Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2012, 09:27   #16

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: Circumnavigating with a Dog?

Here are a couple of sites to help guide you:

pet friendly travel, pet friendly hotel motel, pet vacation rentals, pet travel Alan Moses and David Eady

Pet Travel Private Yacht Boat - PetTravel.com

As indicated in the second link, you may not have to go through all the import paperwork if your pet does not go ashore at all. However, you should have the basic health certificates, pet passports, microchip implant, etc. before leaving, and it would be a good idea to contact the health departments of countries you plan to visit in advance.
Old 30-06-2012, 08:23   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I have a Jack Rascal Terror I adopted at the age 9 here in Ca. She is now almost 12. Her eyes are starting to fog a bit but she is still a 2 yr old in her head. I'm off to Mexico and the S. Pacific next year. I'm contemplating adopting her out. She likes routine and running room. I cannot provide either on a boat. For me, I need to think of her needs, not mine. Thanx for the input here. It will make my decision (what ever it is) easier.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 08:28   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

mexico is goood with critters--bring goggie to mex--you wont feel bad about missing goggie. they even have veterinarians here.....i am here with cat.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:43   #19
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Circumnavigating with a Dog ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesquaukee View Post
Both our dogs passed away. One was struck on the head by a coconut, the other from a broken heart. The cat is doing fine at the father inlaws after a near drowning.
You make the sailing thing sound quite unsafe for dogs.

I have started checking out entry requirements for the country we are likely to enter. All seem doable with the health clearance cert, pet documentation, vaccines and microchip.

Some, however, do require import permits to be acquired beforehand. And for some, the health cert must be less than 10 days old. I'm not sure if these countries make exceptions for cruising dogs. I guess we'll find out next year!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote