Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 08:57   #106

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Four People and a Sailboat. The Quest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Hey, who is that great looking woman above...

Some things to consider.
1. Boat costs, slips, maintenance, etc, go up exponentially with increases in boat size. I think Beth Leornard (get her book Voyager's Handbook) says 10feet will increase the costs 50%?
2. In line with #1, do not underestimate the costs of maintaining a safe boat. a 47 foot boat like the Wauquiez 47 could easily cost you 10-20k a year to maintain. A frend had a 50 foot boat he built himself, and did 99% of the work himself, and he still said it cost him $10k a year to maintain.
3. A split rig boat with the rig in good shape might be a better choice. The W 47 has a powerful rig, big stick, lots of stresses etc. Perhaps a ketch?
4. Try really, really hard to find a smaller boat that meets your minimum needs. I can tell you that what space you think you need, as land dwellers, is skewed. It was for me, and everyone else I know that made the transition from home to boat.
5. I love the Wauquiez Centurions. A 42 might be a more realistic $$$ boat for you folks, though.

Chris
I like the two boats you suggest, but wonder if they might take you over budget by the time you get them ready. Perhaps something in the 40' range might be better.

Some comments about the post above. We went from a Niagara 35 to a Bristol 45.5 and from part time cruising to full time. The costs went up but nearly as much as suggested. Can't imagine how a well-prepared W 47 or similar could cost $10 to $20 k a year to maintain. We spend less than $20k a year for everything on a 30 year old 45 footer.

As for rig selection, the size of winches really matters. We have a very big rig, but our primaries are Lewmar 65s so even my wife has no problem getting the genoa in even if it is honking. We have Hood furling main and it has worked very
well for us over 30k miles.

Being full time cruisers fundamentally makes no sense, but once we accept that premise you seem to be approaching this matter in a sensible way. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2012, 15:08   #107

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
I like the two boats you suggest, but wonder if they might take you over budget by the time you get them ready. Perhaps something in the 40' range might be better.

Some comments about the post above. We went from a Niagara 35 to a Bristol 45.5 and from part time cruising to full time. The costs went up but nearly as much as suggested. Can't imagine how a well-prepared W 47 or similar could cost $10 to $20 k a year to maintain. We spend less than $20k a year for everything on a 30 year old 45 footer.

As for rig selection, the size of winches really matters. We have a very big rig, but our primaries are Lewmar 65s so even my wife has no problem getting the genoa in even if it is honking. We have Hood furling main and it has worked very
well for us over 30k miles.

Being full time cruisers fundamentally makes no sense, but once we accept that premise you seem to be approaching this matter in a sensible way. Good luck.
So what do you think about the Bristol as compared to the Niagara? I'm not talking speed since the Bristol is over 10' longer; I'm just talking overall boat. I have an old Bristol 27, but I recently looked at a Ranger 32 racing boat I believe it was and I wasn't half as impressed as I thought I'd be. I've been looking at (online) a Bristol 35.5 up in Maryland. Seems to be an awesome boat.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 17:28   #108

Boat: Robertson&Caine Leopard 38

Bristol 45 is apparently a really good boat, and the price is the greatest indicator. A 1980 45' is 150K... We will definitely consider a Bristol. Still, this boat has only 2 cabins, and we have two big kids. The boat will be our home for a long time, it is not just a weekend thing. For us the 3-cabin layout is one of the first things we look for in a boat (unfortunately, lots of 3-cabin layouts are made for chartering...)
We are taking the advise to downsize as much as possible, and so we are now looking at a 42 Catalina mk II (3-cabins!). Any thoughts on that one?
thelifenomadik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 18:15   #109

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelifenomadik View Post
Bristol 45 is apparently a really good boat, and the price is the greatest indicator. A 1980 45' is 150K... We will definitely consider a Bristol. Still, this boat has only 2 cabins, and we have two big kids. The boat will be our home for a long time, it is not just a weekend thing. For us the 3-cabin layout is one of the first things we look for in a boat (unfortunately, lots of 3-cabin layouts are made for chartering...)
We are taking the advise to downsize as much as possible, and so we are now looking at a 42 Catalina mk II (3-cabins!). Any thoughts on that one?
For living aboard and sailing up and down the Caribbean and the ICW the layout looks fine.

If you want to go anywhere that involves more than a couple, three 5-7d passages you are going to reconsider the suitability of the cabin layout.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 18:27   #110

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

I really can't offer any advice on those you've been looking at, but you did ask how we were going to do it on the 26ft. Inside, kids being big or small really all they need is a rack, meaning a place to lay the head. my boat has what's called double Quarterberths,so each girl has their own bunk. They have tons of room and in fact some nights even fall asleep together in the same bunk watching a movie, but even if they grow even my 6 foot body can fit comfortably inside . Then obviously we take the vberth.
Something about the view that's always a companionway away makes the space seem so much greater and if whatever vista gets old, we can pull the anchor. Hope to we you guys on the water soon.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 07:57   #111

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

thelifenomadic,
Props (no pun intended) to you and your wife man. I've read this thread and your blog. My moneys on you man. I think you got what "it" takes to make this happen. You've already overcame more adversity in your life than 99% of the members of this forum. You've also shown constraint and patience by brushing off the naysayers in this Forum with confidence and humility. But to be fair even the Naysayers within this forum do mean well; they don't want you to sail off never to be seen again.

Check these guys out: (No I don't pretend to know anything about these boats guys. I just think they are sexy

John Galt - Waves « Jordan Yacht Brokerage

1984 Formosa Marine Trader sailboat for sale in Oregon

Best of Luck!
Old 31-12-2012, 08:33   #112

One more thing. Are you sure you're commited to a monohull? Cats have a lot less draft which seems to be a primary concern of yours.
Old 31-12-2012, 18:09   #113

Hard to find deals on cats though. Well, what I call deals.
Old 01-01-2013, 14:36   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
There's some awesome advice being given on this thread to folks that have never sailed before who plan on sailing with children. First you have a guy in Arizona chiming in then you have the guy that plans on cramming his whole family into a 26' boat and going cruising.

Jeez? Ever heard of a rainy 38 degree week when the wind is blowing around 25. Not going to be a lot of fun on a little boat. And in Arizona the weather is usually 70 and sunny and tomorrow 70 and sunny and we are talking winter time. Plus, there ain't too many huge swells on Senator's Wash last time I checked!
Judgemental much? Heir to the Massengil fortune? Oh, btw, not to many 38 degree days where we plan to go. Don't know us, but presume you do. Laughable. Your post was useless. Cramming my family...wow.

Douche
Old 01-01-2013, 15:10   #115

Originally Posted by thomm225
There's some awesome advice being given on this thread to folks that have never sailed before who plan on sailing with children. First you have a guy in Arizona chiming in then you have the guy that plans on cramming his whole family into a 26' boat and going cruising.

Jeez? Ever heard of a rainy 38 degree week when the wind is blowing around 25. Not going to be a lot of fun on a little boat. And in Arizona the weather is usually 70 and sunny and tomorrow 70 and sunny and we are talking winter time. Plus, there ain't too many huge swells on Senator's Wash last time I checked!

Can someone (Moderator) please tell me what post # the above post by thomm225 was? I cant find it anywhere in the thread. Thanks.

As far as the post itself "Come on Man"
Old 01-01-2013, 15:25   #116

Oops, gone. Well if a mod could remove my (lil over the top) response, would much appreciate it.
Old 01-01-2013, 15:30   #117

BTW family cruiser keep it going Man! Im just "chiming" in from Arizona but I still wish you success. To be fair I do think thomm225 does mean well but dont let him or anyone "get" to ya. Remember its all in the delivery right?
Old 01-01-2013, 16:37   #118

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
One more thing. Are you sure you're commited to a monohull? Cats have a lot less draft which seems to be a primary concern of yours.
Catalac 9M information
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 17:00   #119
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I'd like to expand on my first post.

The notion that a family of 4 with two small kids and absolutely no sailing experience are going to buy a 40 footer and sail off is nonsense. You might as well , suggest buying a 737 and fly off. Did you buy your camper van and just " drive off" of course not you have driving licenses and. Suspect some experience in driving cars too.

Get some sailing experience in first , crew , see of you can handle the environment. Make sure the kids can handle it. Otherwise the sea does not suffer fools gladly.

Put a toe in the water not your whole body.

Given that you are most welcome to CF of course.

Dave
You need a license to fly a plane,anyone can go sailing,it aint rocket science,I think the saying is "Flying is less forgiven than the sea"You can do it ,be careful and dont hit anything..good luck
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 17:20   #120
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape
You need a license to fly a plane,anyone can go sailing,it aint rocket science,I think the saying is "Flying is less forgiven than the sea"You can do it ,be careful and dont hit anything..good luck
That's just it anyone can't go sailing. , they just think they can.

Dave

Tags
sailboat