....

2divers
Old 25-11-2009, 19:44   #6

Thanks again Jay and 2divers for the recommendation - you've saved me some future time. I looked it up and you basically don't have to report to anyone about anything. Just have a written curriculum (that you never show to anyone) that teaches the basics. There also appears to be a comparable mail forwarding service down there where we can get an address. We're going to be in OK in Feb. so we're going to drive down and get a TX drivers license and boom we're done! Coming from CA, I'll be proud to be a Texan!
Old 25-11-2009, 22:58   #7

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
Usually once going from a home schooled to a state run or state sanctioned system, the student will take a placement test, or competency test to verify what grade level they are prepared for.

When I transitioned from home schooled to regular school, my placement exam results put me up an extra grade. I went from 6th straight to 8th.

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote