Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 17:32   #106
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Disappointing Broker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailagain View Post
am I missing something here? You were NOT looking for a broker?
I think OP was looking for a boat - a Broker simply being incidental to the process, that Broker just being one of many.

The good thing for OP from all this is that she wasn't into a transaction before discovering the Broker was an asshat (IME usually also a good indicator of (in)competence).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 18:20   #107

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailagain View Post
Has the OP gotten a recommendation for a good broker in their area? If so have you contacted them?

I agree with Don too. The bad will get weeded out. But knowing NOTHING about the broker in question - perhaps there is another side to the story. Maybe they only work with clients that have been referred to them, maybe they only need to sell one boat a month to cover their bills , maybe they are just plain rude. In any case - move on and fine another. There are a million.
I have received a few names and numbers of good brokers in the Annapolis/Baltimore/Chesapeake Bay area. I also will be contacting the surveyors too.
I do appreciate the help given by so many nice people here. Something I learned many years ago was sailors help each other, and this past week has brought out the very good.
What has been a surprise is how active this thread became and how many people have viewed it. I think it is very good for all of us around the world to know we do not have to put up with old sales techniques.
I look forward to having a boat and getting on the water again; hopefully meeting many of you if you are on the Chesapeake Bay or passing through.
Old 08-08-2011, 18:38   #108

Boat: Tartan 30
This is probably a good place to post this question... I'd liike to build a website dedicated to educating first boat buyers. But the foremost feature of the site would be broker ratings. It would obviously be community driven and require people give both positive and negative feedback on brokers and other advertised sales ads... Do you folks this is a good idea? And would you participate on such a site?

I've already got the domain and the preliminary layout. But I've been struggling to put the details together. It's much more compllicated than it might sound... So having some feedback should be helpful, I'd be happy to post a new thread, bit this seems like an appropriate place to get opinions.
Old 08-08-2011, 19:50   #109

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
This is probably a good place to post this question... I'd liike to build a website dedicated to educating first boat buyers. But the foremost feature of the site would be broker ratings. It would obviously be community driven and require people give both positive and negative feedback on brokers and other advertised sales ads... Do you folks this is a good idea? And would you participate on such a site?

I've already got the domain and the preliminary layout. But I've been struggling to put the details together. It's much more compllicated than it might sound... So having some feedback should be helpful, I'd be happy to post a new thread, bit this seems like an appropriate place to get opinions.
Go for it. I will be looking for a boat in a few months, and would like to be able to refer to one depository of information on brokers.

One thing you need to recognize is that you will probably get a lot more negative comments then positive ones... if people are happy, they will tell their friends, if they are pissed, everyone gets to know.
Old 08-08-2011, 21:04   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post

How will you verify the info? So far no names have been named. IMO that is a good thing. The original OP posted her side. We haven't heard the broker’s side. Then there is the third side that is somewhere between the two and is probably the closest to being accurate.

If you name names based on anonymous unverified statements you better stand by for some liability.

Some of this stuff is subjective and has to do with tone and perceptions. It’s not always black and white.

What would you think if the yacht brokers associations started a web site about buyers and posted names? I’m sure there are quite a few stories there to tell as well.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 22:04   #111

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

Just happened on the thread while in the throes of battling a broker myself. As mentioned above I am the gearhead in our family as well as the captain of the boat (DH request). I am in no way an expert sailor but I am competent. As we were shopping for boats I spoke to quite a few brokers all over the Great Lakes region and not one impressed me. One seemed nice but couldn't be bothered to call me back so that one is a maybe.

The boat we are about to close on is held by a similar broker who can't seem to wrap his chauvinistic head around a woman who knows what she is doing. I can have a conversation and I get platitudes. My DH has the same and gets results. It's ridiculous. I wouldn't recommend this broker to a soul but he has this particular boat. I guess he expects us to be galley slaves or something. His loss because I will tell my story to anyone I know considering selling their boat and using a broker. I really feel bad for this seller because he was sorely misrepresented.

Hang in there, hopefully someone will realize that just because we have interior plumbing doesn't mean we are helpless.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:00   #112

Boat: private yacht always moving

Hang in there, hopefully someone will realize that just because we have interior plumbing doesn't mean we are helpless.
SC

I wouldn't say helpless,,,,, but maybe inferior

I am in SOOOOOO much trouble now,,,,,

about the web site concerning brokers,,,,,,do you always believe what is written on the internet or in print?????

The site is good in theory but how do you trust the reviews and who is writing them. I can see it now,a broker writing a great review about himself,,, off course I always believe what is written,,,,just do a google search for the monster of montauk,,,,it is a 7 foot lizard man living on LI made from alien and human dna,,,,,either that or it is my ex-mother in law
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:20   #113
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
...The boat we are about to close on is held by a similar broker who can't seem to wrap his chauvinistic head around a woman who knows what she is doing. ...

I can understand your frustration at being talked down to but perhaps there is a way to use it to your advantage.

Isn’t it a good thing during early negotiations to let the other side think you are dumb?

I do it all the time, let the other side talk, make claims they can’t deliver and then use those promises as a negotiating tool for a better deal.

Ego has no place during negotiations except on the losing side… so I think maybe you have a much better advantage than a man if you use it to you advantage…

…. Just a thought!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:01   #114

Boat: Tartan 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower

How will you verify the info? So far no names have been named. IMO that is a good thing. The original OP posted her side. We haven't heard the broker’s side. Then there is the third side that is somewhere between the two and is probably the closest to being accurate.

If you name names based on anonymous unverified statements you better stand by for some liability.

Some of this stuff is subjective and has to do with tone and perceptions. It’s not always black and white.

What would you think if the yacht brokers associations started a web site about buyers and posted names? I’m sure there are quite a few stories there to tell as well.
Brokers will have their say as well. They will be (free) able to submit their brokerage with descriptions etc... Then ratings and reviews linked to them. Reviews are always subjective, but they seem to work in many other applications. I personally use user ratings and review for products and services on a regular basis.

Sorry for putting this in this thread, I should have started a new one. (I will later when the site is closer to finished)
Old 09-08-2011, 05:11   #115

Boat: private yacht always moving

Might want to take a look at this site,,

Business reviews for the Yachting Community built by Captain's and Crew

Sound like you want to do something similar
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:17   #116

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic

Isn’t it a good thing during early negotiations to let the other side think you are dumb?

I do it all the time, let the other side talk, make claims they can’t deliver and then use those promises as a negotiating tool for a better deal.

Ego has no place during negotiations except on the losing side… so I think maybe you have a much better advantage than a man if you use it to you advantage…

…. Just a thought!
Definitely! I use a dumb blonde approach often. It has served me well in the executive business world. I completely agree on ego. I just find it strange that I explain his contract to him he laughs and makes feeble attempts to humor me while not knowing what his contract stated. At this point there isn't much room to negotiate other than additions outside the contract. To the sellers credit he has tried to help in areas he didn't have to. I do know that broker will never get my business. I would not want to be misrepresented as the other side of this transaction.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:40   #117

Boat: several from 20 -50'

I guess I'm lucky... I'm a broker who actually likes boats and enjoys meeting people. Most brokers I respect are the same way. I work between DC, Solomons and Baltimore mostly. Contact me anytime.
partgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:15   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post

It'll be just like Yelp. Worthless, in other words. You're far better off with a personal recommendation by someone you trust. I don't need to see the usual mix of incoherent and ungrammatical rubbish, diatribe, and reviews written by the business masquerading as personal ones. But this is the internet, where the herd is always right.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:54   #119

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
It'll be just like Yelp. Worthless, in other words. You're far better off with a personal recommendation by someone you trust. I don't need to see the usual mix of incoherent and ungrammatical rubbish, diatribe, and reviews written by the business masquerading as personal ones. But this is the internet, where the herd is always right.
Seems to me that TripAdvisor is well respected and seems to have dealt well with reviews.

If I see 12 reviews that are negative with reasons why, and 2 positive, I know I won't be using that hotel.

If I see the opposite, I will take a look at the critical ones, assess their validity in-light of the positive one, especially as to how old they may be or unrealistic expectations, and go from there.

A feature the OP may want to consider is a place for brokers to present their side of a story.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:55   #120

Boat: Seafarer 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy

Brokers will have their say as well. They will be (free) able to submit their brokerage with descriptions etc... Then ratings and reviews linked to them. Reviews are always subjective, but they seem to work in many other applications. I personally use user ratings and review for products and services on a regular basis.

Sorry for putting this in this thread, I should have started a new one. (I will later when the site is closer to finished)
You might want to limit it to recommendations rather then complaints
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote