Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 09:27   #91

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Re: Disappointing Broker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
There is always the story of the hayseed, bib overall, straw hat wearing yokel that walks into the Cadillac Dealer. The young brash salesman ignores him, but the older experienced salesman goes over to him and explains the cars, shows him the workshop gets him coffee. Then the farmer leaves. The young guy asks the older salesman why he spent so much time with an obvious no sale. The old guy says "Wait." A month later the hayseed comes back and buys a caddy for himself and one for his wife, and makes sure the old guy gets the sale. The old guy says to the younger guy, "Soybeans were up last week." Got to know your market.
That, Don, is a truth. The best commission I ever had was for a smelly, unkempt, largess person who looked homeless and who nobody would approach. The second largest was to a "hayseed" couple similar to your tale above. Never, EVER judge a book by it's cover...
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:55   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailagain View Post
am I missing something here? You were NOT looking for a broker? So even if this person spent some time with you, you would not have used their services?

Rude people are a fact of life - haven't you encountered them at many places in your life? I have - Walmart, McDonalds, West Marine, Real-estate agents, apartment rental agents...etc

I don't think brokers have more or less of their fair share of the rude people in the world

Do you start a posting for every rude person you encounter at a specific business?
I think that, in the name of balance, we should have another thread where brokers can list everything unreasonable that buyers have done over the years.

I used a broker and they were very good. Even took a phone call from me on Sunday afternoon while they were on vacation and I couldn't figure out how to STOP the engine!
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:21   #93

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
That, Don, is a truth. The best commission I ever had was for a smelly, unkempt, largess person who looked homeless and who nobody would approach. The second largest was to a "hayseed" couple similar to your tale above. Never, EVER judge a book by it's cover...
My best was to an old small (5'2" about) cripple, walked with a pronounced limp, cradled a hand. The other sales guys ignored him. The guy owned a fleet of container ships, I sold him radars for his intire fleet of 99 ships at $50,000 a crack. (Big ships). No, I was not a commision salesman at the time.

I did get a promotion out of it.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:43   #94

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_78 View Post
I'm thinking the broker probably got a call from the owner after you called and told him to lower the price to try getting offers. Could it be possible also that the broker never mentioned someone was interested in the boat or what the offer was? I think so. From what I've read here on the forums and elsewhere is once the boat is with the broker, the owner doesn't hear much from the broker. Does that sound right to others?
I can't speak to what happened in the exchange above. However, I used the same broker to help sell my old boat and buy the new one. He worked much harder and longer for much less to sell my old boat than to help me buy. I expect the broker and his partner made about $10/hr on the transaction. I got email updates whenever a semi-serious buyer saw the boat and weekly status phone calls even through the winter. When the eventual buyer made his offer, we spoke every day or two until the deal was done. When the time comes to sell or buy, I will hire him again in a heartbeat.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 15:06   #95

Boat: Catalina 30

My goodness you seem a little tight.
I am looking for a specific boat. I also have a list of 10 boats to look at if I can't find number 1.

A rude broker should go sit on a sea squirt instead of driving away potential customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailagain View Post
am I missing something here? You were NOT looking for a broker? So even if this person spent some time with you, you would not have used their services?

Rude people are a fact of life - haven't you encountered them at many places in your life? I have - Walmart, McDonalds, West Marine, Real-estate agents, apartment rental agents...etc

I don't think brokers have more or less of their fair share of the rude people in the world

Do you start a posting for every rude person you encounter at a specific business?
Old 08-08-2011, 15:25   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Please folks, discuss it without getting personal. Respect others opinions.

Since the subject is Marine Brokers you can expect opinions to be expressed about peoples experiences with them, good and bad.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 16:08   #97

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Don't complain about rude brokers, they will eventually find other work more suited to their sensibilities. Good ones will be there and you'll find them. Unfortunately good boats will sit unsold in the mean time.
Old 08-08-2011, 16:23   #98

Boat: Seafarer 26
Don while in theory I agree with you. I think it's ok to share your bad experience and if you feel you need a broker to use this websites resources to get recommendations for a good one. I call that being wise.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 16:28   #99

Boat: Beneteau 34'
Has the OP gotten a recommendation for a good broker in their area? If so have you contacted them?

I agree with Don too. The bad will get weeded out. But knowing NOTHING about the broker in question - perhaps there is another side to the story. Maybe they only work with clients that have been referred to them, maybe they only need to sell one boat a month to cover their bills , maybe they are just plain rude. In any case - move on and fine another. There are a million.
Sailagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 16:41   #100

Most women I know don't respond well to pushy. I think this is posted under woman afloat? In any case not all are bad but why waste your time weeding through them. I think a couple of kind soles have made recommendations and that is what this is about.
Old 08-08-2011, 16:44   #101

Boat: looking for a 28-32ft cruiser...
My husband & I are in the beginning stages of looking (expect to purchase by Spring) and I have to admit we were pleasantly surprized by our experience at Boat Country. We looked around for a while on our own, but weren't going to bother anyone since we're still in the looky-loo phase. Nice, younger guy came out answered a lot of (probably dumb) questions for us & then actually volunteered to take us back through the couple of boats we liked (plus a few more!). The boat hubby liked is gone, we think....but my favorite is still there. I will definitely be going back to look more & will buy from him, if the right boat comes along.
Spinderella95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 16:45   #102

Boat: Beneteau 34'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkdoyle
I think a couple of kind soles have made recommendations and that is what this is about.
That's good to hear! That's the best thing about these forums. Now she will get an excellent broker to work with.
Sailagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 17:09   #103
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

I don't think brokers work well with women.

When we looked at our current boat, Wonderblond commented that she thought the mast-base blocks were undersized, especially the one on the boom vang. The broker responded briskly that they were up to spec. I stopped him right there and said, "If she thinks the blocks are undersized, we're not buying the boat, because her spec is the only one that counts at the moment."

The blocks were replaced immediately.
Old 08-08-2011, 17:15   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash

When we looked at our current boat, Wonderblond commented that she thought the mast-base blocks were undersized, especially the one on the boom vang. The broker responded briskly that they were up to spec. I stopped him right there and said, "If she thinks the blocks are undersized, we're not buying the boat, because her spec is the only one that counts at the moment."

The blocks were replaced immediately.
Bash - my husband and I had a really good laugh.

Thanks
Old 08-08-2011, 17:28   #105

Boat: looking for a 28-32ft cruiser...
Wink Re: Disappointing Broker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I think this is true of most "motorized" (or mechanical, whatever) sports / transactions. But, as has been pointed out numerous times in this thread already, it pays to treat ALL customers well...

*I* am the 'gearhead' in our household...I've bought, rebuilt, and raced numerous sports cars in my spare time. I like things that go fast & I was the first girl in my high school to take automechanics (after having to get my parents involved with the guidance counselor & the principle to do so...). I admit that I don't have a vast knowledge base about boats, like I do sports cars, but I like boats, I'm a VERY quick study, and now that we are in a place in our lives that it finally makes sense to buy one, I will be a MAJOR contributing factor to the purchase...ie: I'm bankrolling it. These guys need to realize that times have changed and sometimes it's the ladies who have the cash....
Spinderella95 is offline   Reply With Quote