Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 19:30   #1

Logistics of leaving a boat for extended periods of time?

Is it possible to leave your boat unattended while traveling inland? I'm talking 1-2 weeks at a time. Do people do this, or is it just asking for trouble?

Stephen
scm007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 19:36   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
i do it all the tme
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 20:12   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm007 View Post
Is it possible to leave your boat unattended while traveling inland? I'm talking 1-2 weeks at a time. Do people do this, or is it just asking for trouble?

Stephen
That depends where you leave it unattended. I think we need a lot more details.
Old 02-03-2009, 22:08   #4

Boat: Jeanneau Sunkiss 47
I assume you mean at anchor? Although I know people who leave their boat for a week or two like this, we never do it. I will leave it overnight when I am near it and can keep an eye on weather, waves, tides etc. Any contrary changes and we are back on board....fast! If we want to head inland, we find a marina to secure the boat. I would never enjoy an inland trip worrying about weather our boat is safe. As much as we hate marinas, we would seek one out if heading away.
HorizonMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 22:24   #5

I actually meant leaving it at foreign marinas. I am wondering about the relationship between security and cost. Are some of the low cost marinas not secure enough to leave your boat for extended periods of time? I have read journals of sailors who detail thefts occurring at marinas.

Once again thanks for all of your input, this board is really unique.
scm007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:15   #6

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
While there may be a general correlation between security and cost, I think its a dangerous assumption to believe these two things necessarily go hand in hand. Cost is often a function of the overhead the marina faces, what they provide and the demand for their facilities. Security is only a small part of that equation. I think the bottom line is you need to do what research you can and use your common sense.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:32   #7

Read the Pardeys Book- "Cost Conscious Cruiser"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm007 View Post
I actually meant leaving it at foreign marinas. I am wondering about the relationship between security and cost. Are some of the low cost marinas not secure enough to leave your boat for extended periods of time? I have read journals of sailors who detail thefts occurring at marinas.

Once again thanks for all of your input, this board is really unique.
The Pardey's actually recommend anchoring over a marina for longer periods of time and paying a local to watch the boat. They go into detail on how to anchor, where to anchor, and they're experiences with marinas on the hard and in the slip.

I, personally, still get nervous leaving the boat on anchor.